Reload this Page >

internet connection for visit to adelaide

internet connection for visit to adelaide

Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

DBASS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default internet connection for visit to adelaide

Hi there

im getting the hang of this now - going to drive you all mad with questions that have probably been asked many times before.

we are going to adelaide to check things out on July 21st for 5 weeks - schools, houses, business premises etc.

the appartments we are staying in (ramada plaza pier) says it has internet access. do we need special software and leads? do we have to subscribe?

thanks
Debbie & Jason
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! ( and welcome! ),

this is something i've been wondering too, i think you need and aussie 'phone point adaptor ( am sure the 'puter boffins amongst us can give it it's proper name! ) and theres a isp you can subscribe to, temporarily, 3 mths, 6 mths etc, 'cept i can't remember who it is, but i know that it can tide you over - will do a search on the net and let you know soon.

failing that - "PLAN B" - nearest internet cafe!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:47 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steandleigh
Hi! ( and welcome! ),

this is something i've been wondering too, i think you need and aussie 'phone point adaptor ( am sure the 'puter boffins amongst us can give it it's proper name! ) and theres a isp you can subscribe to, temporarily, 3 mths, 6 mths etc, 'cept i can't remember who it is, but i know that it can tide you over - will do a search on the net and let you know soon.

failing that - "PLAN B" - nearest internet cafe!!!!!!!!!
As for the cable, Oz phone sockets are like the US RJ-11's (the same as the plug that goes in the computer end). For the sake of a couple of $ / £ I would probably just buy a new cable when you get there. In fact, you existing cable might have the RJ-11 in each end now and you are using an adapter to fit into the BT socket?
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

DBASS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wmoore
As for the cable, Oz phone sockets are like the US RJ-11's (the same as the plug that goes in the computer end). For the sake of a couple of $ / £ I would probably just buy a new cable when you get there. In fact, you existing cable might have the RJ-11 in each end now and you are using an adapter to fit into the BT socket?
thanks for the replies - this forum saves hours and hours of research. Hope we can contribute as we get more info ourselves
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:11 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DBASS
thanks for the replies - this forum saves hours and hours of research. Hope we can contribute as we get more info ourselves
You mean as you get more and more hooked and can't leave the computer alone for more than 4 minutes? Like the rest of us
Old Jun 29th 2004, 10:07 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by wmoore
As for the cable, Oz phone sockets are like the US RJ-11's (the same as the plug that goes in the computer end).
Ohhhh no they're not! Well not all of them. The ones in our serviced apartment weren't. They took plugs that were damn great things that someone posted a picture of quite recently. (I can't remember all the equipment numbers.) However you can get an adapter to go between these sockets and the standard modem cable plug, and these should be easy to find because of course the newer Oz telephones have that same plug.

As for a temporary ISP, I would be (pleasantly) surprised if you can get any short-term contract. But anyway really you should be able to get a sensible answer from the apartment people, I hope! Good luck!
Old Jun 29th 2004, 10:12 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: internet connection for visit to adelaide

Originally posted by DBASS
do we need special software and leads? do we have to subscribe?
To try to answer at least one thing positively, no you shouldn't need special software. Dial-up is dial-up. Telephone number, username, password, type 'em in and off you go. Or at least that was our experience.

Oh, maybe they have cable broadband... dunno about that. You would need a suitable modem for starters.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visiting Adelaide

I've lived in Adelaide for several years now. I used to go to boarding school in Sutton Coldfield! . . . . last three years of high school.
The Ramada is in Glenelg, I think, and you'll have to check with them what sort of internet connection they have and who is their Internet Service Provider . . .ISP.
You can get pre-pay internet provision by paying a fixed ammount, say $20, at the Post Office and they will give you a card that allows you "x" number of hours for that price with a particular ISP . . . could be Telecom, or one of the many other ISP's here in Australia.
I'd be interested in finding out what your circumstances are. . . . whether you are looking at schools? private or state schools? what sort of business are you considering getting into? etc.