Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Ipswich really that bad ????

Is Ipswich really that bad ????

Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold
Default Is Ipswich really that bad ????

I have seen a few bad posts on here regarding Ipswich, but they go back to 2003 are things still not so good there. I really like the look of the houses there, they all seem to have mountain views and the houses themselves look fab. Anybody got any adivice please
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is Ipswich really that bad ????

Originally Posted by The S's
I have seen a few bad posts on here regarding Ipswich, but they go back to 2003 are things still not so good there. I really like the look of the houses there, they all seem to have mountain views and the houses themselves look fab. Anybody got any adivice please
Like most places good areas and not so. Brisbane's growth will eventually remove the old Ipswich stigma. Depends on what rocks your boat. If the place was that bad no-one would live there.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Like most places good areas and not so. Brisbane's growth will eventually remove the old Ipswich stigma. Depends on what rocks your boat. If the place was that bad no-one would live there.
Well wombat thats what I thought, but some of the things on here scare the living daylights out of you whether it be true or not. Hubs has seen quite a few jobs there for him and as I sadi previous the houses look pretty decent to me. At the moment its like sticking a pin in a map not sure where really to look for, not really into paying premiums for coast side just want somewhere safe and secure. I know everyone seems to be headin for bayside but not so important for us
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did'nt realise the time gotta be up crack of tomorrow, Its now 12:50am gotta go kipster, so will look out for you tomorrow

Sadie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:56 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i've never been to ipswich (thank god) so this isn't any of my opinions, but even the people i know who are either from there, or live there at the moment can't wait to get out.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Well wombat thats what I thought, but some of the things on here scare the living daylights out of you whether it be true or not. Hubs has seen quite a few jobs there for him and as I sadi previous the houses look pretty decent to me. At the moment its like sticking a pin in a map not sure where really to look for, not really into paying premiums for coast side just want somewhere safe and secure. I know everyone seems to be headin for bayside but not so important for us
Like everywhere, Ipswich will have some good spots and some bad spots.

It can get hotter there though, one of the main attractions of the Bayside is the lower temps.
Some old info of mine: For example, on Jan 7th 2004, the maximum temperature recorded at Ipswich was 40.9°C, whilst at Brisbane Airport it was only 32.1°C.

Exactly 6 months later on July 7th (Winter) the lowest temperature recorded at Ipswich was -2.7°C, whilst at Brisbane Airport it was 4.0°C.

Currently the highest Temp in Ipswich in Dec 05 was 37.3°C on 6/12, whilst my area hit 32.4°C on the same day.

Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:22 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

just want somewhere safe and secure.
You see, if I was thinking about somewhere safe & secure, Ipswich would be one of the last places on my list .....
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You see, if I was thinking about somewhere safe & secure, Ipswich would be one of the last places on my list .....
I was out at Raceview the other day and didnt feel threatened in anyway The houses did not have a trailer trash look about them.
A good spot if you worked at Amberley. It's a matter of having a look for yourself.

No developer is going to build Ipswiches first apartment block without a certain degree of confidence. They must be certain of achieving sales.

WW
Old Dec 9th 2005, 1:08 am
ABCDiamond

Re Feeling "safe & Sound", a snip from: A Snapshot of Crime in Queensland February 1999 a PDF file.

the parts of Queensland most affected by residential break and enter are the southeastern urban areas and Cairns in the north.
Within the South-East, the areas most at risk are inner city neighbourhoods such as West End and Coorparoo, a band of lower income outer suburbs extending from Ipswich to Beenleigh, and Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. As noted, the rates for tourist destinations such as Cairns, Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach are inflated by the fact that they are based on the permanent rather than actual population.

and
The divisions in the State with the highest reported crime rates for offences against the person <..> Within the South-East corner, the highest rates are in the inner areas of Brisbane, and in Surfers Paradise. In the outer urban areas, the divisions with the highest rates are Ipswich, Inala and Logan Central.

Old Dec 9th 2005, 5:50 am
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We have looked at Ipswich and its suburbs and are most likely moving to Augustine Heights nr bellbird park. There are massive changes taking place and a huge area is making the district of Greater Springfield. Its commutable by train 25 mins to CBD and infastructure is being provided over the coming years. We have been all over brisbane from Pine Rivers to Goldcoast and of course bayside! But liked Augustine heights the best by far. Areas of Ipswich did look nice and millions of $$$$ are being invested in the area so that is normally only a good thing.

Funnily enough, we are also from Sutton Coldfield!!!

Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Did'nt realise the time gotta be up crack of tomorrow, Its now 12:50am gotta go kipster, so will look out for you tomorrow

Sadie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We have not been there but going on what the people at work say it's not a very good area, i would compare it to Falcon lodge or Chelmsley wood from what i have been told.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers guys,

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it

Regards
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Ipswich is fine but the Ipswich Motorway is a nightmare.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 8:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is Ipswich really that bad ????

Originally Posted by mary1
Ipswich is fine but the Ipswich Motorway is a nightmare.
We have a good friend from Ipswich - we have stayed with her twice and the area doesn't seem to be that different from others around Brisbane based on our experiences.

It does get VERY hot in summer though - 40 degrees + and VERY cold in winter - she reports minus six degrees on the coldest winter nights.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 9th 2005, 1:31 pm
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Ipswich is going to be a temporary home for us over Xmas (Long story, basically we are moving rentals at the worst possible time but... ... ...This is the short version.)

We have spent a fair bit of time in Ipswich as we have friends (ex Poms) and relatives in the area, they live at Bundamba, Flinders View, Brassall, Booval and Leichardt (Hope I spelt that correctly) As you can see we know a few people in a few different areas of Ipswich and we don't think LIVING there is any better/worse than other places we have lived (Sherwood, Chapel hill and Jindalee) The day to day things like getting up for work, driving to/from work - unless you have to travel along the Ipswich motorway - eating in/out, public transport, the list goes on is all great. Rents are cheaper, houses are bigger for less money! sometimes with a pool.
The one down point to Ipswich has got to be the CBD which is not good, it had a dark dingy feel to it, loads of shops are empty and it is spread out over a hot open hilly area. They have spent a bit of cash lately making the CBD a nicer looking place with grassed areas and sunshades but it will always lose customers to Redbank Plaza and the other good local indoor air conditioned joints, IMO Ipswich CBD is dead as but you don't need that as all the areas have local shopping centres where you can get all your day to day things and travel to Indooroopilly or Garden City for your Myer or Toysrus fix.

I am going to be spending Xmas in Ipswich so will get a much better feel for the place and report back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.