Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

iPhone direct from Apple

iPhone direct from Apple

Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default iPhone direct from Apple

Anyone know what Apple are charging for unlocked iPhones at the Apple stores? My contract's up in a couple of months and I'm buggered if I'm signing on for another couple of years just so I can end up with an out-of-date phone that I paid twice as much for as I need to. So, anyone know they cost?

And no, I couldn't give a shit if you think an N97 or whatever is better, save your mobile phone willy-waving for another thread.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:07 pm
Degenerate

lolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant future
Default Re: iPhone direct from Apple

Why not jailbreak it for free? Jailbreak, then get the SIMunlock app.
Job done and I believe you can restore back to non jailbroken firmware via Itunes if required.

OK, not on official route, but it works.

As an aside what is the preferred network that Au iPhones run on as I'm thinking of bringing a jailbroken UK phone over!

Last edited by lolcat; Jul 18th 2009 at 3:11 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:09 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Says in the fine print on the apple website :

"iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G and connect to iTunes 8.2 to complete activation."

AU$879 16G, AU$1040 32G, AU$719 16G

So just buy it online and you don't get roped into some soul sucking hopeless contract charging outrageously for the phone as well as your contract for 4,587 years and your first born.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

"iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G and connect to iTunes 8.2 to complete activation."

So just buy it online and you don't get roped into some soul sucking hopeless contract charging outrageously for the phone as well as your contract for 4,587 years and your first born.
I didnt know you could do that! <Potters off to the apple website>
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:33 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by quoll
I didnt know you could do that! <Potters off to the apple website>
I was thinking of doing that too!!

I'm now going to do a wee calculation to work out the benefits!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:27 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Ta. Did search the site but couldn't find anything. So that's seriously cheaper than getting it through Telstra, Optus or Virgin on contract.

Just checked Vodafone and on their basic $59 a month package (which gives you bugger all data allowance) you end up paying $1600 for one. They're also doing it for $929 pre-paid.

On Telstra you're looking at $350 up front (for the basic 16GB 3GS) and then $949 over 24 months on the virtually useless $30 plan.

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I was thinking of doing that too!!

I'm now going to do a wee calculation to work out the benefits!
Indeed. However you paint it, it's cheaper to buy direct from Apple. Only disadvantage is that you have to pay it all up front.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:48 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
Ta. Did search the site but couldn't find anything. So that's seriously cheaper than getting it through Telstra, Optus or Virgin on contract.

Just checked Vodafone and on their basic $59 a month package (which gives you bugger all data allowance) you end up paying $1600 for one. They're also doing it for $929 pre-paid.

On Telstra you're looking at $350 up front (for the basic 16GB 3GS) and then $949 over 24 months on the virtually useless $30 plan.

Indeed. However you paint it, it's cheaper to buy direct from Apple. Only disadvantage is that you have to pay it all up front.
Layby?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:06 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the apple store http://store.apple.com/au/

Click on buy now and then scroll down the bottom. In grey and small writing it says :

1) 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less. (2) iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G and connect to iTunes 8.2 to complete activation. (3) Compass reliability may be affected by usage conditions such as nearby magnetic fields. (4) Sending video via MMS is not supported on iPhone 3G. (5) All battery claims depend on network configuration and many other factors; actual results will vary. Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider. Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/au/batteries and www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html. (6) Some features require the iPhone 3.0 Software Update, which will be available for free download on June 17.

To be honest I didn't know about it either until I looked. I notice that the telco's stay very quiet about it and apple do to. But then its in the telco's interests not to say anything and Apple get a profit sharing arrangement with them. Either way, if you have the cash and want one, its a lot cheaper than selling your soul to the telstra...er...devil.

Last edited by Centurion; Jul 19th 2009 at 5:09 am.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:46 am
Living the dream!

Had a quick look at virgin. They are doing a special on the iphone 3g (not the S) - $49 a month for 24 months - $150 value & 300MB data!
My hubby has an iphone contract with them - he is $74 a month - $520 & 1GB - he is yet to use more than 7% of his data allowance, and he is never off the damn thing!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:56 pm
Australia's Doorman

To be honest I didn't know about it either until I looked. I notice that the telco's stay very quiet about it and apple do to. But then its in the telco's interests not to say anything and Apple get a profit sharing arrangement with them. Either way, if you have the cash and want one, its a lot cheaper than selling your soul to the telstra...er...devil.
Yea I knew they sold 'em - just couldn't find a price on their stupid store site. Definitely tempted I have to say.

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Had a quick look at virgin. They are doing a special on the iphone 3g (not the S) - $49 a month for 24 months - $150 value & 300MB data!
My hubby has an iphone contract with them - he is $74 a month - $520 & 1GB - he is yet to use more than 7% of his data allowance, and he is never off the damn thing!
I can guarantee I'd chew through that much bandwidth in next to no time.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 6:17 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the best plan out there if you already have an iphone?

Jon
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

My advice is don't get one, mine lasted 7 weeks and then konked out due to water damage.... well it did rain.. Now stuck with 24 months contract and no phone....
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

i've just ordered one though virgin and i have gone for the insurance as i know i'll be stuffed if i lose it, which could well happen
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:26 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Although the Vodafone network is not the best, not point having a nice Iphone if you can't use it

Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolcat
Why not jailbreak it for free? Jailbreak, then get the SIMunlock app.
Job done and I believe you can restore back to non jailbroken firmware via Itunes if required.

OK, not on official route, but it works.

As an aside what is the preferred network that Au iPhones run on as I'm thinking of bringing a jailbroken UK phone over!
When an iphone is jailbroken, can you tell!? I have had my iphone since my birthday in March and the OH bought it as a PAYG (£350) which I put my paymonthly sim into....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.