Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which international phone card is best now to call the UK ???

Which international phone card is best now to call the UK ???

Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all
Default Which international phone card is best now to call the UK ???

Hi all

I used to purchase a $10 international card from dicksmith called 'Boost phone home' card but its been discontinued.

What sort of phone cards do some of you guys purchase now to phone the UK, where from and what sort of deal do you get.

Thanks for any advice, its appreciated.
Russell
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:23 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which international phone card is best now to call the UK ???

Why use a card?

My $5 a month phone costs include free calls to the UK and that seems to do me just fine. (https://www.mynetfone.com.au/whirlpo.../NeoSaver-Plan).

ETA: For the non-tech savie - all you need is
a) A broadband internet conection
b) An analogue-SIP phone adaptor (plug an ordinary phone in one socket and plug the other end into your network and bingo all done)....

Call quality is just as good as any other phone line and you treat it just like any 'normal' phone - only without paying lots of money every month!

Last edited by DadAgain; Nov 17th 2010 at 4:28 am.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:12 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

I use the aussie phone card, can't fault it. http://www.accessphonecards.com.au/
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:03 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

We use lebara mobile:

http://www.lebara-mobile.com.au/

We just bought an unlocked phone for $17 from Hardly Normal and off we went! It's handy cos it's mobile so you bring it with you when you're off on hols etc, I ordered my dad the lebara uk and he says it's cheap as chips to phone us here in Oz with it too, EVERYONE'S A WINNER!!!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carlton Cold's
Hi all

I used to purchase a $10 international card from dicksmith called 'Boost phone home' card but its been discontinued.

What sort of phone cards do some of you guys purchase now to phone the UK, where from and what sort of deal do you get.

Thanks for any advice, its appreciated.
Russell
Why use a phone card?

If you have access to broadband, try penneytel.com.au to make VOIP calls. There is an iphone app or you can hook up a standard phone. Calls to the UK are 8c for the duration (no time limit), fantastic value.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Skype works too!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

TopGear will become famous soon enoughTopGear will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Skype works too!
Check out Onesuite, they got VoIP and phone card service. Great rates and the call quality is good.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
We use lebara mobile:

http://www.lebara-mobile.com.au/

We just bought an unlocked phone for $17 from Hardly Normal and off we went! It's handy cos it's mobile so you bring it with you when you're off on hols etc, I ordered my dad the lebara uk and he says it's cheap as chips to phone us here in Oz with it too, EVERYONE'S A WINNER!!!
...and the SIM cards are free at the moment

https://shop.lebara-mobile.com.au:8081/
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnye
Why use a phone card?

If you have access to broadband, try penneytel.com.au to make VOIP calls. There is an iphone app or you can hook up a standard phone. Calls to the UK are 8c for the duration (no time limit), fantastic value.
That's what I use. 8c unlimited time call to the UK - unbelievable.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:19 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I'm over the inconsistent quality from VOIP and hassle of charging phone cards. I've used a number of suppliers and whilst some calls are great, some are rubbish and you do not know which is going to be the case until you place the call.

I now take the easy route and use a Telstra international value pack. I'm happy with consistent call quality and at $0.02 per minute, 45c flag fall, its hardly expensive for the volume of calls I make.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
That's what I use. 8c unlimited time call to the UK - unbelievable.
I think they limit you to 2hrs and then cut you off.

Still, great value.

Plus, they are offering free mins atm http://promotions.pennytel.com/xprom...e_landing.html

EDIT: Just to be clear you don't need to get into VOIP and ATAs to use their service. http://www.pennytel.com/my/call_plans_compare.html
You can use ANI Callback or use Web Callback. In either instance a 2hr call to the UK would cost you 16c. There are two calls being made: Pennytel calls your Aus home number = 8c, and Pennytel calls the UK number = 8c. If you are using an ATA or voip phone then you just have one call to the UK at 8c as you dial direct without the help of Pennytel. Before I got a Voip phone I preferred the Web callback. Log into your Pennytel account and schedule a call at X time. Pennytel phones your number, you pick-up and it automatically calls the UK number.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; Dec 5th 2010 at 11:54 pm.