Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ipswich area, bad why?????

Ipswich area, bad why?????

Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Ipswich area, bad why?????

We've seen a few posts saying Ipswich area is less than desirable, including the surrounding suburbs. What we wanted to know was why? We have been looking at Collingwood Park specifically - seems like a nice up and coming area.

Any views anyone? Really interested in reasons, not just that it's not nice

Thanks everyone.....
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

IRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ipswich area, bad why?????

Originally Posted by tabby
We've seen a few posts saying Ipswich area is less than desirable, including the surrounding suburbs. What we wanted to know was why? We have been looking at Collingwood Park specifically - seems like a nice up and coming area.

Thanks everyone.....
We visited my cousin in Brisbane in 2003 and my hubbie played a game of football (not pro - just a kick about sunday league pub type of thing) in Ipswich.

It was evening time when he got there, so i'm afraid we can't tell you much about the area, but I will contact my cousin to find out more info.

Dawn
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IRONS
We visited my cousin in Brisbane in 2003 and my hubbie played a game of football (not pro - just a kick about sunday league pub type of thing) in Ipswich.

It was evening time when he got there, so i'm afraid we can't tell you much about the area, but I will contact my cousin to find out more info.

Dawn
Thanks Dawn. That will be great!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly its boiling in summer and cold in winter and not on the coast or near it, so why do people move there? because its cheap.

I imagine once it was a good honest working suburb, there was a lot of industry there. Now it attracts people who cant afford better areas. Reputations for bored teens, drag racing, crime, street violence start and probably get blown out of proportion, lots of housing comission, our equivalant of council houses. Australia has a very large unemployed population too and they obviously rent in cheaper suburbs.

I just wish the myth that australia does not have a class system would die on this forum, then it would all be easier to understand, if aussies can afford to live in a nice upper class suburb near a beach, they do. You get very much what you pay for.

Before anyone complains, the OP asked for a honest answer, its not just Ipswich, there are thousands of suburbs like this all over australia.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 20th 2005 at 7:38 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:18 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ipswich is generally a lower socio-economic area & with that comes the usual problems of youth like violence, hooning & general yob culture that Jad & Rich mentioned. Lots of unemployment & working class people scraping to get by. If you do a search on here for "Logan" or "Ipswich" you'll find quite a few posts by me discussing the area(s). Both are similar in outlook & fairly comparitive I think. Then add the distance from the CBD (the road in from Ipswich to Brisbane is well known to locals for bad traffic, better off to take the train) & the heat in summer & cold in winter & it all adds up.

Disclaimer : Its all relative to what you are used to. My comments are from the point of view of someone whos lived here all their life - the suburbs I mention as bad are bad relative to the rest of Brisbane - to someone coming from a bad area of the UK, they might think it was paradise.

In general, not somewhere I would want to live.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
If you do a search on here for "Logan" or "Ipswich" you'll find quite a few posts by me discussing the area(s).
Heres one by me, it also includes a link to one about Logan so you can get the general idea.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=logan
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Guys.

We appreciate your honesty here.

Back to looking around again I guess
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dave, Tracy & Emily is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone.....
I emigrated on the bases of a video of Ipswich, friends I made lived there and when I moved out there in 2000 I lived in Basin Pocket, Ipswich. People in Brisbane thought I was mad moving to the other side of the world based on a video of Ipswich, but I really enjoyed living there. I think it depends on the area, same as everywhere.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone.....
Because WBB lives there.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:38 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hoons and Hicks
( besides it's too inland for most, it gets higher temperatures than Brisbane)
Cheap housing tends to attract a certain element.

But there again there is no class system in Australia, so nobody in Brisbane looks down their nose on Ipswich of course ( aye)

Anyway in this classless society here. Ipswich has a bad reputation with a lot of people in Brisbane, which incidentally Ipswich keeps trying to throw off, and attract people to their area. It worked for Deadcliffe trying to throw off it's boring image with it's multi million dollar advertising campaign ( just goes to show you can make a silk purse out of a pigs ear in the mind of some people), so perhaps it will work for Ipswich, and they will attract people there.

Disclaimer, the above are not facts, but personal opinions ( i.e. most Ipswich people are not hoons or hicks, but some are ) .

