isa's

Old Jul 24th 2002, 9:30 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default isa's

hi gang,

Maybe this has been asked before but...

We started an isa last september which we pay a fairly large amount into each month.
If we're fortunate and can go to Oz next summer the isa will have only been going less than 2 yrs.

Can someone advise me whether if we cash it now we would get the money back that we've paid in ( because its less than a yr)

We would definitely cash it before we go anyway so is it worth leaving it in until the last minute or not??

Thanks for your help yet again!
Old Jul 24th 2002, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: isa's

Hi not a good time for any share based investments, also there are no guarantees as they can go up but lately they have gone well down,we had a few that had been in force for a few years but 6 weeks ago decided to consolidate and encash em phew! really glad we did as they have bombed since.
We have left 2 small ones still going but they have dropped 80% (tech isa`s)about £2500 originally so just leaving them for a long time in the future when hopefuly we will be in OZ.
Really isa`s are a long term investment.
This is just the way I see it though as a layman.
Experts might give proper advice eg Alan Collet

Not trying to scare you

Paul
Old Jul 24th 2002, 9:58 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

wondering if we may just be better to cut our losses now rather than lose more...esp when were gonna cash it anyway??????
Old Jul 24th 2002, 11:04 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yvonne.

ISA's are usually unit linked, which means they are directly linked to the vagaries of the Stock Market. As such the value of your ISA is likely to be looking a tad poor at the moment - you should be able to obtain its current value by telephoning the ISA provider and asking them to send you a current valuation.

I can't answer the question about future expectations as to its value - you really need to ask the question of a financial planner and/or a clairvoyant :-))

Personally I think the market's over-sold and sentiment will change, but that's not a recommendation ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by yvsie
hi gang,

Maybe this has been asked before but...

We started an isa last september which we pay a fairly large amount into each month.
If we're fortunate and can go to Oz next summer the isa will have only been going less than 2 yrs.

Can someone advise me whether if we cash it now we would get the money back that we've paid in ( because its less than a yr)

We would definitely cash it before we go anyway so is it worth leaving it in until the last minute or not??

Thanks for your help yet again!
Old Jul 25th 2002, 7:48 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

Thanks Alan...

never thought of just phoning for an evaluation....bit thick!
Old Jul 25th 2002, 8:37 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by yvsie
Hi Yvonne, since you're going away next summer that's 12 months away and a lot can happen in that time. I follow CNBC quite a bit and the key learning is Do Your Own Research - the so-called experts are wrong just as often as they are right in which way the market is going.

I'm no IFA (thankgod! The only investment advice I took from an IFA turned out to be rubbish and the worst investment I have made!), but I think the UK/ European markets are oversold, will maybe carry on going down a bit more as markets tend to swing too far up and down rather than being efficient, but within 12 months will swing back up again.

Enough of my stock platitudes
Old Jul 25th 2002, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Yvonne,

We too have an ISA, had it now a few years it's one though where we dont take a big risk in investments. Apparently there are different ISA Accounts where some do take big risks on the stock market etc.

If you know what kind of risk is taken and it's only the low risk I personally would leave it where it is.

Good Luck with it all one more head ache to put up with....

Julie x