Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Connection

Internet Connection

Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:12 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Smile Internet Connection

Just read your post 'jayr' and wanted to add this.
At the moment at home (UK) I have a broadband connection which costs £29/month about $70 AUD, this allows me unlimited downloads, well, it has up to now, they haven't warned me yet. The speed is 512/256, is there an equivalent or better, cheaper! plan by any companies in Australia that anyone knows about.

Cheers
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Internet Connection

Originally posted by rossifumi
Just read your post 'jayr' and wanted to add this.
At the moment at home (UK) I have a broadband connection which costs £29/month about $70 AUD, this allows me unlimited downloads, well, it has up to now, they haven't warned me yet. The speed is 512/256, is there an equivalent or better, cheaper! plan by any companies in Australia that anyone knows about.

Cheers

i was gonna ask exactly the same question as have been sifting through them all and would love to know!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:48 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I have read you can expect higher broadband charges once in Oz than we enjoy here.

My understanding is that most providers will charge you a price and give you so much to download. This includes normal browsing, file downloads, emails etc etc. All the stuff we take for granted. I believe you can pay for unlimited Gb but expect to pay a very high premium for it.

www.whirlpool.net.au

have a load of info about Australian Broadband.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:35 pm

Many thanks Ian, just thought I need to get my priorities right hehehehehehehe! Sure you understand mate.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

And for those poor souls on dialup: there are no free dial-up ISP's here, you will generally need to pay a monthly fee (and even some of those have download limits although thankfully that pratice is on the way out!).

If you are in a remote area however, you may not be able to get a decent connection, a friend of mine living on property in the middle of woop woop was lucky to connect at 20kbs (its hard to keep the string tight, and the tin cans keep rusting away).

Needless to say, if you are in that situation, forget ADSL or cable, it isnt gonna happen!

On the bright side though, all you pay on a local call is a connection charge (30cents?), and can stay hooked up to the net as long as you like.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:49 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We have dial up with a local call of (17.5c) for $25 a month but it has a limit of 500mb download a month. We are nearly at that in 2 weeks.

Anyone know of any good dial up ISP's with local calls and unlimited download??????

Jo

Oh and we also had to pay $50 to connect to them. Not like the UK were it was free. We are looking at Broadband but it costs so much to connect we will wait until we both have jobs
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:50 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

Rossi,

I know exactly what you mean mate. Lets get the important stuff sorted first. Oh I suppose we had better find a house to put the Broadband and PC in as well.

Lets not run before we can walk though eh.

Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:23 am

Nah, house? First of all we gotta get the visa sorted, just a minor point! Just thought I'd do some checking first though.
Have you started the process yet matey, are you using an agent, if so, which one?

Cheers

rossifumi
Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:56 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

I am done and dusted mate. I got my visa back in 2000 and haven't got round to going yet (personal family reasons prevented me). I have until Jun 2005 to go, but my house is sold (waiting for my buyer to sell hers) and then I am off.

I did use an agent (Ian Harrop & Associates....a guy called Zeno Bolzicco who is a top man) and they were superb.

Good luck on the arduous path that is gaining a visa. It is worth it in the end.

If you need any more info then feel free to ask or PM me.

Melbourne here I come.........

Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Anyone know of any good dial up ISP's with local calls and unlimited download??????

Jo

Check out TPG

Unlimited downloads
Unlimited hours
$16.99 inc. GST a month
Minimum 3 month plan for Credit Card - paid quarterly in advance ($50.97 every 3 months)
Minimum 12 month plan for Cheque - paid annually in advance ($203.88 every 12 months)
5 FREE email addresses
10MB website space
4 hour session limit, No administration fees, Non-refundable.

Available in NSW: Sydney, Albury, Armidale, Bathurst, Coffs Harbour, Cowra, Dubbo, Gosford, Goulburn, Grafton, Kiama/ Wollongong, Lake Macquarie/Newcastle, Nowra, Penrith, Port Macquarie, Tamworth, Taree, Wagga Wagga. VIC: Melbourne, Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Leongatha, Lilydale, Morwell, Sale, Shepparton, Warragul, Warrnambool. QLD: Brisbane, Ayr, Atherton, Bowen, Bundaberg, Cairns, Emerald, Gladstone, Gympie, Longreach, Mackay, Mt Isa, Noosa Heads, Rockhampton, Roma, Southport/Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Townsville. ACT: Canberra. SA: Adelaide, Mt Gambier. WA: Perth, Broome, Bunbury, Rockingham. TAS: Hobart, Launceston. NT: Darwin.

TPG
Old Apr 8th 2004, 10:21 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking we had a bad deal in NZ at $27 a month but seems not and that is unlimited access, but that is dial up and only 44kbps and I think it was 52 in the uk
Old Apr 8th 2004, 11:04 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Trevglas

Jo

Check out TPG

Unlimited downloads
Unlimited hours
$16.99 inc. GST a month
Minimum 3 month plan for Credit Card - paid quarterly in advance ($50.97 every 3 months)
Minimum 12 month plan for Cheque - paid annually in advance ($203.88 every 12 months)
5 FREE email addresses
10MB website space
4 hour session limit, No administration fees, Non-refundable.

Available in NSW: Sydney, Albury, Armidale, Bathurst, Coffs Harbour, Cowra, Dubbo, Gosford, Goulburn, Grafton, Kiama/ Wollongong, Lake Macquarie/Newcastle, Nowra, Penrith, Port Macquarie, Tamworth, Taree, Wagga Wagga. VIC: Melbourne, Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Leongatha, Lilydale, Morwell, Sale, Shepparton, Warragul, Warrnambool. QLD: Brisbane, Ayr, Atherton, Bowen, Bundaberg, Cairns, Emerald, Gladstone, Gympie, Longreach, Mackay, Mt Isa, Noosa Heads, Rockhampton, Roma, Southport/Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Townsville. ACT: Canberra. SA: Adelaide, Mt Gambier. WA: Perth, Broome, Bunbury, Rockingham. TAS: Hobart, Launceston. NT: Darwin.

TPG
I left them for being too slow. Anyhow I recommend going broadband over diallup. You won't ever look back.