Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Old Dec 19th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of
Default Re: Internet Advice - Routers and Looters?

Well we wanted naked internet,but sadly couldnt cos iinet didnt have anything in our local exchange,just helstra owned it all!

So had to have a telstra line for $29 a month,but aint using it!

So couldnt have the adsl 2, just the adsl,home plan 5 and also $20 iinet talk plan where local n national calls are free!
Also brought bob with phone which plugged straight in and works wonders but cant get our voip phone working,its probaly the way i have plugge dit in lol(got a phone 1 orange symbol flashing all the time

costs were
$59 phone set up
$79 internet set up
$269 bob n phone
and something else but forgot!
Best thing also about iinet is that even though i have signed up for a 24 month contract i can pull out any time and just have to pay the $100 discount i got of the phone!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Well we wanted naked internet,but sadly couldnt cos iinet didnt have anything in our local exchange,just helstra owned it all!

So had to have a telstra line for $29 a month,but aint using it!

So couldnt have the adsl 2, just the adsl,home plan 5 and also $20 iinet talk plan where local n national calls are free!
Also brought bob with phone which plugged straight in and works wonders but cant get our voip phone working,its probaly the way i have plugge dit in lol(got a phone 1 orange symbol flashing all the time

costs were
$59 phone set up
$79 internet set up
$269 bob n phone
and something else but forgot!
Best thing also about iinet is that even though i have signed up for a 24 month contract i can pull out any time and just have to pay the $100 discount i got of the phone!

They are slowly rolling out ADSL+2 DSLAMS (thats the 24mbps capacity) all over Aus... Most places are covered now. It is possible that TPG or Internode had your exchange covered. So if anyone else finds themselves in this situation they should ring around.

Here is a URL where you can check your local area. The major benefit of ADSL+2 exchanges is not only the speed, but the fact that you can avoid Telstra line rental usually starting @ 28 dollars per month.

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

it was full of "telstra" only!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
it was full of "telstra" only!

Thats annoying eh

When your contract runs out, the situation should have changed
Old Dec 19th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Originally Posted by GarryP
With VOIP you get a dial in number that works like a normal phone number. The difference is :
a) you can be anywhere in the world and the number should still work (eg if you get a UK number it will work in Aus - ie Sipgate)
b) if the people ringing you are on the same or connected VOIP provider, the call is generally free

About the only theoretical downside of VOIP is it stops working if the power goes down (by so does your DECT phone) - and emergency numbers need be handled carefully (because you could be anywhere).
Would my fokes be able to call the VOIP number for free using something like Skype? Don't want to be doing webcam calls through skype all the time. Sometimes it is good just to talk!
Old Dec 20th 2009, 4:53 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Would my fokes be able to call the VOIP number for free using something like Skype? Don't want to be doing webcam calls through skype all the time. Sometimes it is good just to talk!
Its only free if they are on the same provider, or one who has a deal with them - and Skype is as non-standard and separate as you can get. However if you had a geographic UK VOIP number they could call it as if it was in the UK.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:22 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Great link mate! My options for my pad, why no iinet or am i missing something? Ahhhhhhhh Chime, i was!

Provider Status Estimate Available Now

TPG Active Yes

Chime (Iinet) Active Yes

Telstra ADSL1 Active Yes

Optus Active Yes

Primus Active Yes

Telstra ADSL2+ Active Yes

Keith
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Great link mate! My options for my pad, why no iinet or am i missing something? Ahhhhhhhh Chime, i was!

Provider Status Estimate Available Now

TPG Active Yes

Chime (Iinet) Active Yes

Telstra ADSL1 Active Yes

Optus Active Yes

Primus Active Yes

Telstra ADSL2+ Active Yes

Keith
Not heard of Chime before, sounds like a company that IInet have taken over. Hopefully they have available ports for you.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:31 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Found this, might be of help to a newbie?

Merry Xmas Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dynalink_RTA_1046VW_PPPoE.pdf (620.3 KB, 102 views)
Old Dec 24th 2009, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

If you can get iinet - highly recommend it - i have the ADSL 2 - they have just upped the quota this week as well

VOIP is top quality as well (and v cheap)

Free bonus - if you like premier league they have 4 live games and 5 on demand games free and quota free
Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:12 am
Banned

Due to circumstances i have opted for a PAYG Vodaphone account on a dongle for now. Not cheap, but serves the purpose.

