Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Jobs, Sydney

Internet Jobs, Sydney

Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:40 pm
I need work !

pb8856 is on a distinguished road
Default Internet Jobs, Sydney

I hope someone can help me, I am considering a move to Sydney and would value some advice on finding work in the Internet sector. Is there is a demand for people with web skills in Australia ?, Does anyone know of any recruitment agencies which specialize in IT/internet jobs I could contact before flying out ?

I have 5 years experience with web technologies(HTML, CSS, Linux, PHP and Perl etc) with 2 years project management.

Any advise on moving to Australia and working in IT is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

phil...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice
Default Re: Internet Jobs, Sydney

Originally Posted by pb8856
I hope someone can help me, I am considering a move to Sydney and would value some advice on finding work in the Internet sector. Is there is a demand for people with web skills in Australia ?, Does anyone know of any recruitment agencies which specialize in IT/internet jobs I could contact before flying out ?

I have 5 years experience with web technologies(HTML, CSS, Linux, PHP and Perl etc) with 2 years project management.

Thanks

phil...
Have you tried searching the Oz job websites, they generally allow you to select IT/Web and Sydney and will then show you what jobs are being advertised.

I posted a load of URLs including job websites a few weeks ago, also others have posted job websites URLs. There is also a thread with "USEFUL WEBSITES" as a stick thread by JAJ (look at the top of the list of threads)

hth and good luck!

Alex

Last edited by Alex Hall; Mar 16th 2005 at 7:32 am.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:40 am
Paul Wakeford

In article <[email protected]> ,
member37448@british_expats.com (pb8856) wrote:

> *Subject:* Internet Jobs, Sydney
    > *From:* pb8856 <member37448@british_expats.com>
    > *Date:* Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:40:54 +0000
    >
    >
    > I hope someone can help me, I am considering a move to Sydney and would
    > value some advice on finding work in the Internet sector. Is there is a
    > demand for people with web skills in Australia ?, Does anyone know of
    > any recruitment agencies which specialize in IT/internet jobs I could
    > contact before flying out ?
    >
    > I have 5 years experience with web technologies(HTML, CSS, Linux, PHP
    > and Perl etc) with 2 years project management.
    >
    > Any advise on moving to Australia and working in IT is greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > phil...
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

I wouldn't bother contacting agencies before you arrive, they will all say
'contact us when you get here'.

Try the usual sites to try to gauge demand - http://www.it2.com.au,
http://www.mycareer.com.au, http://www.careerone.com.au.

Cheers,

Paul

Old Mar 16th 2005, 10:38 am
Just Joined

AndyBoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pb8856

Thanks

phil...
Other good sites are www.seek.com.au and www.jobnet.com.au

I'm in IT recruitment myself, and although there is an element of truth in the normal response from agents, it's not always that way. If you are looking for contract work some agents, like my company, can offer you sponsorship, with all the living away from home tax allowances. Typically, given the quick turnaround you would need to be able to start with a week or so. A client is more likely to wait for you if you have a less common skill set. I work exclusively in the Oracle sector, and we are frequently considering oveseas candidates, because there just aren't enough here. Sydney is quite a small place in this respect.

If it's a permanent job you are after you will have to be lucky in finding a company who will offer sponsorship. Again it depends on the demand for your skills. On the plus side though they are used to waiting 4 weeks for you to start, so it could be done over the phone. This is what I did, you can get a job over the phone!

The market is booming at the moment, so you shouldn't have too much diffiulty finding work. Best advice is to keep an eye on the websites, and perhaps even think about approaching a couple of end companies directly. If you do come over here without a role, take what you can initially to get Australian experience, and then pick an choose when you've a few months under your belt.

If you want any further info, just drop me an email, and I'll save veryone else the details. Good luck