Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Irritating Australianisms

Irritating Australianisms

Old Jun 10th 2003, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised the old thong one hasn't come up - flip flops. Got a bit concerned when my wife's male cousin suggested I wear my thongs by the pool!

The youse one isn't that unique - Scots and Liverpudlians are prone to this one. I wouldn't be surprised if we could trace a fair few of the Australian pronunciations to the various corners of the UK.

Another one on the 'everything shortened with an O' was the cousin's girlfriend expressing her appreciation of a meal with the exclamation 'YUMMMMO'.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

jane03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Irritating Australianisms

Originally posted by PeteY
Just wondering if anyone else finds a few of the pronunciations the Aussies come out with a bit irritating!! Some certainly get under my skin for some reason

A couple my wife uses that drive me up the wall....

Yoghurt. Pronounced YOW-GET

Aquatic. Pronounced A-KWOD-IC

Youth hostel. Pronounced YOUTH HOST-ELE

Don't worry...they don't annoy me that much....

Anyone have any more?

Don't forget Pasta - we Aussie's say PAR STAR not PASS STAR

Creche - we say Craysh not Cresh

Brisbane is Brizbin not Brizbayne

Melbourne is Mellbin not Melbayne

Don't forget that your pronounciations sound as odd to us! It's all what you are used to and I did notice that Harry Kewl slipped straight back into it upon reaching home shores this week. lol
Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by james & bev
brock-a-lie & yow-get its sounds like the black country has been transported to Aus. Hope they don't have toys-r-us shops in aus its got very confusing here in dudley they have a opened one called toys-am-we.
Seriously? Then expect Toys-R-Us to go after them for infrigement.

Heading for the UK soon. Do they have the ubiquitous "Starbucks" coffee franchise over there yet? They're buggers for going after small businesses that they feel are playing around (even in the remotest way) with their name.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by james & bev
brock-a-lie & yow-get its sounds like the black country has been transported to Aus. Hope they don't have toys-r-us shops in aus its got very confusing here in dudley they have a opened one called toys-am-we.
Wait for the law suit.....
Old Jun 11th 2003, 1:48 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Just wondering if anyone else finds a few of the pronunciations the Aussies come out with a bit irritating!! Some certainly get under my skin for some reason

Anyone have any more?

English ......................................Aus

(Cornish) Pasty ........................PaRsty (add an R)
Sadist--------------------------------Sad - ist ( said like sad as in unhappy)
Memo-------------------------------- Me.... Mo ( sounds like "little me" in Austin Powers!)

See you later ----------------------See's yous Laters (add a few "s's to everything and say this sentence to total strangers who you will not be seeing later!)

Greasy .................................. GreaZY (change all S's in any word which contains a Z ,Grassy = GraZZy - works the other way too change a Z word to an S)

Names:
Anthony ................................ "AnTHony Hopkins"( said with an TH even if you pronounce your name as "Antony" with a silent H)
Ceri........................................ seri, sheri. cheri

If they are not adding an O to the end of words- they add an "ies" - as in "support our Firies" (support our firemen), or Bikies (motorcyclists/bikers)

Probably left a lot off, it's hard thinking of them now, you notice it when you first get to Aus but after you live here for a while you don't tend to notice it any more.

The thong thing - you must get used to saying it if you wear them, they do not understand Flip flops - just don't go back to Britain in the future and slip out with "OOh I think I'll wear my thongs to the pub tonight!"

cheers

P.S. I pronounce Yoghurt as Yow -Get (always have) - Hubby pronounces it as Yog -gut (sounds too posh to me "ok Ya")
Old Jun 11th 2003, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pete!

heres a few for ya:

pastie as in cornish pastie = parr sty
pasta said as parrsta
the place Doncaster don carster!

the way these words are said really gets on my nerves!

also comments like: he's as mad as......[but dont say what!!!???]

Thats as funny as..................[......"......".................]

The expected reply when asked how are you? is "Good thanks!"

if you say anything but this, you get strange looks! if youre from London as i am, its hard to not say, 'yeah, fine thanks! or 'great!' 'alright' 'not bad' etc. but no!.....the word is GOOD!!

Cheers!
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:58 am
Just Joined

sarah2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by poggle
Hi Pete!

heres a few for ya:

pastie as in cornish pastie = parr sty
pasta said as parrsta
the place Doncaster don carster!

the way these words are said really gets on my nerves!

also comments like: he's as mad as......[but dont say what!!!???]

Thats as funny as..................[......"......".................]

