Reload this Page >

international driving licences

Wikiposts

international driving licences

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default international driving licences

Hi moving to sa this month what, if any ,are the benefits for pr visa holders taking an int driving licence against having a normal british licence.help
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 4:21 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: international driving licences

Originally posted by jockney
Hi moving to sa this month what, if any ,are the benefits for pr visa holders taking an int driving licence against having a normal british licence.help
Well I can tell you that British driving licenses are accepted in most countries (bit like Visa ) . When I was in Sing, one of my friends (an expat Brit) took her driving test there ... she got an international licence because some countries do not recognise the Singapore one. to be a "good licence".

Through most of the countries that I have been - a British driving licence is the only license you need. It is recognised as "he/she is a brit ... they can drive" in so many words.

I honestly do not think that there is a need for a Brit to get an international licence. The only prob which I have had ... is my license isn't a picture one (it's the old pink type), but I hear you have pic ones now in the UK.
even if you get an international one - you still have to get an Aussie one if you are PR , it will not make a difference whether you have a brit one, or an international one... When you become PR you need to get an Au license within three months of residing in that state.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 3rd 2003 at 4:26 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Wouldn’t bother with getting an international driving licence. All it really is is an authorised translation of your UK licence and will only be valid for 12 months. You will not have any bother with your UK licence here, but you have a time limit (6 months?) after taking up permanent residency by which you should have your new Oz. Failure to do this may invalidate your insurance in the event of a claim.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 4:54 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
When I was in Sing, one of my friends (an expat Brit) took her driving test there ... she got an international licence because some countries do not recognise the Singapore one. to be a "good licence".
Ceri,

The days of "unrecognized" Singapore licences are more or less over. Singapore has upgraded its licences to contain a photo of the holder, and is now a plasitc credit card sized card, instead of a sheet of paper that has nothing but dox-matrix printouts.

I used my Singapore licence in Canada as my main form of identification (I refuse to carry my passport around) as well as to rent a car. No problems at all.

Peter
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

gillianb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jockney

Hello 'Uncle' Jockney ... I thought I had told you some of this stuff!! Anyway, your International licence will give you 12 months to drive around and get used to the roads before getting your Aussie licence, which involves sitting the full test - written & practical. So it'll depend on how good your driving is (& how many bad habits you need to drop). If I was you, I'd just come out on the Brit licence and get the test over & done with after your first 3 months.

I'll phone you at the weekend. And great news ... it's finally hotting up here in sunny Adelaide, had to have the air-conditioning on in the car today!! Fishing off the beach this weekend, after a wee trip to stock up on the Peter Lehman's for your arrival!!
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thanks for your replies,however no better off with the deadline to sit your test in sa(whether you get int driving licence or not)at 3 months,6 months and 12 months.I should believe my neice who has replied 12 months but not sure how much of the peter lehmann product she had tested when she replied.Any more input please.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Jockney,

If you are coming out on a P/R visa, you have to do your test within the first 3 months, otherwise you will be treated as a new driver, L plates, P plates the lot. You have to do both the theory and practical. The test is not that bad, take a lesson then your test, no worries.

Colin
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Another question.....
We are validating in January but we do not intend to settle until Sept/Oct. Is the three months time limit to take your test valid when you validate visa or when I settle??

Help!
Debs
Old Sep 4th 2003, 2:45 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by debsy
Another question.....
We are validating in January but we do not intend to settle until Sept/Oct. Is the three months time limit to take your test valid when you validate visa or when I settle??

Help!
Debs
I can only speak for Queensland. The rule is if you are a citizen, or hold a visa which lets you stay in Aus indefinitely (ie PR holder).. you must get a queensland licence within three months of RESIDING in Queensland. If you're overseas... ie you have not come here yet... the three month rule doesn't apply to you... it only starts when you are living here.

The test is only a theory one in Queensland.... no need to sit your practical test.

If you are not a citizen, or a PR holder you can drive on your British one for as long as your British one as valid.

Below is the link/leaflet fact sheet (PDF) that explains overseas licenses for driving in QLD. If you are going to WA, NSW etc... check out their transport web sites. The info you need should be there. If it isn't ... email them. Get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...formation.pdf/$file/ODLH_Information.pdf

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/driving (their web site)

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 4th 2003 at 2:49 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 2:51 pm
owieb

In WA you can drive on your UK one, if you are NOT a PR or citizen (ie on a temp visa) for one year; then you have to do the theory test and get an Australian license.

Same rules apply of 3 months if you are PR.

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m...out/visit.html

Last edited by owieb; Sep 4th 2003 at 2:53 pm.

Old Sep 4th 2003, 2:56 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by ptlabs
Ceri,

The days of "unrecognized" Singapore licences are more or less over. Singapore has upgraded its licences to contain a photo of the holder, and is now a plasitc credit card sized card, instead of a sheet of paper that has nothing but dox-matrix printouts.

I used my Singapore licence in Canada as my main form of identification (I refuse to carry my passport around) as well as to rent a car. No problems at all.

Peter
When I was there.. I had a little green paper one , about the size of a credit card.. no picture. Had to renew it every year. Sing was easy to get a licence... just show them your Brit one, pay the fee... and they give you a Singapore one. No tests like in Aus. They've a cheek these Aussies . A British licence holder taking a test! They should try the British test.. half of them wouldn't pass. And I think, correct me if I'm wrong... Aussies who live in the UK.. need not take a test, they just fill out a form, pay the fee and get a British one (if they hold an AU licence)

Cheers
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
I can only speak for Queensland. The rule is if you are a citizen, or hold a visa which lets you stay in Aus indefinitely (ie PR holder).. you must get a queensland licence within three months of RESIDING in Queensland. If you're overseas... ie you have not come here yet... the three month rule doesn't apply to you... it only starts when you are living here.

The test is only a theory one in Queensland.... no need to sit your practical test.

If you are not a citizen, or a PR holder you can drive on your British one for as long as your British one as valid.

Cheers
This sounds pretty similar to the NSW rules. Surprised different states have such different rules.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 5:36 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The license is a very handy piece of ID that is accepted pretty much everywhere here.

I still think the locals drive like idiots. I guess they can get away with it in huge 4WDs