Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Iphone in Australia?

Iphone in Australia?

Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:04 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Iphone in Australia?

We are arriving in Adelaide next October and am trying to decide if its better to buy an Iphone in Hong Kong and use it on a prepaid card or go for a contract Iphone once we arrive. Any advice?
Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 7:13 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iphone in Australia?

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
We are arriving in Adelaide next October and am trying to decide if its better to buy an Iphone in Hong Kong and use it on a prepaid card or go for a contract Iphone once we arrive. Any advice?
Many thanks in advance.
an unlocked iPhone will set you back around 800 AUD depending on a model - not sure if there is an Apple store in Adelaide, I have seen these in Sydney couple of weeks ago - said to be working with all operators' sim cards. I'd check Hong Kong prices and also check to make sure you get an unlocked phone. Although lots of things are sure to change in the next 11 months.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

You can unlock the phone with a apps!!!!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:50 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Yup. Or save yourself a lot of time and hassle and simply buy one unlocked and fully supported from an apple store (www.apple.com.au). That way when Apple release an upgrade your not having to frig about waiting for a team of hackers to come up with the latest hack so you can upgrade your phone.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:53 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Ur iphone working ok in Oz then? Which app did you unlock it with? Which network did you go with now ur in oz, or are u just PAYG for the moment?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Turtles is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to hack my old iPhone, but in the end I sold it in the UK and bought an unlocked one here. No credit rating to get a contract yet so got an Optus Turbo cap and that does everything I need and has a decent data allowance.

I think its worked pretty well we use the GPS everywhere as we usually have no idea where we are going!

Its been mentioned but it really is a LOT less hassle to get one unlocked and then not have to worry about it.