Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internationally recognised exams at 16

Internationally recognised exams at 16

Old Jul 21st 2012, 4:46 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Default Internationally recognised exams at 16

Hiya,
We're heading over to Aus before the year is out on a 457 visa
My daughter is currently 12 and will be 16 when visa expires. I understand that in Australia they dont have exams at 16 or gcse equivalent, however I was told a while ago that I could get my daughter to sit 'x' exams at 16 which are higher than gcse but not as high as a levels and that they are internationally recognised. Does anyone know what they are called or have any more info on them? Also what would happen if she didn't take them we come back, do you think I would struggle getter her a place at college for a levels?
Thanks
Old Jul 21st 2012, 10:22 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internationally recognised exams at 16

Do you mean the International Baccalaureate?

http://www.ibo.org/
Old Jul 21st 2012, 11:48 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
I was told a while ago that I could get my daughter to sit 'x' exams at 16 which are higher than gcse but not as high as a levels and that they are internationally recognised.
That sounds like a reference to the International Baccalaureate, as the poster above suggests. However, the IB is (usually) done between 16 and 18, and it's no less rigorous than A-levels imhe.

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
what would happen if she didn't take them we come back, do you think I would struggle getter her a place at college for a levels?
I wouldn't worry too much - kids move between different education systems all the time. So long as the new college can see the curriculum your daughter was working from and her grades, they'll know where to stick her.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I would just turn-up at the UK school with the Aus school report and syllabi of the subjects that she wishes to do for her 'A' levels. This will help the UK teacher to see whether she needs extra attention.

I know it's a bit early (only 12), but I would get the Aus syllabus for year 10 (11, if she jumps) and ask a UK teacher for their initial views on how comparable they are. It may be that she can do extra tuition in Aus just before she returns. I would only worry about this if she intends to do Maths/Science 'A' levels.

The other thing I would do is put her in the year ahead. In the UK we do an extra year's schooling, and if the kids enter an Aus class with kids of their own age, they enjoy the doss. Ask for her to jump a year. It's OK - they offered it to both my kids, who decided to stay with kids of their own age.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:33 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the advise guys, will certainly look at the link
Year ahead Humm might do this for my middle one cos he's ahead now and finds it a bit boring especially Maths and has bee doing the year abouts Maths for a while!
Certainly food for though, thanks again
Old Jul 27th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about elsewhere but for QLD unless they are struggling in the uk seriously consider the jump ahead. Though having said that the new national curriculum this year has closed the gap somewhat
Old Jul 27th 2012, 10:44 am
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by Safin
Don't know about elsewhere but for QLD unless they are struggling in the uk seriously consider the jump ahead. Though having said that the new national curriculum this year has closed the gap somewhat
We're heading for qld, very interesting, thanks
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

The IB is not a qualification for 16 year olds- it is a rigorous internationally recognised qualification that is as challenging, if not more so, than A levels and is an excellent preparation for university. The advantage of doing the IB is that the syllabus is the same wherever you are, so if you move schools/countries while doing it you can continue on the same pathway in your new school.

DD's school has a lot of international students who do the IB for this very reason, as they might have to move at any time.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:33 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not entirely convinced by the "it'll help if you want to move" line, as there are UK, US, French and German system schools all over the place which are all just as fungible, and in any case there is substantial possible disconnect between different I schools doing different history, language, TOK classes anyway, aren't there?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:04 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

do remember that if your children return to the UK for Uni you will have to pay international fees as you will have been resident elsewhere not in the EU for 4 years (I believe that anything more than 2 years leaves you vulnerable to this) Although I'm not absolutely sure TBH, but I remember some people on the MBTTUK forum saying how expensive it was....