Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Inviting all forum members.........

Inviting all forum members.........

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:26 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inviting all forum members.........

First job is my current job in music publishing. I applied when I got here, had an interview, was offered the job two days later and started two weeks after that. I was very lucky, this is a small industry and I haven't seen anything advertised since I started that i'd want to apply for.

Husband took much longer (more because he was changing fields than anything else). Took two months to get a job and get started...apparently it was the 'wrong time of year' for accountants!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
First job is my current job in music publishing. I applied when I got here, had an interview, was offered the job two days later and started two weeks after that. I was very lucky, this is a small industry and I haven't seen anything advertised since I started that i'd want to apply for.

Husband took much longer (more because he was changing fields than anything else). Took two months to get a job and get started...apparently it was the 'wrong time of year' for accountants!
Really? I work in music publishing too Who do you work for? PM if you'd rather....
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

was brought here by company sponsoring OH - I was a lawyer and never went back into it but it took me ages to get an part time admin post. OH still with company - Just!!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Went from working in the Square Mile as Shipbroking backup with 7 years experience and a pretty decent wage to Gas Meter Reader. Was embarrassed to tell anyone back home at first.

Then I woke up... Where else could you work from home, as the work was delivered to us on a daily basis, and get paid close to the average full time wage for 3.5 hours work a day.

After 16 years the Gas and Fuel folded and I found myself in a very bad situation. From a Aussie perspective an unemployed blue collar worker aged 41.... Ended up at Aus Post, which is pretty lucky really, Two government jobs in my 32 years here = Good super.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:21 am
uzi
Java Dweeb

uzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud of

I actually manage to get senior level job (Software Dev/IT) before landing. seek.com.au worked out for me
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aali-01
wow, you are one lucky person
First morning, first interview, I walked into the interview and his first words were 'the job's your's if you want it'.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:54 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

After I landed in Adelaide in January 1983 it took me around 3 months to land a 6 week job as a relief teacher standing in for someone on long service leave: when that finished it took another 2 months to land another temporary job again relieving for someone on secondment elsewhere - that was in the Commonwealth Dept of Transport. Then I landed a permanent job in the gas pipeline industry in which I have been fully employed ever since.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 2:21 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Took me a fortnight to get my first job in Brisbane, Purchasing officer and after 5 years I am climbing the corporate ladder well.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst looking for a "proper job" I took a telesales job. Hell on earth. We called people who had filled out competition entries for free fuel at a supermarket and tried to flog them a "wealth assessment" which basically meant a really heavy sales pro would visit their home to get them into investment properties.

The office manager was a complete cow and her brainless shit of a son was the supervisor. Horrid horrid boy - swanned about and spoke to people like they were dirt.

When you "scored" you were expected to walk down the office and ring a bell, then suffer the "whoops" and high fives on your way back to your desk.

MTV was constantly playing techno stuff full belt to "hype us up". I lasted 4 weeks. Told my husband I got the sack but I actually quit.

Out of work about 3 months then took a "proper" sales job which lasted a year. Then got my ideal job working in disability advocacy, did 12 months admin then became manager. Been there just over 2 years now.

I arrived with the mindset that I would do any job but in reality, I just couldn't stick it.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a job before arriving, but then am a nurse so easy for us.

My husband was approx 2-3 months first job he applied for (hes a printer), and started at a whopping 23 bucks an hour and now (same job. 5 years later) hes a whopping 24 bucks per hour,

My daughter earns about the same as him , working casual in retail!

Last edited by Margaret3; Jun 25th 2012 at 10:56 pm.