Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

internet inet/voip

internet inet/voip

Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of
Default internet inet/voip

Ayone know owt about bob?
Need to get a internet provider and have been told inet are the ones?
I will need a modem/internet phone to ,so maybe this is a good thing?
I aint techy at all really so any help will be cool!!
So i take it once i have the naked inet internet i can make voip calls?

Bejesus,i only know how to plaster
http://www.iinet.net.au/index.html?u...0Search&247SEM
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:31 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: internet inet/voip

Basically yes, they are very good. Enjoy your voip. Its like the normal telephone, only a heck of a lot cheaper.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

just found out "bob" is $370!!!!
Can anyone point me out a wireless modem n a voip phone please?

Oh and i take it phone calls are included withn the adsl naked plan?

Its late i know

cheers jase
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:47 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO

Its late i know

cheers jase
Systems like this (and the BT version in the UK) are designed for knobs, hiding away the complexity so you don't have to deal with it, and getting a nice profit margin at the same time.

You can do it all yourself, but you usually need to put more effort in and either understand more, or have some nice person who will understand it for you.

Do to something like this all you need is a cheap ADSL Modem/Router and something like the Linksys 3102, or cheaper, to give you connection between the network and your (DECT) phones. You can then get your VOIP service where you like (although iiNet will probably change you extra for not lining their pockets).

However its more techie this way, so don't say you weren't warned.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

It's all expensive out here - I have the iinet naked dsl and bought my own phone - a gigaset - got to say it was a ball ache to set up but works well once it is set up. I don't have a router with a specific voip port otherwise i could have just bought a standard digital phone. It is cheaper i think but then i don't use it a lot - i generally just use mobile or Skype fo rfriends and family in England.

Don't get Skype and VOIP confused either - they aren't the same thing and don't work together.

If you don't already have a wireless modem and a voip phone then BOB isn't that bad, yes it's still expensive but for the hassle of setting up another voip phone and router etc - especially if you're not IT savvy, is outweighed i think.

if you are really interested then i'm running off a Belkin N1+ router with a gigaset VOIP handset.

But my router was over $200 and the handset was $150 so works out about the same as BOB, it's only that i already had my Router that i bought the handset otherwise i think i would have bought BOB despite the expense.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:59 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Originally Posted by saxtonj
Don't get Skype and VOIP confused either - they aren't the same thing and don't work together.
How do you think Skype works then?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:45 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there is the option of just plugging in a VOIP adapter into your existing router. They are about $40 on ebay. Then you can just use your normal phone plugged into it.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by saxtonj
It's all expensive out here - I have the iinet naked dsl and bought my own phone - a gigaset - got to say it was a ball ache to set up but works well once it is set up. I don't have a router with a specific voip port otherwise i could have just bought a standard digital phone. It is cheaper i think but then i don't use it a lot - i generally just use mobile or Skype fo rfriends and family in England.

If you don't already have a wireless modem and a voip phone then BOB isn't that bad, yes it's still expensive but for the hassle of setting up another voip phone and router etc - especially if you're not IT savvy, is outweighed i think.

if you are really interested then i'm running off a Belkin N1+ router with a gigaset VOIP handset.

But my router was over $200 and the handset was $150 so works out about the same as BOB, it's only that i already had my Router that i bought the handset otherwise i think i would have bought BOB despite the expense.

I did it and it was easy. I got a wireless router with a built in phone connection set up the adsl connection plugged in the phone and off I went. only took about 15 minutes didn't need to pay for a phone just used my existing one.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachband
How do you think Skype works then?
It's true, they are both 'Voice over Internet' but in the IT world they are classified as 2 different things. VOIP refers to a lot of standardised protocols/systems which can be made to talk to each other. With skype, you have to use their software and their service - end of story.

With VOIP you can for example buy a phone from a number of companies, get an account from any number of providers and off you go. VOIP also scales up massively [I'm involved with sites with 200+ VOIP phones which is small beer really].
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO

Its late i know

cheers jase
You could save money by buying different bits but unless you really know the ins and outs of the hardware/software/protocols it's not a good idea - although getting a VOIP adapter and plugging in a normal phone is a cheaper way of doing it.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:51 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
It's true, they are both 'Voice over Internet' but in the IT world they are classified as 2 different things. VOIP refers to a lot of standardised protocols/systems which can be made to talk to each other. With skype, you have to use their software and their service - end of story.
Skype is not a client, but it do use voip, they do work together.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

This is the modem to buy for Voip, reason being it can handle more than one Voip provider.... the reason that is good, there are plenty of voip providers that have much cheaper rates than IInet.

http://au.billion.com/product/voip/bipac7404vgp.php

IInet supply a voip service with free outgoing local and national calls with most of their naked services.... its where they make a bit of money. Their mobile call rates however are not so good @ 29 cents per minute to Aus mobile with 30 second billing. With International calls being 5 cents per minute.

Now when you compare that to someone like Pennytel whos mobile rates are 10.5 cents per minute to mobiles (Charged by the second) and 1.5 cents per minute or free on some plans to the UK then you can see why it could be a wise Idea to steer away from BoB.... which I can bet your bottom dollar is next to impossible to configure to another Voip provider.

I'm with IInet and managed to get one of their old modem to work with Pennytel, however their Belkin modem can only handle one Voip provider.

So even though I get IInet voip.... I've managed my IInet voip account to call forward all calls to my Pennytel number and use the Pennytel service on the IInet account.

I'm waiting for the above mentioned modem to come down in price to sub 200... 150 bucks and I'll be straight in.... then I will be able to have 2 phone lines on the same modem with the different providers. Hopefully someone reading this can point me at a wireless capable modem that will handle more than 1 voip provider for sub 200 bucks ?

In essence.... sure use IInet they are a good company.... there again so are TPG and Westnet... as for their Voip.... there are plenty of better providers. Can't blame IInet though, they need to make a decent profit on some of their services.

Hmmmm afterthought .....

How far away are you from getting your IInet service JC ?

I may have a IInet voip modem going relatively cheap... find out how much it is to join bringing your own Modem.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 17th 2009 at 2:24 am.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure it's available in your area...we wanted VOIP, but it's not available here (Beeliar).

Also, one thing with the modems...you can always buy your own (and they're usually cheaper) but the company won't support them if you have tech issues...
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:21 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beachband
Skype is not a client, but it do use voip, they do work together.
Skype is a proprietary system (peer to peer based), it is a type of VOIP in that it is a system for voice over IP. However it is not SIP which is the generic standard protocol for voip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype see the system and software section
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session...ation_Protocol

They aren't the same and don't really work together apart from the fact you can get extensions which allow SIP software to interact with Skype.

Re: BOB, seems to be an expensive solution. I would suggest looking at Siemens gigaset IP phones (and A SIP providor) or one of the billions like Ozzieeagle suggested. Advantage of your own phone or modem is you can choose your SIP/VOIP provider with the priceplans to suit you and get UK incoming number etc.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

One question for people reading.

Are there a lot of people out there that are wary of Voip, because of setting up and configuring modems etc etc ? Or they dont trust not having a traditional phone line ???

It can be a bit of a bugger but not that hard... probably take 15-20 minutes for a total newby with good concentration.

I've never seen anyone offering a service to set up Voip services in peoples houses, and the money saved makes it a worthwhile enterprise.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 17th 2009 at 2:33 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.