Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Irish and Moving to Perth

Irish and Moving to Perth

Old Apr 27th 2008, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

karyn brown is just really nicekaryn brown is just really nicekaryn brown is just really nicekaryn brown is just really nicekaryn brown is just really nicekaryn brown is just really nicekaryn brown is just really nicekaryn brown is just really nice
Smile Re: Irish and Moving to Perth

Thanks Caroline that would be grate just to be able to talk to someone in the same boat. My husband Rod, would like to talk to another plasterer, just to see what they think of the prospects of working in Perth. There seems to be great opportunities but you always have concerns and its nice to air these with people in the same situation.

Regards Karyn
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Irish and Moving to Perth

Hi to All of you.

I am in Perth. Yes married with three kids.Been here two and half years. Did citizenship test today ,so on my way to been an Aussie.

My eldest is an apprentise hairdresser and her boyfriend ( Aussie) is a plasterer.I could pound his brains to find out more.( Yes please give me the excuse)

Best of luck with the move and if you need any help, just ask.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Roy and Caroline is on a distinguished road

Hi There,

Any information on the plastering side of things in perth would be greatly appreciated and also if you have any get any info from him on carpenters it would be fantastic as 2 more of our friends going out are carpenters and dont know much about the work out there . Thank you so much for your help. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards
Caroline and Roy
Old May 1st 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Roy and Caroline
Hi There,

Any information on the plastering side of things in perth would be greatly appreciated and also if you have any get any info from him on carpenters it would be fantastic as 2 more of our friends going out are carpenters and dont know much about the work out there . Thank you so much for your help. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards
Caroline and Roy

Hi There,
Ok was asked to ask these questions before they can give more info. How old you are (Roy) and what type of Visa you are entering Australia on. Not sure why but I think it has something to do with the buddy system. They are trying to find out a bit more for you about the carpenter side of things aswell. Hope you hear about your visa soon.

Wendy
Old May 1st 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karyn brown
Hi, I am also new on this site. I hope to immigrate to Perth from Northern Ireland with my husband (a plasterer) and our three kids. Just wanted to ask you a few questions as we are at the stage of not knowing what to do for the best. Are u using a ageny and if so who? Has your partner arranged a job? I would be grateful if you would reply just letting us know what to do for the best.
Hi karyn.

We came to perth in jan 06. We had never been to Australia before. Gave up our two really good jobs, sold our beach side large house and uprooted our three children on a chance of a better life.

We have just passed our citizenship test and have applied to become Australian citizens. We have no intention of ever returning to Ireland to live. My 20 yr old daughter has thanked us for bringing her here. My 13 yr old never wants to return to Ireland even for a holiday. and my 7yr old , well he is happy where ever he is. But only during the week he asked after three days of rain when was it going to stop as he hated having to wear shoes. We also feel very cold in 18 deg. temps.
We love it here. We were lucky as we landed on our feet. It is the life style that suits us, because you entertain at home not in pubs. You spend most of your spare time outside. You do eat healthier.

I had to return to Dublin in Feb for the unexpected funeral of my beloved Dad. I hated every minute of been in Ireland. i found that in two yrs people had become so unfriendly,rude and so stressed. Everything is so expensive and the queues and stupid. I have not had to wait in a queue longer than two people here yet.

Thats a brief summary. If anybody needs any further info just ask. Even if you think that its stupid. Its the silly things that actually matter. My Eldest was worried about slang language for teens before she got here. My Husband said it was stupid. Well it turned out to be a valid concern, even for the likes of me. Did you know that at home in Ireland we root in the press because we are looking for something. Over here rooting is something completely different, I happened to find out to my embarrasment.
Old May 1st 2008, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Post Re: Irish and Moving to Perth

Hi Wendy,

Roy is going over on a skilled migration visa which is the permenent one and im going on the years visa and getting the defacto visa when im over there which means me going on his visa as his partner as im sure you already know it was easier to do it this way as roy had applied for his visa before we met and we didnt want to mess things up or delay it anybit. If your daughters boyfriend even can find out the best places to look for work in perth when he gets over it would be fantastic to know. Im not too worried about myself as I have been in sales for the last ten years and have some work contacts. but any info at all as I said allready would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million
Old May 1st 2008, 12:01 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Roy and Caroline
Hi Guys

We are new to this forum. We are Irish just waitng on the call to say we havet the visa applied last august. We are heading to perth.Im in Sales myself and my boyfriend is a plasterer. Any irish on this in our situation or any of you in perth that can give us some info anything would be really appreciated

Kindest Regards
Caroline & Roy

Hi Caroline and Roy,
Welcome to the site! Its great for people all over, not just the Irish . I'm also an Augustee so make sure you update your timeline there too. There's also the Anyone from Ireland thread which answers questions specifically relating to migrating from Ireland.
Best of luck with it.

