Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet connection in holiday rental

Internet connection in holiday rental

Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default Internet connection in holiday rental

We are in the process of booking our holiday accommodation and want to know if it is important to have internet connection, as we will be looking for short/long term rental during this time. How do you search for rentals once you arrive there? Is it a case of physically going to each real estate and getting local papers, as by the time these rentals get onto the internet they have already been snapped up?

The holiday accommodations we have looked at so far do not offer this facility and if having a laptop is vital in finding rentals, then is there a way of getting around this? If they offer a phone line, can you get temporary internet?

We are looking at Duncraig and surrounding areas and obviously want to have a holiday accommodation close to these suburbs, but so far have not found any with broadband.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Internet connection in holiday rental

Originally Posted by Paul & June
We are in the process of booking our holiday accommodation and want to know if it is important to have internet connection, as we will be looking for short/long term rental during this time. How do you search for rentals once you arrive there? Is it a case of physically going to each real estate and getting local papers, as by the time these rentals get onto the internet they have already been snapped up?

The holiday accommodations we have looked at so far do not offer this facility and if having a laptop is vital in finding rentals, then is there a way of getting around this? If they offer a phone line, can you get temporary internet?

We are looking at Duncraig and surrounding areas and obviously want to have a holiday accommodation close to these suburbs, but so far have not found any with broadband.
get an dongle and access the internet overthe mobile phone network
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Hi
I know most of the people on here who offer short term furnished accommodation do provide internet access and usually the use of a computer. So maybe ask around. You could always have wireless access.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:57 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Wireless dongles will come with a 24 months contract, 12-months ones can have a eye-popping fee - still a good choice if you intend to continue to use it.

I stayed with some holiday-rental freaks wanting to charge me upward $25 per hour for use of their computer, so beware of those. Internet cafe is a decent option.

NJ
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:07 am
Mauled by the Tigers

Willerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura aboutWillerby_brisbane has a spectacular aura about

I have to admit that when i came across in April for a reccie, i was jumping on unsecured networks to get on line .

I have never been to a place with so many unsecure wireless networks, but there you go. Just see how many are available near where you are stopping. Failing that McDonalds lets you log in for a timed fee. I also used that a few times.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willerby_brisbane
I have to admit that when i came across in April for a reccie, i was jumping on unsecured networks to get on line .
Good suggestion. Use NetStumbler to see what networks are in range and whether they unsecured. http://www.netstumbler.com/

Of course, it's illegal.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:19 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Of course, it's illegal.
...but it saved me a lot of nights of Internet access in several London hotels.

Al
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newjersey
Wireless dongles will come with a 24 months contract, 12-months ones can have a eye-popping fee - still a good choice if you intend to continue to use it.

I stayed with some holiday-rental freaks wanting to charge me upward $25 per hour for use of their computer, so beware of those. Internet cafe is a decent option.

NJ
Actually thee are some that come with no contract at all- though you do have to pay for the modem upfront. If you're going to be moving around a lot for the first few months it's a good option.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

Thanks for the options.

So is the internet the first port of call for spotting a rental? Do the real estates put the details on fairly quickly or do we need to do daily visits to letting agencies in that area?

Is the rental market still difficult to get onto or is it slowing down now?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/984040.html

We just had our rent increased and the agent told me that the rental market is tight.

Money talks.

If you want the house you may have to pay more than the rental asked.

The further away from the CBD the easier it gets.

We hit the internet everyday when we were searching.

Now, as insurance, I would meet the agent and register. Let him see you are a nice person and not a home wrecker. Give him refs from work, friends. That way you will get first dibs on the house. Use http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=bhp&t=ren&cu= to check you are not being (completely) ripped-off.

Ian
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

1. If you can't get internet then at least make sure you have a yellow pages (avilable from the Post Office if there isn't one from your accommodation) then at least you can research the phone numbers.

2. Most addresses get junk mail which includes local magazines/newspapers with advertised properties in them - you should be able to get a copy from an estate agent or the place you're staying may have one. One of the companies that despatches these is salmat - email [email protected] - they may be able to tell you how to get a copy.

Other than that it really is a case of calling all the agents in your chosen area and asking what they have.

3. Even in the last 3 months internet cafes have opened up at all my local shopping centres and it's pretty cheap to use the internet there by the hour with your latte or cappucino to hand.

4. I think UK2OZ is right and that many places do have internet access but I don't know what price point they'd come in at. Our place does and I know a chain of executive apartments on the internet have access in all their places.

All the best

Carolyn