The expected reply when asked how are you? is "Good thanks!"

if you say anything but this, you get strange looks! if youre from London as i am, its hard to not say, 'yeah, fine thanks! or 'great!' 'alright' 'not bad' etc. but no!.....the word is GOOD!!

Cheers!
This thread is sounding more and more insulting. We don't purport to speak the "Queen's English" nor want to. Our language/ lingo/ coloquialisms are unique to us and reflect our culture, attitude, history, and lifestyle. The majority here want Australia to be a republic free of the english head of state and the burden of english colonialism. Australia is a very culturally diverse nation. It's insulting and ignorant for anyone to infer that the language of England is our language or that your grasp on our language is superior.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

sarah2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have any more?

This thread is sounding more and more insulting. We don't purport to speak the "Queen's English" nor want to. Our language/ lingo/ coloquialisms are unique to us and reflect our culture, attitude, history, and lifestyle. The majority here want Australia to be a republic free of the english head of state and the burden of english colonialism. Australia is a very culturally diverse nation so it's insulting and ignorant for anyone to infer that your language is our language or that your grasp on our language is superior.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:09 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sarah2003
This thread is sounding more and more insulting. We don't purport to speak the "Queen's English" nor want to. Our language/ lingo/ coloquialisms are unique to us and reflect our culture, attitude, history, and lifestyle. The majority here want Australia to be a republic free of the english head of state and the burden of english colonialism. Australia is a very culturally diverse nation. It's insulting and ignorant for anyone to infer that the language of England is our language or that your grasp on our language is superior.

Ok, i guess you are allowed your opinion....BUT....your language IS English whichever way you want to look at it.

Now, i appologise if you find this thread insulting, its certainly not meant to be. I take it from your post that you are an aussie? Australians are VERY quick to "pay out" the way us poms speak, and i have found nearly all aussies can take it when we try and do the same back...

We are'nt comlpaining about your version of english, we are merely "expressing our amusment", at your adaptation of english.

My wife, and most aussies have no problem "expressing amusment" at me when i open me trap. Often when i was over there i regularly got "ewww say that again" and similar.

Take it with a pinch of salt. Most people on this forum love Australia and Australians.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 1:47 pm
Badge

can I just say Sarah that when people have answered and posted to this thread - they probably mean it in an endearing way - the thread has moved away from "irritating" to "amusing/funny"..people are now just pointing them out.

Old Jun 11th 2003, 2:19 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

At a restaurant in Brisbane recently I ordered a broccoli and cheese tart, which of course made my Southern Englist accent very obvious indeed. The waiter was quite amused, beamed at me and said "I love your accent", which put me totally at ease and stopped me feeling like I should try to hide it.

I found in my short time in Oz that I became very endeared to the accents I heard and felt that my own was somewhat boring by comparison!

Old Jun 11th 2003, 3:48 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

You're taking it too seriously we are just explaining to those who have never been to oz what the difference in pronunciations are - then they will not make any mistakes to embarass them when they arrive
Old Jun 11th 2003, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is sounding more and more insulting. We don't purport to speak the "Queen's English" nor want to...
I think you have to allow people their accents wherever you are from or wherever they are from. HOWEVER, that does not stop SOME pronounciations from being darn-right annoying:

Do people in Oz (am I allowed to say"Oz"?) use "sow-thern" (as in the pig) instead of "southern" like a minority do over in North America? That one gets me.

Don't you find (anyone?) that the longer you spend in a country the less and less you actually even hear the accent anymore. that is, untill a certain word just leaps out and smacks you right in the proverbial gob.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 7:47 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by TimEh?
I think you have to allow people their accents wherever you are from or wherever they are from. HOWEVER, that does not stop SOME pronounciations from being darn-right annoying:

Do people in Oz (am I allowed to say"Oz"?) use "sow-thern" (as in the pig) instead of "southern" like a minority do over in North America? That one gets me.

Don't you find (anyone?) that the longer you spend in a country the less and less you actually even hear the accent anymore. that is, untill a certain word just leaps out and smacks you right in the proverbial gob.
I certainly don't notice the wifes accent anymore, even though we still live in the UK. Until she says AKWODIC that is....

Old Jun 11th 2003, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I certainly don't notice the wifes accent anymore, even though we still live in the UK. Until she says AKWODIC that is....

Went for a holiday to see my family in Melbourne with my 4 year old daughter and she came back after 3 weeks sounding more Australian than me. Very noticeable was how she said Warder, instead of water

My Mum tells me that when we emigrated to Australia (I was 9) I lost my english accent within about 4 weeks of being there.

After living in the UK for 10 years all my family and friends in Oz say that I now talk really posh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.