Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet connection as soon as you arrive?

Internet connection as soon as you arrive?

Old May 21st 2006, 7:31 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light
Default Internet connection as soon as you arrive?

Hi everyone,
Maybe I am just thick when it comes to this sort of thing but how did you have internet connection as soon as you arrive??? We are going to buy a laptop so we have access to the internet while our stuff is being shipped but how do you do the interent thing from a motel??? I spoke to someone in PC world and he recommended a vodafone GPRS data card but to use it in Oz it would cost £95 a month on a minimum 12 month contract:scared: . Is there another way around this or do I just have to rely on internet cafe's until I get a permanent address to have broadband or even just a telephone line fitted.
And I have heard how your telephone line can take a while to be installed due to the 'laid back' services of Telstra - will I be off line for ages I suppose it will be a way of breaking the cycle of checking my emails every 10 seconds...
Ta
Katie x
Old May 21st 2006, 8:11 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet connection as soon as you arrive?

Originally Posted by glennandkate
Hi everyone,
Maybe I am just thick when it comes to this sort of thing but how did you have internet connection as soon as you arrive??? We are going to buy a laptop so we have access to the internet while our stuff is being shipped but how do you do the interent thing from a motel??? I spoke to someone in PC world and he recommended a vodafone GPRS data card but to use it in Oz it would cost £95 a month on a minimum 12 month contract:scared: . Is there another way around this or do I just have to rely on internet cafe's until I get a permanent address to have broadband or even just a telephone line fitted.
And I have heard how your telephone line can take a while to be installed due to the 'laid back' services of Telstra - will I be off line for ages I suppose it will be a way of breaking the cycle of checking my emails every 10 seconds...
Ta
Katie x
If you buy a lappy with wireless connector, you can almost definitely use internet and email from your motel. maybe if you send an email to the motel and ask about internet facilities there. Also if you are staying somewhere for a longer period, if you have wireless internet, you can quite often surf on somebody elses connection.
Old May 21st 2006, 8:32 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Don't go the Voda route. Just make sure your laptop has a wireless network card. Then you can try these locations, or McDonalds or Starbucks. Also (don't know where you're moving to) try this free Wi-Fi hotspot locator.
Old May 21st 2006, 8:37 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you, Thank you, Thankyou - I'm a bit stone age when it comes to pc's - only had ones that plug into something to make the internet work. I will make sure I buy a laptop with the wireless thingy...
Old May 21st 2006, 8:44 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glennandkate
Thank you, Thank you, Thankyou - I'm a bit stone age when it comes to pc's - only had ones that plug into something to make the internet work. I will make sure I buy a laptop with the wireless thingy...
Youre welcome.

If you do a search on BE, there are plenty of threads about buying lappys to take to Oz.

Maybe worth looking at with regards to warranty and service.
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
Also (don't know where you're moving to) try this free Wi-Fi hotspot locator.
Great site. Just what I was looking for in prep for our move.

Thanks
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:19 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Some (but not all) furnsihed homes have a phone line so you can use a dial up connection. You can buy a disk from an electrical store which will give you x number of pre-paid hours connection time. If you are renting a furnished house check it has a phone line and ask the owner if they can organise a pre-paid internet cd for you, most will have it all there waiting for you.

Lynn