I have a question;

When you install the Vodaphone software, it works fine, but i like to get online through Windows, i don't like the software these things come with. So i created a dial up connection, it is not really a dial up, but gets you online going through Windows rather than having to use the Vodaphone software.

What i am asking is how secure is this way of conecting and surfing the internet? A Pay up Front Dongle on recharge through Vodaphone. Can anyone else hook onto my bandwidth, its just i do not have to enter any password or anything to get online. I just either fire up the Vodaphone software, then press connect and i am online or just click on the dial up connection and i am also online without the need of the Vodaphone software, and without the need of any encription password. Does this seem corrent, is the bandwidth unique to my own dongle or something?

Thanks Keith
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:35 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Due to circumstances i have opted for a PAYG Vodaphone account on a dongle for now. Not cheap, but serves the purpose.

I have a question;

When you install the Vodaphone software, it works fine, but i like to get online through Windows, i don't like the software these things come with. So i created a dial up connection, it is not really a dial up, but gets you online going through Windows rather than having to use the Vodaphone software.

What i am asking is how secure is this way of conecting and surfing the internet? A Pay up Front Dongle on recharge through Vodaphone. Can anyone else hook onto my bandwidth, its just i do not have to enter any password or anything to get online. I just either fire up the Vodaphone software, then press connect and i am online or just click on the dial up connection and i am also online without the need of the Vodaphone software, and without the need of any encription password. Does this seem corrent, is the bandwidth unique to my own dongle or something?

Thanks Keith
Its all tied to the SIM in the dongle and managed by software at the voda end, its reasonably secure..
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

I have a question;

Thanks Keith
Technically, you are dialling up. The dongle is much like a cut down mobile phone. It connects to the Vodaphone mobile network and makes a data call. You dont need a username/password because its all done via the SIM card in exactly the same way your mobile does.

The bandwidth is unique to your donlge, the connection is pretty much secure, someone would need a mobile phone scanner, and then do some funky hacking to utilise it.

Basically, think of the dongle as a mobile phone and you're about there.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by silver
Its all tied to the SIM in the dongle and managed by software at the voda end, its reasonably secure..

Originally Posted by CosmicBertie
Technically, you are dialling up. The dongle is much like a cut down mobile phone. It connects to the Vodaphone mobile network and makes a data call. You dont need a username/password because its all done via the SIM card in exactly the same way your mobile does.

The bandwidth is unique to your donlge, the connection is pretty much secure, someone would need a mobile phone scanner, and then do some funky hacking to utilise it.

Basically, think of the dongle as a mobile phone and you're about there.
Gents, cheers.

Just wondering, i am going to do a recharge online, 12 gig, $150 bucks, they say if you do it online with a credit/debit card, then you get an extra 10% so 1.5 gig. Does this mean i will get 13.5 gig for $150 bucks or is the 1.5 gig included in the 12 gig for $150 bucks if you charge online?

Cheers again Keith
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:11 am
Banned

P.S.

Anyone want to unlock their Huawei K3765 for free then;

Join here;

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=781410

Post your IMEI number -on this thread "Huawei MDM Unlocking codes Request"

Say thanks, then wait for your unlock code.

Down load this.

SMTi HUAWEI MODEM Code Writer v 1.0

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=773723

Cheers Keith

Tutorial.

1. Put a SIM card in it.
- It won't be recognised without a SIM card in it. It doesn't have to be the Voda SIM card that came with it, any SIM card will do.

2. Plug it in.

3. Install the software from the dongle
- After plugging it in you should get another drive letter appear in Explorer. Run the setup_vmc_lite.exe program.

4. Get an unlock code.
- gsmhosting is free.

5. Download the unlock program
- http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=773723

6. Run the unlock program
- click on 'Please Select Com Port'.
- click on Detect and select the Modem.
- click Accept.
- click Unlock Modem ( it should say Found Phone, Phone Info: blah )
- enter the unlock code into the popup window and click OK.

7. And it's done.

Enjoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.