Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet on the move

Internet on the move

Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice
Default Internet on the move

Can anybody help?

I want to know how to get on the internet with my laptop while on the move, lets say in a hotel with a phone line can I plug in my laptop and connect.

How do hotspots work? do I need to set up a network with every place I use, like airports and the like.

Any help would be very welcome indeed.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Internet on the move

Be interested to know this too as i have a laptop and have just set up a hotmail account so i can get my emails on the move, but not sure how i would access it!
Bump to the top for you
Rach x
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:44 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Laptops usually come with a connection lead to plug them into a telephone line. Just plug into a telephone jack point.

You will need to check the dial-up number to the server & make sure the international dial up code is ok.

The hotspot thing is wireless I think - someone else will help with this
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of hotels (at least those that cater for business types) will have dial up access through the phones. My last couple of trips to the US you have been able to get broadband (of a sort) for about $10 for your whole stay in the hotel. They usually supply the leads as well. Most of the phones also have jack points to connect to your modem ,but then you will need a cable and you ISP connection details. If you dial international from virtually any hotel it will cost an arm and a leg. In the Us recently I was paying $20+ for a few mins back to the UK, whereas if I could find a payphone that worked it was $1 for 10 mins. So if the hotel has a local ISP use that...
Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Thank you Al H and my fairy godfather! think i understand what you both mean!
rach x
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by arnie2oz

The hotspot thing is wireless I think - someone else will help with this
Yeah wi-fi, alot of hotels, coffee shops, and even McD's in US are installing hotspots so you can wander in there with your laptop and surf, while you eat a burger and drip grease on your keyboard.

Don't think its caught on too much in UK, though I've seen a few bods in Starbucks once surfing so, it is starting to happen. I really don't know about Oz.

Anyway, you need a laptop equiped with the wireless chipset (centrino if its an intel laptop). You'll know if you've got it, it has alot of funky software telling you it can do wireless. If your laptop is not top spec or over 1 year old then you probably don't have it.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prepaid Internet dialup in Oz

Originally posted by Whingin Pom
Can anybody help?

I want to know how to get on the internet with my laptop while on the move, lets say in a hotel with a phone line can I plug in my laptop and connect.

How do hotspots work? do I need to set up a network with every place I use, like airports and the like.

If you want to use a phone line to connect to the internet in a hotel in Oz, you can get a BigPond dialup starter pack from one of the Telstra shops (or other phone shops which have the starter pack) on the street. You'll be using a dialup number which is local/free call and will be charged by the hotel for just a fixed price local call. You can continue to use the same BigPond account as you travel around in Oz.

Teltra BigPond's got an offer (double your dialup hours) now till July 31st. You must register, i.e. make your initial dialup, on or before July 31st to claim the double hours. Information below:

http://www.bigpond.com/internet-plan...id/default.asp

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:02 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Prepaid Internet dialup in Oz

Originally posted by JackTheLad
You'll be using a dialup number which is local/free call and will be charged by the hotel for just a fixed price local call.
I think that Hotels tend to charge a bit more than the Telstra standard rate even for local calls.

Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:21 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Can anybody help?

Well, if you are dialing up, you'll need the local phone number of an ISP and an account. Set it up in the UK with an OZ ISP before you go.

Wireless is quite expensive in the UK - I think BT are asking for 6 quid and hour, which, IMHO, is taking the p**s. You may be lucky and stumble upon a 'free' hotspot though - which is always nice
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:23 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Can anybody help?

Well, if you are dialing up, you'll need the local phone number of an ISP and an account. Set it up in the UK with an OZ ISP before you go.

Wireless is quite expensive in the UK - I think BT are asking for 6 quid and hour, which, IMHO, is taking the p**s. You may be lucky and stumble upon a 'free' hotspot though - which is always nice
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:24 am
Now 15% less offensive

Can anybody help?

Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:25 am
Now 15% less offensive

Can anybody help?

For dialup - have a look at

http://www.pacific.net.au/about_pi/o...ialup_numbers/

or

http://www.ar.com.au/dialup.php

I cant recommend any of these though - never used them. Search in Google for Sydney Internet Dial up or something along those lines
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:44 am
Now 15% less offensive

Can anybody help?

You may not even need an account. Heres a UK ISP that allows you to connect whenever - no account required!

http://www.fasthosts.com/Dial/

There must be something in OZ thats similar
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I think that Hotels tend to charge a bit more than the Telstra standard rate even for local calls.
Yes, they do charge a bit more, but not bad if you were travelling. I still have receipts from a very nice service apartment in Melbourne from last year, the local calls/internet dialups were $0.80 each, some calls were 1 minute, some over 2 hours, still the same one-off charge per call. Another hotel in Sydney and a resort where we stayed for our wedding in Palm Cove, Cairns, were also charging something similar.

If only the American hotels were that way... My very short local calls at the Sheraton in NYC a few months ago were all over $3 each, some were ridiculous, so I just bought a prepaid GSM card and used my mobile phone instead... The information card in the room said they charged a 200% or 250% extra on top of the AT&T standard rate! A real rip-off... Well at least they tell you...

I hate hotel surcharges... Oops... did I get off track again?!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:25 am
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Yes, they do charge a bit more, but not bad if you were travelling. I still have receipts from a very nice service apartment in Melbourne from last year, the local calls/internet dialups were $0.80 each, some calls were 1 minute, some over 2 hours, still the same one-off charge per call. Another hotel in Sydney and a resort where we stayed for our wedding in Palm Cove, Cairns, were also charging something similar.

If only the American hotels were that way... My very short local calls at the Sheraton in NYC a few months ago were all over $3 each, some were ridiculous, so I just bought a prepaid GSM card and used my mobile phone instead... The information card in the room said they charged a 200% or 250% extra on top of the AT&T standard rate! A real rip-off... Well at least they tell you...

I hate hotel surcharges... Oops... did I get off track again?!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
yep - I'd go along with the 80 cent quote - I thought that was very reasonable for a hotel (The Grace - Sydney 2000)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.