Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Service Provider (QLD)

Internet Service Provider (QLD)

Old Sep 10th 2004, 10:40 am
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Service Provider (QLD)

I'm currently hooked up to BigPond dial-up (60 hours / $60 pre-paid) anyone know any other cheap ISP ?

Hopefully I'll get Broadband shortly so any advice on dial-up or broadband providers would be appreciated. As I'll be using the internet regulary it is important to find someone who is priced cheaply with unlimited download etc etc.

Thanks,

Mr. irishmolly
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Service Provider (QLD)

Originally Posted by irishmolly
I'm currently hooked up to BigPond dial-up (60 hours / $60 pre-paid) anyone know any other cheap ISP ?

Hopefully I'll get Broadband shortly so any advice on dial-up or broadband providers would be appreciated. As I'll be using the internet regulary it is important to find someone who is priced cheaply with unlimited download etc etc.

Thanks,

Mr. irishmolly
just the usual culprits I'm afraid. If you are in an optus cabled region, then the optus cable broadband unlimited is a good deal. Especially if you tie it in with your TV ( they supply a subset of foxtels channels via cable), and your home phone line, they offer a ton of free local phone calls per month. They also have an offer on until 5th Oct for free broadband setup, including a free modem i think.

All of them, (telstra, Primus, Optus) give you a better package if you tie your home phone, and broadband together in one package. But as for prices sheesh , the permutations of line rentals, setup costs, broadband speeds, broadband limits, discounts, free phone calls etc really did my head in. I think they are all much of a muchness, a 512Kb broadband connection with a 1 or 2 Gb limit per month is about $49.95 per month. With a unlimited download limit (or 12Gb) its $69.95 per month. After that you just need to factor in setup costs, and what they'll charge you for local phone calls etc, what free local calls they'll chuck in, all that.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

and make sure you know exactly what you have been offered and get them to send a qoute. they have so many offers even they dont know what there are doing and half the time the offer you get verbally is incorrect. ie, get all three and we will give you x off your install, give you y amounts of free calls and if you use DD we will give you z rebate after ABC weeks. I am sure I have been screwed, the rebates never came and when i called they told me I must be mistaken.

I have something like $45 for cable TV basic package with sports. $65 for 12Gb Broadband and I think $22 for the phone. installs were not free when i got it but got a half price install with the all in 3 package. I didnt go with Telstra over optus mainly due to there were penalties for disconnecting for 24 months, and optus were 12. At the time of lots going in, i didnt care to much for costs, as things are relatively the same, but wanted the option of 'doing it properly' when things settle in 12 months (and also I had a 12 month sabbatical from my UK job). 24 months was a big tie in for me at the time.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:54 am
ABCDiamond

Have a look at Whirlpool Broadband Choice to get an idea of what's available in Broadband.

I like the look of "aanet" 512k/128k for $35 per month with 1Gb limit, but excess Gb's at only $3.
Or $45 with an 8Gb limit, then $3 per Gb

Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at dodo.com.au ; we use them for dial-up, $70 for three months, unlimited access, unlimited downloads
Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a look at dodo.com.au ; we use them for dial-up, $70 for three months, unlimited access, unlimited downloads
I refuse to look at Dodo until they stop running those really annoying adverts!!!

JTL
Old Sep 10th 2004, 1:37 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have a look at Whirlpool Broadband Choice to get an idea of what's available in Broadband.

I like the look of "aanet" 512k/128k for $35 per month with 1Gb limit, but excess Gb's at only $3.
Or $45 with an 8Gb limit, then $3 per Gb
What sort of broadband download limit would be recommended for a regular internet/email user ?

At present I use the internet/email about 3 or 4 hours a day, mainly checking websites (no music or large downloads) and webcam, can someone give me an idea of the size of 'download capacity' I require.

Cheers!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 2:35 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Thanks,

Mr. irishmolly

Also on the subject of broadband,
In rented accomadation can you have broadband???
Or sattelite??
Daz
Old Sep 11th 2004, 12:18 am
ABCDiamond

What sort of broadband download limit would be recommended for a regular internet/email user ?

At present I use the internet/email about 3 or 4 hours a day, mainly checking websites (no music or large downloads) and webcam, can someone give me an idea of the size of 'download capacity' I require.

Cheers!
My own average usage is currently about 700mb per month, but sometimes gets to around 1Gb, but only when I download the odd big programs.

I am on the net up to 8 hours a day, and do no music downloads, BUT, I don't use a webcam. I am not certain how much download capacity that uses, but it could be quite high.
Can anyone give an idea of the approx usage for say 1 hour of webcam use ?

Daz
You can normally have ADSL Broadband in a rented house, as it uses the standard telephone line. However, make sure your broadband contract is not a longer duration than the house rental contract period.

Old Sep 11th 2004, 12:33 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

My own average usage is currently about 700mb per month, but sometimes gets to around 1Gb, but only when I download the odd big programs.
I'm a heavy user (streaming vids and music regularly and some big file downloads) and my usage says just under 3Gb over the last 27 days (for 2 'puters).
Old Sep 11th 2004, 12:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wmoore
I'm a heavy user (streaming vids and music regularly and some big file downloads) and my usage says just under 3Gb over the last 27 days (for 2 'puters).
An example plan for someone like you, here in QLD or in VIC, would be the aanet plan 512/Aa.
512 kbps Down/128 kbps Up, with 8Gb limit for $45pm, and excess Gb's at $3 per Gb.

They also do a 256 kbps Down/64 kbps Up plan for $45 pm with unlimited downloads.

Old Sep 11th 2004, 12:48 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

An example plan for someone like you, here in QLD or in VIC, would be the aanet plan 512/Aa.
512 kbps Down/128 kbps Up, with 8Gb limit for $45pm, and excess Gb's at $3 per Gb.
That seems reasonable to me. I'm paying £22 / month now for unlimited.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 11:32 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just signed up with dataco.com.au for broadband.......will let you know how i get on with it
Old Sep 11th 2004, 9:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers!
I doubt you would use much more than a 1GB a month.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 9:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leannefr
Also on the subject of broadband,
In rented accomadation can you have broadband???
Or sattelite??
Daz
You can certainly have cable/ADSL broadband in rented accomodation. I use www.swiftdsl.com.au in a rented unit. Swiftdsl offer telephone/broadband bundles and offer VOIP.

IMO Telstra are awful and should be avoided.

I cannot stand the DODO ads and would you want DODO in your e-mail address?