Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

International Driving Licence in Oz

International Driving Licence in Oz

Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:15 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of
Default International Driving Licence in Oz

Hi guys - just wondering if we could use the 1 year international driving permit in Oz - we have our visa and plan to move out there as soon as possible. I understand that we need to convert our english licence within 3 months, but thought if we could use an IDP it would give us up to a year to convert - is this possible as a permanent resident?

thanks in advance

regards

vb2
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Driving Licence in Oz

Originally Posted by vb2
Hi guys - just wondering if we could use the 1 year international driving permit in Oz - we have our visa and plan to move out there as soon as possible. I understand that we need to convert our english licence within 3 months, but thought if we could use an IDP it would give us up to a year to convert - is this possible as a permanent resident?

thanks in advance

regards

vb2
An internation permit has to be backed with a normal licence anyway. There is no benefit in keeping driving on a UK licence. Just switch. You use your licence as primary source of ID for everything here and its worth having it.

Its a simple process although in QLD we get the worst and have to take a theory test. No big deal. WA doesnt even need that.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:36 pm
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

we are moving to queensland and the whole "theory" test thing is quite frankly petrifying me!!! i never did it here in the UK when i passed my test 12 years ago!! and the very thought of tests make me feel all queasy inside lol!!
i guess i will simply have to bite the bullet and go for it, failing that, be a lady of leisure and let me husband go through the torture lol!!! ummmmmmm

vb2

Originally Posted by Centurion
An internation permit has to be backed with a normal licence anyway. There is no benefit in keeping driving on a UK licence. Just switch. You use your licence as primary source of ID for everything here and its worth having it.

Its a simple process although in QLD we get the worst and have to take a theory test. No big deal. WA doesnt even need that.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:38 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by vb2
we are moving to queensland and the whole "theory" test thing is quite frankly petrifying me!!! i never did it here in the UK when i passed my test 12 years ago!! and the very thought of tests make me feel all queasy inside lol!!
i guess i will simply have to bite the bullet and go for it, failing that, be a lady of leisure and let me husband go through the torture lol!!! ummmmmmm

vb2
Is it possible to "Live" in another state and then transfer it to Queensland when you move their (shortly after leving Wa or Vic after being there for a few day's)

Bye
Mark
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:12 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Just get with the program. You're living in Australia, get a licence.

The theory test is not bad. Just read the book "keys to queensland" and get familar with the signs. The only thing I can say is that there are 10 questions on giving way. ALWAYS GIVE WAY TO THE RIGHT!!! (even if it looks daft on paper lol).

I failed mine once and you can retake it the next day. Just turn up, take a ticket and sit it there and then. The staff are really good and its not intimidating at all. And the questions are multiple choice.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:30 pm
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
Just get with the program. You're living in Australia, get a licence.

The theory test is not bad. Just read the book "keys to queensland" and get familar with the signs. The only thing I can say is that there are 10 questions on giving way. ALWAYS GIVE WAY TO THE RIGHT!!! (even if it looks daft on paper lol).

I failed mine once and you can retake it the next day. Just turn up, take a ticket and sit it there and then. The staff are really good and its not intimidating at all. And the questions are multiple choice.

Hi,

can someone confirm or deny do you only take the theory test in WA or do you just swap your british licence for an Australian one...? heard a few different conflicting answers.

Cheers

Justin
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:46 pm
ABCDiamond

An "International Driving Permits (IDP)", is not required for UK licence holders.

They are required when your normal licence is in a different language, and must accompany your VALID National licence. An IDP is NOT a licence in itself, but effectively just a Translation of your licence.

WA - No theory test required
VIC - No theory test required
SA - No Theory Test required
NSW & ACT - No theory test required

Driving

Old Jan 6th 2006, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive over here on your international driving licence for one year but also I was told that your U.K licence is fine until you get your p.r even if you are on a 4 year 457 but you have to have your Oz licence within 3 months of receiving your p.r.

My wife was worried about conflicting information on the rules and we both went to do the written test. Now this is where it gets funny.
My wife is not the best driver in the world and annoys me to death at virtually stopping at every roundabout even though there are no cars coming! and passed with help and prompting on the multi choice questions "after" she had failed from the lady behind the counter.

Now, I was a professional driver in the U.K and was a Corporate chauffeur for over 20 years as well as at one stage a royal chauffeur. As well as being a R.O.S.P.A class one gold advanced , qualified to teach the police to drive blah de blah de blah, in other words You cannot be any more qualified to drive a vehicle.

Well I failed because the part of the test which pertained to rights of way were somewhat worded very badly to say the least. When I challenged them after I was informed that I had failed, the same lady behind the counter that had passed my wife two minutes earlier by telling her the correct answer to the same point as I had raised told me that, and I quote "Everyone from the U.K fails on this question because it is worded completely different to the way it is in the U.K.

So be warned that some of the questions are not exactly what they actually mean!. Also the staff can give you the correct answers if you do get something wrong.