Me and my pal, Melbourne, are off to Melbourne! But I have relatives in Perth - who all love it there.
Bye for now,
Irish Gal
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

ebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the rough

hi caroline from cork and limerick girl! im from limerick too but been living in uk for last few years. my hubby is from n.z and we move out to perth in june ,i cant wait to go.my name is breda and ive got 2 year old triplets so my nite life sucks hoping to make friends during daylight as rolling out of pubs doesnt apply any more.! we are going to give the kids a better life , we did look seriously at moving back to limerick but nothing in my husbands line of work over there so off we go. we are looking at moving to mandurah hopefully , where are you planning to move. hope it all goes well for you all.
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:11 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ebonski
hi caroline from cork and limerick girl! im from limerick too but been living in uk for last few years. my hubby is from n.z and we move out to perth in june ,i cant wait to go.my name is breda and ive got 2 year old triplets so my nite life sucks hoping to make friends during daylight as rolling out of pubs doesnt apply any more.! we are going to give the kids a better life , we did look seriously at moving back to limerick but nothing in my husbands line of work over there so off we go. we are looking at moving to mandurah hopefully , where are you planning to move. hope it all goes well for you all.
Whereabouts in Limerick are you from? I live in Castletroy. Job prospects arent good here I have to say. I was made redundant last year (120 of us) and there are more jobs cuts coming with Dell so there's loads of people looking for work.

I have 3 kids so happy to be at home - and hoping to remain a stay-at-home mother in Melbourne! Heading there at the end of June
Irish Gal
Old May 4th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

ebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the rough

hi irish gal,im from ballykeeffe/dooradoyle but castletroy and monaleen used to be my old stomping ground when i was at school (laurel hill) as all my school friends were from there. bet we know the same people
my brother has moved back to sydney after working in dell for 2 years , he left just in time. its really worrying about the job situation there especially with aer lingus pulling out. i find it so hard to get back to limerick now for a few days that i might as well be in oz . im hoping to be a stay at home mother too ,just handed my notice in at work the other day which is weird as ive neve been a kept woman before but im looking forward to playing outside with the kids and having a simpler lifestyle. who needs money when youve got the weather
how haveyour family taken the news? mine are devastated even though they always knew it was going to happen.im going back home next week for 6 weeks to say goodbye to everyone and its not going to be fun, just lots of tears.this is my last week in the uk and i havent even started packing so im panicking a bit now but at least the house is sold....just! are you almost ready?
well thats enough questions i think ,great to gear from you
breda
we are flying out on the 25th june what date do you go?
Old May 4th 2008, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Ails is an unknown quantity at this point

hi irish gal,im from ballykeeffe/dooradoyle but castletroy and monaleen used to be my old stomping ground when i was at school (laurel hill) as all my school friends were from there. bet we know the same people
my brother has moved back to sydney after working in dell for 2 years , he left just in time. its really worrying about the job situation there especially with aer lingus pulling out. i find it so hard to get back to limerick now for a few days that i might as well be in oz . im hoping to be a stay at home mother too ,just handed my notice in at work the other day which is weird as ive neve been a kept woman before but im looking forward to playing outside with the kids and having a simpler lifestyle. who needs money when youve got the weather
how haveyour family taken the news? mine are devastated even though they always knew it was going to happen.im going back home next week for 6 weeks to say goodbye to everyone and its not going to be fun, just lots of tears.this is my last week in the uk and i havent even started packing so im panicking a bit now but at least the house is sold....just! are you almost ready?
breda
Hi All, recognise some of the names. We are currently getting the TRA's together and have been for the last 6 weeks boo hoo. Hoping to be in Perth this time next year. Applying for a sub class 176. Love the Irish tread.

Ails
Old May 4th 2008, 10:07 pm
Oh, George.....

breda
Wow! We're flying out on the 26th June. Its coming round fast isn't? Yes, Limerick is having a tough time at the moment with job losses so your brother is lucky. My redundancy is really the catalyst for us going: Plus my sister has been living there for the past 11 years which makes it easier etc. My mother is hoping to apply for a CPV and goes to Oz every 12-18 months which wont be too bad. Its my OH's family that will be losing out; taking their only grandchildren etc.

Looking forward to being a stay at home mom too - just can't wait to get settled. My other cousin from Limerick (Rhebogue) is moving back to Perth in November. She's getting married so there's going to be a bit of an Irish-Oz reunion then. Looking forward to it
Old May 5th 2008, 12:31 pm
Loving Perth!

mand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to all

Originally Posted by karyn brown
Hi, I am also new on this site. I hope to immigrate to Perth from Northern Ireland with my husband (a plasterer) and our three kids. Just wanted to ask you a few questions as we are at the stage of not knowing what to do for the best. Are u using a ageny and if so who? Has your partner arranged a job? I would be grateful if you would reply just letting us know what to do for the best.
Hi Karyn,

I read your other post about being unsure about going.... We applied for our visa in March and so we are now playing the waiting game before hearing anything. We used the agency Visa-Go who we found through an emigrating show. The cost is obviously more but it makes things a lot easier as they tell you when to do everything & check all the paperwork before it is sent off.

We haven't got jobs to go to, although we did email our CVs to agencies in Perth. They basically told us that there isn't anythign they can do to help until we have a better idea of when we'll be going

I don't think everyone else will be able to tell you what the best decision is, personally I wouldn't be going if I was as unsure as you sound, although everyone deals with these things differently x
Old May 8th 2008, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Irish and Moving to Perth

Hi Guys

Just a quick question does anybody know what the citizenship test consits of and wendy if your online at any stage did you get any news on the plastering/carpentery side of things for me. any info much appreciated

Thanks a million