Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ipswich, Queensland

Wikiposts

Ipswich, Queensland

Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Timandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really nice
Default Re: Ipswich, Queensland

Originally Posted by The S's
Hi

We live in Karalee which is a suburb in eastern Ipswich. It is on the border of brisbane city council. We live a stones throw from the brisbane river. In fact the houses I can see out side the front of my house are across the river in Karana downs, which is a brisbane suburb. Both of these areas are fantastic, as previous poster said the crime rate here is zero and the comunity feel is great.
When we first landed here we had the same thoughts as just about all the poms who come here, that nothing exists apart from Bayside. We stayed in Birkdale when we first got here and didn't like it. We then moved to forest lake and started looking for a place to buy a house.
We also didn't much like forest lake, small plots and lots of people, however great facilities. To close to INALA
When we started looking we looked everywhere, from Victoria point, aquatic paradise, springfield lakes, all the way out to kholo.
In the end we fell in love with Karalee and Karana downs. We opted for Karalee as it has flater blocks. We also looked at mt crosby but it was just too quiet..
We didn't move here because we couldn't afford to live closer to brisbane or bayside, but because we loved it and I am sure you will too...
Would I won't to live closer to Ipswich or in the center???
NO CHANCE, ITS A DOGHOLE
thanks for the tip !!!
have been looking on realestate.com at houses in Karalee and Karana downs, they both look really beautiful!! we'll hopefully be able to take a better look when we come over.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:05 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/about_ipswich/index.php

I work in Ipswich and have done for over 3 years now, it is a great little place.
Ipswich's reputation is far from deserved and IMHO comes from ignorance and plain stupidity.
Ipswich is now the fastest growing town in SE QLD which in turn is the fastest growing portion of Australia, in short it is a boom town.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's bad areas like any place and the Ipswich motorway has to be one of the busiest and worst maintained roads in Australia (a new 6 lane bypass is being built)
but Ipswich is still head and shoulders over places like North Lakes and the other pommy mecca's (Anywhere with lakes in the name)

Areas to consider in Ippy central are Yamanto, Raceview, Brassall and further out on acreage maybe consider Rosewood or Lowood.

Good luck.

</IMG>
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:37 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

but Ipswich is still head and shoulders over places like North Lakes and the other pommy mecca's (Anywhere with lakes in the name)

I also hate anything with lakes in the name

I have talked a few people out of the lakes estate so I think i need some karma for that LOL

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/about_ipswich/index.php

I work in Ipswich and have done for over 3 years now, it is a great little place.
Ipswich's reputation is far from deserved and IMHO comes from ignorance and plain stupidity.
Ipswich is now the fastest growing town in SE QLD which in turn is the fastest growing portion of Australia, in short it is a boom town.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's bad areas like any place and the Ipswich motorway has to be one of the busiest and worst maintained roads in Australia (a new 6 lane bypass is being built)

Areas to consider in Ippy central are Yamanto, Raceview, Brassall and further out on acreage maybe consider Rosewood or Lowood.

Good luck.

</IMG>
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timandjayne
Thanks for that, we needed it. My head is totally mashed this morning.
I need a visit, book them flights i'm on my way.
Ipswich is absolutely miles away from the city and the roads to Brisbane are a nightmare (if that is where you have to work). Nothing to do there, very small town. Depends on your situation i.e whether you have kids, how old etc.

We took a drive there on a sunday recently and there was nothing open, no shops, not even a cafe for us to have something to eat. I would think nightlife, bars and restuarants are pretty lacking and as a previous poster said, it has a terrible reputation. The housing looked pretty run down and generally a bit of a dodgy area. it's also extremely dry out that way 'cos of our droughts - not much greenery in sight.

Sorry - but you asked!

