Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interstate Removals Quote - Canberra to Sydney - Yikes!

Interstate Removals Quote - Canberra to Sydney - Yikes!

Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:48 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interstate Removals Quote - Canberra to Sydney - Yikes!

Just got quote from Kent for $3,400!!! This is without insurance. $2,700 to move and $700 for packing. The distance is about 175 miles.

Getting another company's quote tomorrow but not expecting miracles. I'd heard moving in this country was expensive, but when you consider moving London to Canberra 6 months ago (abt 400 cubic feet of container) cost us around $5,500 it just seems a bit excessive for the distance involved, even if it is 'interstate'.

Is this cost typical? I fear it is.

Cheers,

Big.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:52 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interstate Removals Quote - Canberra to Sydney - Yikes!

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Just got quote from Kent for $3,400!!! This is without insurance. $2,700 to move and $700 for packing. The distance is about 175 miles.

Getting another company's quote tomorrow but not expecting miracles. I'd heard moving in this country was expensive, but when you consider moving London to Canberra 6 months ago (abt 400 cubic feet of container) cost us around $5,500 it just seems a bit excessive for the distance involved, even if it is 'interstate'.

Cheers,

Big.
can u not just hire a truck(one way) and take it urself
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,

Big.

One option for moving within Australia is "backloads". Example; Alot of Sydney companies will be doing removals from Sydney to Canberra then go back empty. To make a little more money, they will try to get a load to pay for the return trip but usually charge a lot less.

You will find some companies advertise backloads or you can just ask for a backload rate. These are generally loads less!! I once moved from Brisbane to Sale, Vic and it only cost me $500.

Worth a shot!!

Hels
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:05 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

$700 for packing.

Cheers,

Big.
u mean they are doing the packing?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:23 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
u mean they are doing the packing?
Yep, that's the idea. When we used PSS when moving from the UK they did all the packing because of insurance. It saved so much hassle I decided if we moved again we'd get someone to do it. I've arranged the hiring van/pack and move youself thing before (for less stuff) and it's a real pain, plus you're dependent on mates to help you out.

Also, I'm working in Sydney and am only in Canberra at weekends. I'd have to add loss of income to the cost of moving if I had to take time off work. I need to get it sorted out as quickly as possible with the minimum hassle.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:27 pm

Yep, that's the idea. When we used PSS when moving from the UK they did all the packing because of insurance. It saved so much hassle I decided if we moved again we'd get someone to do it. I've arranged the hiring van/pack and move youself thing before (for less stuff) and it's a real pain, plus you're dependent on mates to help you out.

Also, I'm working in Sydney and am only in Canberra at weekends. I'd have to add loss of income to the cost of moving if I had to take time off work. I need to get it sorted out as quickly as possible with the minimum hassle.
Oh well u r just as well paying the fee and getting it over and done as painless as poss...will keep an eye out for ya for prices....when do u need to move?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:36 pm
Extended Member

Originally Posted by biggy
Oh well u r just as well paying the fee and getting it over and done as painless as poss...will keep an eye out for ya for prices....when do u need to move?
2 weeks!!!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:53 pm

2 weeks!!!
EEEeeeekkkk :scared:

Have u tried
http://www.dawsonmoving.com.au/

I think this may be the site mentioned in previous post
http://www.backloadingremovals.com/B...ginventory.htm
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:48 am
Extended Member

Chess quoted just under $2,500 for same deal - thats $900 cheaper, insurance seems reasonable too - $11 per $1000 value of goods full cover.

Thanks for the Dawsons link - they're coming on Monday...

Big.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:50 am

Thumbs up Re: Interstate Removals Quote - Canberra to Sydney - Yikes!

Chess quoted just under $2,500 for same deal - thats $900 cheaper, insurance seems reasonable too - $11 per $1000 value of goods full cover.

Thanks for the Dawsons link - they're coming on Monday...

Big.

Oh well they are gettin cheaper.....Good Luck and let us know how Dawsons shape up
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:36 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Big.
Just remember this is the busiest time to move in aust, we have all our gov&military moves coming in at the moment, if you got the same quote in july it would be half that................... MM
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely try backloading. Friends of ours came from Sydney to Perth and it cost less than half than it would have had they come with the big removal companies. We are moving from Perth to the Sunshine Coast and are about to find out more about it.