Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

iphone OS4 - Anyone got it yet?

iphone OS4 - Anyone got it yet?

Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:08 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iphone OS4 - Anyone got it yet?

I did a hard reset on mine after updating and it runs fine. Will be getting the iPhone 4 at the end of the month when it's released and the missus will get my 3GS.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:10 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
lololol yes
I have a 3G and upgraded (!) to OS4 - I had to do a reset afterwards cause it was soooooo slow... (click the phone in iTunes and select Restore).
I did a complete restore (and so all my info was deleted - so make sure you back up everything you wanted) and it is working much better.
Still wish I could revert back to the old OS, but seems there is no way.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:45 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

If you jailbreak your iPhone you can enable multitasking and wallpaper with a simple hack:
http://pixelatedgeek.com/2010/06/ios...for-iphone-3g/

Of course, if you were wise and bought an Android based phone, you'd have real multitasking (and with it multi app notifications) by default....
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:30 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
If you jailbreak your iPhone you can enable multitasking and wallpaper with a simple hack:
http://pixelatedgeek.com/2010/06/ios...for-iphone-3g/

Of course, if you were wise and bought an Android based phone, you'd have real multitasking (and with it multi app notifications) by default....
My iphone is unlocked without jailbreaking and I'm happy to keep it that way lol
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:15 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Seems I'm not the only one having issues with OS4...today a school called me and my phone wouldn't let me answer, had enough of the many probs myself and others are encountering, time to try and downgrade back to OS3...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....t=255&tstart=1
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Seems to me not much different except for the multitasking which is useful.

Web pages do seem to load a tad slower and it refuses to allow me to swipe while waiting. Some apps are now closing of their own will in a way they didn't used to and mt CoPilot Live decided to give up the ghost last weekend.

Grrr
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Yea, but then you'd be stuck with an Android phone, so it's hardly a solution, is it?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea, but then you'd be stuck with an Android phone, so it's hardly a solution, is it?
Better than being stuck with a phone that keeps dropping out or requires the use of tape to stop it dropping out.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Better than being stuck with a phone that keeps dropping out or requires the use of tape to stop it dropping out.
Even if the iPhone only worked with morse code it'd be a superior product.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Even if the iPhone only worked with morse code it'd be a superior product.
So a superior product is one that does not perform it's core function as a phone properly?

To be quite honest, I would be waiting for Apple to fix the iPhone 4 reception problems before outlaying any cash. Let's hope Apple have rectified this prior to the Aussie release date.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:48 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Downloaded iOS4 last night - at the second attempt.

Took about two and a half hours to download in total and then another 20 to install etc.

Main difference is the multitasking and the new fornt end to the mail. The multitasking is sooo good - double press on the home button and all the running appes appear - swipe through and access the one you want.

Folders not a real help - far too small to see what's in there!

No obvious glitches and apparently the folders will be updated in due course.

Bezza
Am I missing something with this so called multitasking? all it seems to be is everytime you open anything on the phone, it now creates another link to it which you can access by double clicking on your home button, you eventually end up with everything you ever use down in that task bar type area, surely that cant be enhancing the phones performance??
I seem to be spending my whole type going in and closing things down to compensate.
Sure if you occasionally need to flick between things its a bit quicker but I dont see it really doing anything you couldnt do before.
It also seems to of quite heavily impacted the battery life.
Im not convinced by it...
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by steve99
Am I missing something with this so called multitasking? all it seems to be is everytime you open anything on the phone, it now creates another link to it which you can access by double clicking on your home button, you eventually end up with everything you ever use down in that task bar type area, surely that cant be enhancing the phones performance??
I seem to be spending my whole type going in and closing things down to compensate.
Sure if you occasionally need to flick between things its a bit quicker but I dont see it really doing anything you couldnt do before.
It also seems to of quite heavily impacted the battery life.
Im not convinced by it...
I'm inclined to agree with you. I haven't noticed any performance degradation, but the multi-tasking seems to be a bit pointless - but then I wasn't bothered by the way it worked before. I thought the multi-tasking was only going to apply to certain apps such as navigation software but as you point out, everything seems to end up in that little tray.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:25 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
I don't know anything about multitasking on the iphone as I've only briefly used my brother's iphone to have a play on the facebook app, maps, that kind of thing.

On a PC when I think of multitasking, I think of what I'm doing now... I have Chrome open with multiple tabs, sometimes some of those tabs take a while to load so I'll flick to another one (for example BE). Then itunes is open, playing music. There's also another couple of applications open doing their job too.

I imagine that on an iphone or other similar device, there isn't such a big need to multitask... particularly if you can open up a new application quickly and get it to do what you want, within a few seconds.

I would guess that people using android phones probably do very little multitasking. But the ability to multitask is probably "nice to have" nonetheless.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Looks like Apple could be recalling the iPhone 4.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...ml?autostart=1
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:48 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Looks like Apple could be recalling the iPhone 4.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...ml?autostart=1
There's a virus warning when you click on that link, be careful people!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.