I live in western suburbs (Kenmore) which is ok but if you can afford it and have young kids I would definitely recommend Sherwood, Chelmer, Graceville - very family areas, great amenities, on the train line (absolutely essential with the way this city is growing - cannot recommend this more highly), beautiful leafy area.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:47 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Hahaha...i love threads about Ipswich! I grew up in a small country town west of Ipswich and grew up knowing two things for certain: 1. Water is precious and 2. Ipswich is a sh**hole. The only place where anyone in my family has ever been robbed. My sister works in Real Estate there and has caught diseases inspecting some of the rental properties they manage and then a couple weeks ago she was held up and robbed at knife point in her office in the middle of a busy Saturday!!! By a tenant!!!! And if you're familiar with recent story of real estate admin lady being killed, you will realise just how thick ppl in Ipswich are - can't even make their crimes original.

I came back from 3 years in the UK thinking that I was just being ignorant and prejudiced and was even thinking of moving to Ipswich (still close to my Mum but close to the city and not too expensive) but OMG, after working there for 6 months, commuting an hour to work and back NOTHING could ever entice me to live there. The freaks in the streets, the dirty people loitering around the bus stops, just the general dirtiness of the whole town, the empty, untidy shops around the mall, the whole city centre is just so ... unloved. So much potential going to waste.

the other posters are right though about it being a boom area and I used to eagerly read anything I could on plans to revamp Ipswich CBD and upgrade the whole place. I suppose, despite the inward groan that always comes when I think of Ipswich, I have a strange affection for the old dump. It was the first "city" I ever drove in, it was where we always did our 'Christmas Shopping", my baby girl was born there (poor child I didn't want it on her Birth Certificate but that's illegal).

Go there and look around it can't hurt. Don't go into the toilets in the mall or you won't ever come back! And Toowoomba worth a look as well. Personally I couldn't handle the distance but I lived/worked there briefly a few years ago and it is a nice town. Plus I know a lot of interesting people from there. And you'd get a bit of the Australian 'country' living as well.

Lots of people are starting to buy up property in places like Boonah, Rosewood, Walloon etc and commute to Ipswich. These are little country towns that are also having a boom. Good investment-wise and benefit of country living for your kids. I grew up in one of those little towns and intend to move to a similar place when my daughter starts school. You can still send your kids to Ipswich for private school when they get to Secondary if you desire, although a lot of the smaller rural secondaries have decent reputations (Boonah for eg).

Good luck making your decision.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matildaskye

And Toowoomba worth a look as well. Personally I couldn't handle the distance but I lived/worked there briefly a few years ago and it is a nice town. Plus I know a lot of interesting people from there. And you'd get a bit of the Australian 'country' living as well.

Lots of people are starting to buy up property in places like Boonah, Rosewood, Walloon etc and commute to Ipswich. These are little country towns that are also having a boom. Good investment-wise and benefit of country living for your kids. I grew up in one of those little towns and intend to move to a similar place when my daughter starts school. You can still send your kids to Ipswich for private school when they get to Secondary if you desire, although a lot of the smaller rural secondaries have decent reputations (Boonah for eg).

Good to see somebody saying something nice about Toowoomba for a change We love it here.

Often seems to be that immigrants from the UK get sucked into thinking that they must live near the coast at all costs - we lived near the coast in the UK but hardly ever went to the beach

We are going to Boonah for Easter - hoping to do some bush walking. Beautiful countryside round there
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Hahaha...i love threads about Ipswich! I grew up in a small country town west of Ipswich and grew up knowing two things for certain: 1. Water is precious and 2. Ipswich is a sh**hole. The only place where anyone in my family has ever been robbed. My sister works in Real Estate there and has caught diseases inspecting some of the rental properties they manage and then a couple weeks ago she was held up and robbed at knife point in her office in the middle of a busy Saturday!!! By a tenant!!!! And if you're familiar with recent story of real estate admin lady being killed, you will realise just how thick ppl in Ipswich are - can't even make their crimes original.

