Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interview via Video Link

Interview via Video Link

Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:09 pm
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Comer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant future
Default Interview via Video Link

I've got an interview for an IT job with a bank in Sydney tomorrow at 8am UK time. But it's via a video link from their London office! Has anyone been interviewed in this way before??

I haven't exchanged on my house or booked the flights yet :scared:
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview via Video Link

Originally Posted by Comer
I've got an interview for an IT job with a bank in Sydney tomorrow at 8am UK time. But it's via a video link from their London office! Has anyone been interviewed in this way before??

Hello Comer, I manage Video Conferencing for an insurance company here in London and can give you some tips on Video Conferencing.

1. Always let them call you. That way if there's problems setting up the call it's not your fault.
2. Don't move around very much during the call. You don't have to sit like a statue but wild gesticulations and standing up and walking around do not help the quality of the call.
3. Treat the other people as if they are in the room with you. Look them in the eye, talk to them as if they were in front of you.
4. Top tip - write down the names of the other participants around a wee drawing of the table in the room at the other end. Then you can address them by name in confidence.
5. Ask them if they need a network manager. Then get them to offer me the job. I already have a visa for Oz!

Best of luck!!!

Buzzy
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:34 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I used video link every day in my old job.

Where are you having the video link? Might be late notice for you to read this message, but a couple of tips for you...

Give the system a couple of minutes to settle down, there maybe static to begin with, if it doesn't settle, disconnect and try again.
It will feel strange to begin with, but you will get used to it...I used to think that the people being interviewed looked like startled rabits!

Good Luck, let us know how you get on.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:35 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

My dh was - done by video conferencing with Sydney. Not sure if this counts as his was officially a transfer, but even so, he didn't know the people interviewing him.

Very good luck to you.

Sue
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:59 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

try to pm dicko he's done it a couple of times check out hid post
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=DICKO
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?userid=14872

jan xx
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:47 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Comer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant futureComer has a brilliant future

Many thanks everyone. Whilst on the train this morning I got a call from Sydney to say that the video link was down and Macquarie have now rescheduled for next Wed. But many thanks for the info, I will be better prepared now.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Don't wear any trousers
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:55 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Just don't wear any clothes at all.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:02 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

I'd consider it if I had a chance of getting the job and the air conditioning isn't too cold
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:18 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Also - half way through the interview - push your index finger into your ear, pause, tilt your head slightly to one side and say "I'm sorry to interupt this interview, but we have some late breaking news and we're going over to Jessica Tate outside Buckingham Palace" then shuffle some papers, have a sip of water and wait ...

Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:20 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Many thanks everyone. Whilst on the train this morning I got a call from Sydney to say that the video link was down and Macquarie have now rescheduled for next Wed. But many thanks for the info, I will be better prepared now.
Good luck for next Wednesday mate, if you're on song like the Hammers you'll walk it.

"Pretty bubbles everywhere!"
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:33 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Originally Posted by Hutch
Also - half way through the interview - push your index finger into your ear, pause, tilt your head slightly to one side and say "I'm sorry to interupt this interview, but we have some late breaking news and we're going over to Jessica Tate outside Buckingham Palace" then shuffle some papers, have a sip of water and wait ...

Don't tempt me. If I'm having a 'mare of an interview then it may well happen
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:35 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Good luck for next Wednesday mate, if you're on song like the Hammers you'll walk it.

"Pretty bubbles everywhere!"
Cheers lets hope so. I wouldn't mind but the season the Hammers return to the top flight I give up my season ticket in preparation for living in Oz.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:37 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Cheers lets hope so. I wouldn't mind but the season the Hammers return to the top flight I give up my season ticket in preparation for living in Oz.
Are you fully visa'd up then, ready to go November still?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:45 am
In The Sunshiiiiinnnnnne

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Are you fully visa'd up then, ready to go November still?
I'm raring to go but just waiting on my house sale. I should be exchanging contract in the next 10 days. But I won't book my flight or the shippers until that happens. I'm just staring at my phone hoping that the Agent or Solicitor will call.......