Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interviews for UK Passports

Wikiposts

Interviews for UK Passports

Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interviews for UK Passports

Originally Posted by bondipom
Is the interview for ID verification?
Yes.

In Australia it's normally done by designated Australia Post managers and one presumes something similar will be put in place in the UK.

Overseas it may mean that British citizens will need to travel in person to a consulate.

Jeremy
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:42 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes.

In Australia it's normally done by designated Australia Post managers and one presumes something similar will be put in place in the UK.

Overseas it may mean that British citizens will need to travel in person to a consulate.

Jeremy
While not objecting in principle to the idea of people being interviewed for their first passport, I'd have to say that the interview that I had on applying for my first Australian passport didn't really prove much at all. I was asked a few desultory questions by a polite but bored postmaster (such as, 'Why do you want a passport?'); he then glanced very briefly at my form and other documentation, scribbled something, and off we went. It certainly wouldn't (on the face of it) have been a real stumbling block to people who wanted to beat the system in any organised way.

As with all these sorts of measures, I guess it's important to weigh the benefits against the inconvenience: it's easy to set in place procedures that inconvenience ordinary, law-abiding people but do little to foil the plans of the real targets. Such procedures are not beneficial, and it's a matter of getting the balance right - not always an easy task.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:12 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CPW
While not objecting in principle to the idea of people being interviewed for their first passport, I'd have to say that the interview that I had on applying for my first Australian passport didn't really prove much at all. I was asked a few desultory questions by a polite but bored postmaster (such as, 'Why do you want a passport?'); he then glanced very briefly at my form and other documentation, scribbled something, and off we went.
I didn't even realise it was supposed to be a "proper interview". So much for the interview thing.You're lucky you had some questions , I didn't get any.

I can not remember being asked questions like "why do you want a passport" etc. Mind you it was obvious in our case, I think we mentioned to the guy about flying out in a couple of days and we need the Priority service.. I applied for my first passport just a few months ago ( just before Christmas).

I just picked up a first time passport application form, which are in most PO's. filled it in - got some photographs ( taken by ourselves from a digital camera and printed out on the computer). Then had the photographs signed by a friend (photographs must be signed by an Australian citizen , and someone who has known you for a year, or it may be two years - can't remember).

Went back to PO with form, where I had to show ID - driving licence, and my citizenship certificate, I can't remember if I showed a utility bill as well. The guy in the PO ( not sure if he was a manager, he was just the person who was serving in the particular queue we chose - if he was, it was just by sheer luck we picked the right queue) . He went through the form with us, and that was it. Paid for priority service - picked passports up from Brisbane Passport office a few days later.

Picking passports up -I phoned up the passport office, and asked did I have to pick them up in person, or could "hubby" pick them both up. I was told he could pick up mine no prob.

There are too many loop holes - photos for instance which were taken and printed by ourselves ( also enhanced on the computer - lightened them up), signed by any Tom Dick and Harry ( and not a JP etc). My ID for my passport ( driving licence etc) could have been stolen, or fake ( you can buy driving licenses on the black market)

Bloke in PO was very flustered, and rushed through our passport form ( the PO was very busy with the Christmas rush - staff were rushed off their feet)

Picking passports up was less secure, we both went to get them, but didn't have to as I have previously mentioned - we showed no ID at all to the woman behind the counter at the passport office, just our little sticker with a number on it , our ref number given to us at the PO. I could have been anyone picking up the passports. Someone who just found or stole the ref sticker.

Anyway, I did not even know it was supposed to be an interview as such, just that you need to apply in person at the PO.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 28th 2005 at 12:20 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:41 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes.

Jeremy
So Jeremy, my kids will have to fly from Perth to Canberra to get their British passports renewed once they expire (they'll be adults when they are due for renewal)?

Is there a consulate anywhere nearer?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:52 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by walla1
So Jeremy, my kids will have to fly from Perth to Canberra to get their British passports renewed once they expire (they'll be adults when they are due for renewal)?

Is there a consulate anywhere nearer?
In addition to the British High Commission in Canberra, there are also British Consulates-General in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney, where the senior officer in charge has the title of "British Consul-General" and is responsible to the High Commissioner. A Consular office was established in Adelaide in 1995. In Tasmania the British Government is represented by an Honorary Consul.