I came back from 3 years in the UK thinking that I was just being ignorant and prejudiced and was even thinking of moving to Ipswich (still close to my Mum but close to the city and not too expensive) but OMG, after working there for 6 months, commuting an hour to work and back NOTHING could ever entice me to live there. The freaks in the streets, the dirty people loitering around the bus stops, just the general dirtiness of the whole town, the empty, untidy shops around the mall, the whole city centre is just so ... unloved. So much potential going to waste.

the other posters are right though about it being a boom area and I used to eagerly read anything I could on plans to revamp Ipswich CBD and upgrade the whole place. I suppose, despite the inward groan that always comes when I think of Ipswich, I have a strange affection for the old dump. It was the first "city" I ever drove in, it was where we always did our 'Christmas Shopping", my baby girl was born there (poor child I didn't want it on her Birth Certificate but that's illegal).

Go there and look around it can't hurt. Don't go into the toilets in the mall or you won't ever come back! And Toowoomba worth a look as well. Personally I couldn't handle the distance but I lived/worked there briefly a few years ago and it is a nice town. Plus I know a lot of interesting people from there. And you'd get a bit of the Australian 'country' living as well.

I absolutely agree with what you say, hill billy and pig thick redneck land. However as I said I love a lot of the surrounding suburbs, Minden for example. I think for anyone to live in Ipswich and work in brissy is a bit of a no no, too far.
As a previous poster said Graceville and sherwood are nice, also Corinda. But remember that in SEQ your never far away from a shitehole, rocklea
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:00 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke

</IMG>
At a cost of $2.3 billion for 8km of road . It ain't going to happen anytime soon and if it does it will take years to build.

If you've ever been to Bracknell or Swindon, that's what Ipswich town centre is like. Outlying suburbs look OK to me, some of them are quite pretty, but as others have said, it does have a terrible reputation. Karana Downs used to be part of Ipswich but a handful of residents campaigned to get it moved into Brisbane City. I think Karalee is still Ipswich.

If you can afford the likes of Sherwood etc. have a look at Fig Tree Pocket and Chapel Hill, much nicer IMO, more hilly and not so flat. Sherwood etc. have pretty houses but no other advantages over them.

Jane
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Timandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really nice

Nice to see you've still got a sense of humour I laughed my head off and we're still deciding all though we're thinking of Karalee and commuting to Ipswich. Wot do you think of there? Lets start another argument off now haha
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
At a cost of $2.3 billion for 8km of road . It ain't going to happen anytime soon and if it does it will take years to build.

If you've ever been to Bracknell or Swindon, that's what Ipswich town centre is like. Outlying suburbs look OK to me, some of them are quite pretty, but as others have said, it does have a terrible reputation. Karana Downs used to be part of Ipswich but a handful of residents campaigned to get it moved into Brisbane City. I think Karalee is still Ipswich.

If you can afford the likes of Sherwood etc. have a look at Fig Tree Pocket and Chapel Hill, much nicer IMO, more hilly and not so flat. Sherwood etc. have pretty houses but no other advantages over them.

Jane
Would agree about fig tree pocket and chapel hill (i live in kenmore which is right next to those suburbs) but there is one main road going from these suburbs into the city, moggill road, and it is a real problem, gridlocked with traffic, taking up to an hour to travel 10kms into the city in the morning. far better to have easy access to train, which sherwood, graceville, chelmer offer. just my opinion.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:06 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Would agree about fig tree pocket and chapel hill (i live in kenmore which is right next to those suburbs) but there is one main road going from these suburbs into the city, moggill road, and it is a real problem, gridlocked with traffic, taking up to an hour to travel 10kms into the city in the morning. far better to have easy access to train, which sherwood, graceville, chelmer offer. just my opinion.
I live nearly at the end of Moggill Road and agree its pretty dire, my boy's school bus can take an hour from Pullenvale to Toowong on Mondays. Jim and I are OK, though, 'cos I don't work and he works from Home. However, if its a train line you're after, Ipswich has one . Moggill Road will only get worse if this bypass does go ahead, as its the only way to get machines onsite. I can't see them using the ferry, somehow.

Jane