Internet NZ

Old Dec 30th 2002, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet NZ

Hi, does New Zealand have broadband and if so how much does it cost. Also are New Zealand light bulb fittings the same as the UK.If not we are going to be leaving a lot of lamps for the relatives.
Old Dec 30th 2002, 8:45 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
Iv'e just had a reply from ex-kiwi
Internet is $14.95 unlimited but i dont know if that is broadband.
Anyway you dont really want broadband,it will give you all the more reason to sit in front of the pc to justify all that money you will be shedding out
Gavin
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Cheers,

Does anyone know about the light bulbs. It seems a bit trivial but we have a lot of lamps so if the NZ bulbs don't fit.......
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, you can get both bayonet & screw type bulbs in NZ - we're not That backward, you know!!
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgot to add about Broadband - yes Telecom NZ can provide ADSL - the product they sell is known as JetStream. If you live in/near a city/town you'll be fine, but if you're out in the wop wops (ie miles from anywhere!!) you wont be able to get it as the distance from you to the exchange will be too great.

To give you an idea, they have several offerings depending on how much you're likely to download:

JetStream Home 500:
500MB usage limit per month before excess charging, $99 installation cost for self install (ie you need to buy a DSL filter which goes between the wall socket & your ADSL modem/router) or $248 if you want a Telecom engineer to come out & replace the existing socket on the wall with a new one negating the need for filters. Monthly charges are $49.00 (including GST) and $0.20c per MB once you exceed 500MB

JetStream Home 1000
1000MB usage limit per month, same installation charges & same excess charge ($0.20c) as above.

they also have a product called jetstream starter, but i've heard this is not worth bothering with (info about it is on the link below though)

You also have to pay the standard telecom monthly line rental, call charges, ISP monthly charge and buy a ADSL modem/router on top of this.

I'm going to order jetstream when I get back to NZ in Jan, will let you know how I get on.

Russ

www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,200345-201304,00.html
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Cheers for the info.