Reload this Page >

Irish in Brisbane

Irish in Brisbane

Old Aug 6th 2007, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Ange27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Irish in Brisbane

Hi
Just wondering if there are any /many of ye in/going to Bisbane.

My OH & i are leaving Cork in 3weeks and have had a change of mind from Perth to Brisbane!!!

Hope we are making the right decision...could you offer any advice on suburbs as we are back to start regarding our research...what is the work situation like, my OH is a carpenter & i'm an accountant

any advice very welcome

thanx

ange
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Irish in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Ange27
Hi

My OH & i are leaving Cork in 3weeks and have had a change of mind from Perth to Brisbane!!!

Hope we are making the right decision...could you offer any advice on suburbs as we are back to start regarding our research...what is the work situation like, my OH is a carpenter & i'm an accountant

any advice very welcome

thanx

ange
Hi Ange

Wish there were more Irish coming to the GC - I'm surrounded by Poms down here (including my OH) I'm from Galway and we moved here in March last year and love it. John is an electrician. I'm sure you've made a good decision - the unknown is very tough, isn't it? The next few weeks will be hard, but Brisbane is a great city and this is a good time to move as we're getting near the end of Winter (think June is Ireland)) If you need any help, please pm me. Love Michelle x
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:46 pm
Dublin to Sunshine Coast

goat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Hi Ange

Wish there were more Irish coming to the GC - I'm surrounded by Poms down here (including my OH) I'm from Galway and we moved here in March last year and love it. John is an electrician. I'm sure you've made a good decision - the unknown is very tough, isn't it? The next few weeks will be hard, but Brisbane is a great city and this is a good time to move as we're getting near the end of Winter (think June is Ireland)) If you need any help, please pm me. Love Michelle x
Hi !

We live in Dublin (Mrs from Mayo & I'm 'London Irish'/plastic!)

We plan to be in the Gold coast /Brissie area by Xmas.

Mrs is a primary teacher & i am an estate agent (& Irish musician!) anyone up for starting a session over there?! - is there much of an 'Irish music' scene there??

We also changed our minds from Perth , but we may travel around Oz for a while deciding where to settle (will depend on where we get a good vibe, employment , weather , house prices etc...) , but we really like the sound of Brisbane & surrounds.

How are you finding the property market over there?
Also any pointers on primary school teaching/real estate (ie. are there vacancies, best/worst areas, wages etc) would be great !!

Best of luck Ange!! (we often go to friends in Cork- Carrigaline)

Our medicals are booked for this thursday in Galway.... must lay off the scoops !

Best of luck lads, can we start the 'Paddies forum?'............
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:58 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Ireland (Kildare, Dublin, Wicklow) for many years but born in England! Wife and kids all Irish. We all live in Tanah Merah which is about half way between gold coast and brisbane. Few Irish around but lots of descendants 1st and 2nd generation so you can still get the craic!
www.irishozforum.com is an Irish to oz forum but not as busy as this one of course! Also always happy to meet up with other Irish .............

Andrew
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by goat eyes
Hi !

We live in Dublin (Mrs from Mayo & I'm 'London Irish'/plastic!)

We plan to be in the Gold coast /Brissie area by Xmas.

Mrs is a primary teacher & i am an estate agent (& Irish musician!) anyone up for starting a session over there?! - is there much of an 'Irish music' scene there??

We also changed our minds from Perth , but we may travel around Oz for a while deciding where to settle (will depend on where we get a good vibe, employment , weather , house prices etc...) , but we really like the sound of Brisbane & surrounds.

How are you finding the property market over there?
Also any pointers on primary school teaching/real estate (ie. are there vacancies, best/worst areas, wages etc) would be great !!

Best of luck Ange!! (we often go to friends in Cork- Carrigaline)

Our medicals are booked for this thursday in Galway.... must lay off the scoops !

Best of luck lads, can we start the 'Paddies forum?'............
Great - more Paddies on the GC... Sorry, don't know too much about real estate/teaching, but I'm sure there are plenty of others on here who can help with that.

Speaking of music, my cousin is hoping to move over after Christmas. He's the bass player in Aslan - not the same sort of music I know, but I'm sure he'd be good for a session or two............

Good luck with the meds - are they with Dr Little in The Crescent? If so, believe me, you'll fly through them - wait until you see his surgery - very posh .................

