Internet Help!

Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice
Default Internet Help!

Hi
Right i am completley confused, being used to UK internet options for the past 10 years all you do is pay a monthly fee and internet is then free.

What are internet limitations i see advertised i.e 2gb, etc?

What consists of a download?
Is surfing the web downloading or is it just when you download music and videos (which i do not)?

My average weekly use in the uk is roughly 1hour a day internet browsing, and maybe watching 1 or 2 games of rugby a week on my pc, what would my usage be?

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Internet Help!

The download cap includes every site you visit (there's a very limited few free ones that normally depend on which ISP you're going to use).

Every website has images/text etc that all contribute to your downloads, so it isn't going to just be music/videos etc. It's everything.

It came as a bit of a shock to me also!

Oh and watching something like live sports etc on the PC will really eat up your download allowance.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:00 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

...... and when you reach your GB limit, they'll either charge you an arm and a leg/MB or slow it down.
..... and if you have mobile B/band, say 3, and you go to say a Bigpond coverage area (were there is no 3 coverage), they'll charge you more to autoroam the download feed.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

thanks Guys,

wow that is a shock, every site you visit, wasnt expecting that

Can anyone estimate what my monthly usage would be on the above use?

I need to look at what package is best for me, and i have absolutely no idea what kind of usage mine is as it all in here?!!!

Thanks
Again
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DibDob

There are a few comparison sites out there, google them. Sorry I was trying to do it for you but I'm SPEED LIMITED!!!!!!! grrrr

Have a look on whirlpool ... some geeky heads on there but you might find the info you need

sounds like you would be quite a light user, it asks you on these sites how you use your internet and helps pick the best plan. Definitely shop around because you're usually locked in to a plan for 12 - 24 months and if a cheaper, better one comes along you're screwed
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We use Big Pond 25 gb a month and we can change our plan at the flick of a key anytime we like.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:23 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

That's what annoys me about Australia. Charging you an arm and a leg for an adequate broadband package whereas here in the UK I enjoy my 20 mb/s download speed and unlimited download allowance, and all very cheap too.The equivalent would likely cost me over $100 or more in Oz, although not sure if they have download speeds approaching those in Europe. I know the reasons Australia has slow broadband but still annoying.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Optus usage figures apply to both download and upload....so if you are file sharing remember than what you share back accounts towards the month limit.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:09 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Optus usage figures apply to both download and upload....so if you are file sharing remember than what you share back accounts towards the month limit.
Telstra phoned me up yesterday to try and flog me new services. Just for that I'm going to move my internet requirements to someone else.

Which is the best deal for ADSL via the phone line? Any suggestions. I've looked at TPG and it looks quite good, what others are there?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Telstra phoned me up yesterday to try and flog me new services. Just for that I'm going to move my internet requirements to someone else.

Which is the best deal for ADSL via the phone line? Any suggestions. I've looked at TPG and it looks quite good, what others are there?
I'm with Internode - a big company, based in Adelaide - and have always found them to be very responsive. Any problems and they will get onto it promptly.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
This applies to the new offers.

I am on a grandfather plan that doesn't include uploads and that's why I won't change to one of the new plans.

EDIT: Drinking Shiraz and didn't read Red's comments properly so had to edit.

For best deals go ADSL which means you need to have a Telstra line that you then swap over to another SP. Unfortunately, having an Optus phone line means no ADSL unless I pay Telstra to install and then swap Telstra out after a month.

Ian

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; Oct 22nd 2009 at 11:49 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mecheng
That's what annoys me about Australia. Charging you an arm and a leg for an adequate broadband package whereas here in the UK I enjoy my 20 mb/s download speed and unlimited download allowance, and all very cheap too.The equivalent would likely cost me over $100 or more in Oz, although not sure if they have download speeds approaching those in Europe. I know the reasons Australia has slow broadband but still annoying.
I thought Australia often had faster speeds than the UK. The UK has been on ADSL1 until recently right?

Moving to a large country far away from Northern Hem means you have to be prepared for difference. It is expensive to lay transcontinental cables so Australia has download limits. We are a huge country so hard to cover every nook and cranny with ADSL2+. Next you'll be annoyed 22 million people haven't funded roads that criss cross every inch of the continent with beautiful 5 lane motorways.

Some people have had 20Mbs for years by the way...I've had ADSL2+ for a long time as have many others....some still can't get it, luck of the draw.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia suffers from some of the most expensive and restrictive adsl I have ever seen. Its due to the monopoly telstra has on the network, the same as BT used to in the UK.
Plans are going through the goverment to change this, so hopefully in a few years competition will give better plans.

The best package I could find was through iinet, its a 60/40gb plan so 100gb total but 60 is for offpeak and 40 on peak. Basiclly morning up till 12 is offpeak.

I do a fair amount of downloading as the TV and radio are rubbish here, so a decent download was essential. I think I pay about $90. This is a naked package so no phoneline no line rental, its just pure adsl internet
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Australia suffers from some of the most expensive and restrictive adsl I have ever seen. Its due to the monopoly telstra has on the network, the same as BT used to in the UK.
Plans are going through the goverment to change this, so hopefully in a few years competition will give better plans.

The best package I could find was through iinet, its a 60/40gb plan so 100gb total but 60 is for offpeak and 40 on peak. Basiclly morning up till 12 is offpeak.

I do a fair amount of downloading as the TV and radio are rubbish here, so a decent download was essential. I think I pay about $90. This is a naked package so no phoneline no line rental, its just pure adsl internet
TPG are doing 40/40 for 49.99 or 65/85 naked for 79.99.

Not just due to Telstra wholesale pricing....download limits due to geographic isolation. Can't move the country

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 22nd 2009 at 1:39 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:41 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fish.01
I thought Australia often had faster speeds than the UK. The UK has been on ADSL1 until recently right?

Moving to a large country far away from Northern Hem means you have to be prepared for difference. It is expensive to lay transcontinental cables so Australia has download limits. We are a huge country so hard to cover every nook and cranny with ADSL2+. Next you'll be annoyed 22 million people haven't funded roads that criss cross every inch of the continent with beautiful 5 lane motorways.

Some people have had 20Mbs for years by the way...I've had ADSL2+ for a long time as have many others....some still can't get it, luck of the draw.
From the tone of your reply fish, I'd say you are giving me crap

As I said fish, I'm aware of the capacity restrictions due to the geographical location of Australia. I have a right, as do all Australians, to be annoyed at that, even though we can't do anything about it. Either way, broadband with decent download allowance is extremely expensive.

I was expecting 6 lane freeways to criss-cross the country but you can't have everything unfortunately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.