Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Invalid car insurance - WA driving test

Invalid car insurance - WA driving test

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Invalid car insurance - WA driving test

We have heard different things....... can anyone clarify?
We've got UK and international drivers license and thought we'd put off taking the test until the internationals were nearly expired and we had a bit more spare cash.
Have heard that if you havent taken test after 3 months even on TR visa that your insurance could be invalid?
We drove around last time for 18 months in QLD & WA on international, but then always said we were on holiday if we were stopped..Did our lucky pants really help that much?
Help with this please
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

pamzo is an unknown quantity at this point

We contacted the AA and yes you do have to sit a test within 3 months of arrival. However, its only a multiple choice theory test.

Hope this helps.

Pamzo
Old Apr 24th 2003, 2:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Invalid car insurance - WA driving test

Originally posted by Birdey
We have heard different things....... can anyone clarify?
We've got UK and international drivers license and thought we'd put off taking the test until the internationals were nearly expired and we had a bit more spare cash.
Have heard that if you havent taken test after 3 months even on TR visa that your insurance could be invalid?
We drove around last time for 18 months in QLD & WA on international, but then always said we were on holiday if we were stopped..Did our lucky pants really help that much?
Help with this please
Don't know if this is of any help I'm in QLD, so it may differ in WA
. I'm still on a Brit license (I shouldn't be!) - anyway I was on a Business visa _ temp/4 year one. Myself and hubby went down to QLD transport to see if we could get a QLD license (this was about three, maybe four years ago) - they would not give us one . The girl behind the counter was about to get the forms, we handed over our passports , she looked at them and then said "oh you're not PR you can't have one". So we drove on our Brit license for 4 years on the temp visa, been stopped by police at various times, and even produced our Brit license explaining we are not PR . We have even paid fines (speeding ) using the Brit license number. Now , we've been PR for just a little over two years - we've still yet to get our license, keep meaning to, we've even registered cars etc , stopped by police , nobody's cottoned on yet either (We must have some lucky pants too! ) - I should phone up QLD transport and ask them about this 3 month rule - it says on their site that citizens and PR holders you need a licence within three months of settling in QLD being PR - I think tourists are allowed to drive up to a year on a Brit license. What we also did was we got an over 18 card for identification (made life easier when buying things in auctions etc) because we could not get a driving license (you can have one of these, an 18 card, even if your a temp resident)

Anyway when I was a temp holder - the girl in QLD transport would not give me a QLD license, just told me to drive on the Brit one. Don't know if this has all changed now, but they wouldn't give me one because I was not PR - just phone up your local transport office and ask them your questions, get it from the horses mouth so to speak - good luck, it's like talking to a wall sometimes to these transport people - it depends who you talk to in the transport offices, to get the right answers.
I may get round to getting mine one day - I really should do - oh well

cheers
Old Apr 25th 2003, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invalid car insurance - WA driving test

Originally posted by Ceri
Don't know if this is of any help I'm in QLD, so it may differ in WA
. I'm still on a Brit license (I shouldn't be!) - anyway I was on a Business visa _ temp/4 year one. Myself and hubby went down to QLD transport to see if we could get a QLD license (this was about three, maybe four years ago) - they would not give us one . The girl behind the counter was about to get the forms, we handed over our passports , she looked at them and then said "oh you're not PR you can't have one". So we drove on our Brit license for 4 years on the temp visa, been stopped by police at various times, and even produced our Brit license explaining we are not PR . We have even paid fines (speeding ) using the Brit license number. Now , we've been PR for just a little over two years - we've still yet to get our license, keep meaning to, we've even registered cars etc , stopped by police , nobody's cottoned on yet either (We must have some lucky pants too! ) - I should phone up QLD transport and ask them about this 3 month rule - it says on their site that citizens and PR holders you need a licence within three months of settling in QLD being PR - I think tourists are allowed to drive up to a year on a Brit license. What we also did was we got an over 18 card for identification (made life easier when buying things in auctions etc) because we could not get a driving license (you can have one of these, an 18 card, even if your a temp resident)

Anyway when I was a temp holder - the girl in QLD transport would not give me a QLD license, just told me to drive on the Brit one. Don't know if this has all changed now, but they wouldn't give me one because I was not PR - just phone up your local transport office and ask them your questions, get it from the horses mouth so to speak - good luck, it's like talking to a wall sometimes to these transport people - it depends who you talk to in the transport offices, to get the right answers.
I may get round to getting mine one day - I really should do - oh well

cheers
Cheers Ceri, Im tempted to wing it at least until I get PR (flying home in September to change visas!) Thanks for the info, Im going to keep polishing my lucky pants until then.