Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interview advice please.........

Wikiposts

Interview advice please.........

Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interview advice please.........

I don't want to count my chickens but I'm hopeful of getting an interview next week........going to be over the phone.

The job is in finance............so, apart from demonstrating I can add up and know a thing or to about numbers, accounts, etc etc......what is an Australian employer going to be most keen to hear about from a pommie accountant ?............(I can see the jokes coming now........)

As I got this far, I presume there is no hint of siding with only wanting to recuit an Australian national but will recruit the best person for the job no matter their age/size/sex/nationality is as long as they are eligible to work in Aus..........which I am seeing as I have my 136 visa!

I am really asking what non-finance things they like to hear about or is there anything you would never say or mention in an interview ?. (like the words jonny wilkinson ?)

cheers
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview advice please.........

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
I don't want to count my chickens but I'm hopeful of getting an interview next week........going to be over the phone.

The job is in finance............so, apart from demonstrating I can add up and know a thing or to about numbers, accounts, etc etc......what is an Australian employer going to be most keen to hear about from a pommie accountant ?............(I can see the jokes coming now........)

As I got this far, I presume there is no hint of siding with only wanting to recuit an Australian national but will recruit the best person for the job no matter their age/size/sex/nationality is as long as they are eligible to work in Aus..........which I am seeing as I have my 136 visa!

I am really asking what non-finance things they like to hear about or is there anything you would never say or mention in an interview ?. (like the words jonny wilkinson ?)

cheers
Now Mr Olibeneli:

Tell us something about yourself;
Why did you apply for the job;
Why should we give the job to you;
Are you now sad that England won the last Ashes contest and RWC?

Answer no to the 4th question and you've got no chance.

Now, on a serious note if I was interviewing I might ask some curly questions to see if you are going to be about for a while or to see how happy you are in your new abode. eg

How long do you intend settling in Oz?
Are you settled/do you get homesick?
What do you think of Australia/Australians/Australian life?
etc

As the interview is over the phone it won't matter if you are dressed like John Bull (or the BNF who Gordon Brown says have hijacked what he called Britishness) but I wouldn't recommend that for a face to face interview.

Good luck!

OzTennis
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and you could probably expect the standard non-job specific questions you can get anywhere like what are your main hobbies, interests etc. I might throw one in like it is Australia Day on January 26th. What does that mean to you?

OzTennis
Old Jan 24th 2006, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Now Mr Olibeneli:

Tell us something about yourself;
Why did you apply for the job;
Why should we give the job to you;
Are you now sad that England won the last Ashes contest and RWC?

Answer no to the 4th question and you've got no chance.

Now, on a serious note if I was interviewing I might ask some curly questions to see if you are going to be about for a while or to see how happy you are in your new abode. eg

How long do you intend settling in Oz?
Are you settled/do you get homesick?
What do you think of Australia/Australians/Australian life?
etc

As the interview is over the phone it won't matter if you are dressed like John Bull (or the BNF who Gordon Brown says have hijacked what he called Britishness) but I wouldn't recommend that for a face to face interview.

Good luck!

OzTennis
Thanks Mr Oztennis........I like your sense of humour!.

I am ready for those difficult question any immigrant will have to face.
SO....

Mr Interviewer: This isn't a move down under for a laugh or a few years or for fun. I have been to oz a few time before, we came as recently as last year to search where we will stay, I have family in the area who have lived there since the £10 pom days, my kids are enrolled in school and are loving it, we have no strong ties to the UK, all our UK based family say "good on yer mate" and such like.

I don't get homesick.......both myself and my wife have worked away from family for years........me around the world and my wife in Belgium and Turkey, bt we found a spot on the planet we want to retire in when we get to 65 and its called Australia.

I love Australians.........some of my cousins are Australian. I like their sense of humour and as long as they don't mind me dishing Ozzie jokes out I don't mind receiving pommie bastard abuse back.

PS........I would slightly alter how I present these coments to be more suitable to an interview environment!

cheers
Old Jan 24th 2006, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Oh, and you could probably expect the standard non-job specific questions you can get anywhere like what are your main hobbies, interests etc. I might throw one in like it is Australia Day on January 26th. What does that mean to you?

OzTennis
How can I forget Australia Day..........same day as my dads birthday and I get to wear my Advance Australia tie I bought when I lived there aged 16......

(even if it is polyester )
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You've got the job, your answers were just what we were looking for!

I'm in a similar field to you except I teach it after having done it - Accounting and Finance, I.T., Economics and Business Management are what I teach and I do tennis coaching part-time. I'm lucky in that there are many things I can turn my hand (and mind!) to, either in the UK or Oz when we eventually move back.

Once again, good luck with everything!

OzTennis
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell them you're Black and Queer ...

It's the new Brown.

You'll be hired like a shot