If you need any help or have any questions about the GC or whatever, just pm me. Best of luck with the move. Michelle x
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andrew63
Lived in Ireland (Kildare, Dublin, Wicklow) for many years but born in England! Wife and kids all Irish. We all live in Tanah Merah which is about half way between gold coast and brisbane. Few Irish around but lots of descendants 1st and 2nd generation so you can still get the craic!
www.irishozforum.com is an Irish to oz forum but not as busy as this one of course! Also always happy to meet up with other Irish .............

Andrew
Hi Andrew

Just a reminder, your better half said she'd send me an email next time you're all down this direction about meeting up, but I haven't heard anything yet. I was thinking we could maybe meet half way - I fancy going to have a look at that new Irish bar at Calypso Bay? PM me if you like. Love Michelle x
Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Ange27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

We'd def be up for a session....& glad to hear there are one are two other folk in GC / Brisbane area..as i said, early stages of our research again..but hey this time 3weeks we'll be there and cant wait.

Gd luck with the medicals...

Ange
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:27 am
Dublin to Sunshine Coast

goat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Irish in Brisbane

Great - more Paddies on the GC... Sorry, don't know too much about real estate/teaching, but I'm sure there are plenty of others on here who can help with that.

Speaking of music, my cousin is hoping to move over after Christmas. He's the bass player in Aslan - not the same sort of music I know, but I'm sure he'd be good for a session or two............

Good luck with the meds - are they with Dr Little in The Crescent? If so, believe me, you'll fly through them - wait until you see his surgery - very posh .................

If you need any help or have any questions about the GC or whatever, just pm me. Best of luck with the move. Michelle x
Yup, Dr Little is yer man! Looking forward to speedy medical in posh surroundings! - do you have to fast or anything before it?

I've just been down to Doolin for the week playing trad - Mighty !!
Looking forward to playing a session with Aslan man !
"how can I protect you in dis crazy woorld !!"

Thanks for the PM offer- we will take you up on that i'm sure !
make sure you PM us if you are up in Dublin & we could meet for a pint & a quick chat (Mrs & I are both 33ys old BTW)

ps. www.overheardindublin.com always cracks me up - worth a look!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goat eyes
Yup, Dr Little is yer man! Looking forward to speedy medical in posh surroundings! - do you have to fast or anything before it?

I've just been down to Doolin for the week playing trad - Mighty !!
Looking forward to playing a session with Aslan man !
"how can I protect you in dis crazy woorld !!"

Thanks for the PM offer- we will take you up on that i'm sure !
make sure you PM us if you are up in Dublin & we could meet for a pint & a quick chat (Mrs & I are both 33ys old BTW)

ps. www.overheardindublin.com always cracks me up - worth a look!
Got the book.... Em, I'm afraid we're a bit far away to meet up in Dublin for a pint - sounds good though

The Dr Little experience is mad - although he is my Mam and Dad's doctor and I'm sure she told me he'd moved recently. I wouldn't worry about fasting - in fact I wouldn't worry about anything - the medical is over before you know it - thoroughness wouldn't be one of Dr Little's strong points... Let me know how you get on.

We're a "bit" older - 41 and 45 (young at heart though.) Two kids - 14 and 10. I see you've applied around the same time as Tony (Aslan), so hopefully they'll get called for their meds soon. All the best. Michelle x
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi all,

We'd def be up for a session....& glad to hear there are one are two other folk in GC / Brisbane area..as i said, early stages of our research again..but hey this time 3weeks we'll be there and cant wait.

Gd luck with the medicals...

Ange
Ange, I have friends from Galway who moved to Brisbane back in November last year. They rented for a while and have just bought in Brighton. PM me if you like and I'll give you her email address - I'm sure she wouldn't mind helping out with any questions you have about Brissie suburbs. All the best. Michelle x
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

qwertyuiop will become famous soon enoughqwertyuiop will become famous soon enough

Hey Michelle, My nephew is the drummer with Big Generator from Portumna.....Knows Mcguinness very well.....next time you see him tell him Macca says hello
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

qwertyuiop will become famous soon enoughqwertyuiop will become famous soon enough

Hi

any advice very welcome

thanx

ange
Djya make it down under yet Ange??
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qwertyuiop
Hey Michelle, My nephew is the drummer with Big Generator from Portumna.....Knows Mcguinness very well.....next time you see him tell him Macca says hello
Will do I need to email him tonight, so I'll mention it then. What's your own story? x