This is a lot of Brisbane peoples perception of Ipswich, right or wrong. Can't tell you what it's like to actually live in Ipswich, it is not a place I would like to live ( too far inland, travelling times to Brisbane) and mostly because of the reputation of hoons and hicks, ie lower class, in this classless country.

cheers
Old Feb 21st 2005, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Ipswitch is also famous for a certain former Fish and Chip shop owner
Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:23 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Ipswitch is also famous for a certain former Fish and Chip shop owner

Nothing wrong with old Pauline, if you read through their ( one nation) policies from their own mouths ( when she was one nation), and not the quoted stories by the media and such, which in my opinion are total misconstrued.

The thing that I disagreed on the most was their gun policies, and family policies ( which were contradictory , if your read through their own policies).

The lady is not a racist, very , very far from it - now in my opinion this current standing government is racist . People should stop getting their facts from the "unbiased" media , and from other politicians views.

They were out for her blood. trouble with her, she did not have good PR, and doesn't carry her meaning very well. Now how much does little howards PR lot cost?

cheers
Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave, Tracy & Emily
People in Brisbane thought I was mad moving to the other side of the world based on a video of Ipswich,

That's right, most people in Brisbane do think that Ipswich is the other side of the world.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Koza is on a distinguished road

There are not bad looking bits in Ipswith... but generally you have to have a very serious reason to live there, not just the price

Collingwood park is fairly far from Ipsw. It is still hotter there, but it's not a housing commition suburb. It is a bit isolated from the rest by Goodna and Inala (again, not the places to be, though there has been some new development in Goodna, and if you are looking for new inexpensive house, you migth consider it). Traffic isn't very bad, mornings are OK (to CIty), but there is always a small jam before the Big Rounabout (crossection with Centenary). If you work nearby, Collingwood Park isn't so bad. Primary school is good. Thaere was a new development, too, thought older houses are liveble also.

As long as Logan was mentiond - would be wrong to say "place to keep away". Logan is huge, and Logan City Council works gut out to improve it's image. Sure, most of Kingston and Woodridge are not very attractive. (green, still ). But there is a lot of other suburbs - Browns Plains, Marsden, Waterford west, not to say Edens landing, Bethania or Tanah Merah. They are the last realtively inexpensive ones, and there are many good houses. It's close to the coast and has great infrastructure. The only problem is lack of public transport (which actually keeps people from Housing Comission houses away). It's quite, green and not so compressed as suburbs closer to City.

High schools may be not very good all round, I take my daughter from Crestmead to Indooroopilly (but I work in St Lucia)

cheers
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:45 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Koza
As long as Logan was mentiond - would be wrong to say "place to keep away". Logan is huge, and Logan City Council works gut out to improve it's image.
Have to agree! Sorry Mrs Dagboy - read through your anti-Logan crusade. It has changed a lot I reckon since you formulated your opinions. Sure I live here so am biased as you are towards your area.
My choice to live here was after very carfeul consideration of lots of areas and talking to lots of local people. Some of which are very welathy with huge houses >$1m. I do not think this is a "cheap" area at all with housing costing considerebly more here than other "well respected" areas according to this forum.

With regards to the type of area it is, if you look at Wynnum, average age is 30 - 39, in Tanah Merah it is 0 - 9. I have 3 kids and that is why I chose to live here. Not ready to retire just yet! Absoultely TONS for my kids to do and we came here to give them a great life. They have an incredibly busy social life including dancing, karate, scouts, basketball, bowling, AFL, cinema, skating, restaurants, shops, and many other things all less than 10 mins from home. Other areas offered some nice views! Great!
Other interesting stats: Wynnum = 11,000 people in 8 km, Tanah Merah = 4,000 people in 4 kms. So less overcrowding too!
Just an example of one of many beautiful areas of Logan in order to balance the equation. No need to sully the thread with more facts but to paint Logan with such a bad picture is very unfair to a prospective migrant. It's absolutely great - if you have young kids!
We love our house, up high on the hills, gentle breezes, close enough to the city and gold coast (30 mins drive) and even to Wynnum for fish and chips etc!

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.