Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

International Bank Transfer

International Bank Transfer

Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:02 am
Just Joined

jimbo33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Bank Transfer

Hi Guys and Girls.. Need help or Advice please.. I have transferred money via a money broker from the UK to Aus and have a receipt for the total amount they transferred in Aud $.. However my Commonwealth account shows $24 less. I have telephoned the Commonwealth Bank and they said it was a charge from the UK. I telephoned the Money Broker in UK and they said they transferred the whole amount..??? My question is - where has the $24 gone..??? I know its a small amount but that's not the point. Are Commonwealth Bank telling me the truth.?? They do not show a 'charge' onto my account just the amount paid in. Please advise if you can.. Thank you
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Bank Transfer

Originally Posted by jimbo33
Hi Guys and Girls.. Need help or Advice please.. I have transferred money via a money broker from the UK to Aus and have a receipt for the total amount they transferred in Aud $.. However my Commonwealth account shows $24 less. I have telephoned the Commonwealth Bank and they said it was a charge from the UK. I telephoned the Money Broker in UK and they said they transferred the whole amount..??? My question is - where has the $24 gone..??? I know its a small amount but that's not the point. Are Commonwealth Bank telling me the truth.?? They do not show a 'charge' onto my account just the amount paid in. Please advise if you can.. Thank you
You would need to know the routing of the transfer - an intermediary bank may have applied the charge. Had this happen when a transfer from HiFx to Westpac was routed through Barclays and NAB (NAB applied the charge) to Westpac
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps, we did a large transfer the other way from CBA to RBS last year. We transferred $x but the bank statement showed £x + $30 as being debited/withdrawn. CBA therefore charged $30 for the transfer and it was visible on our statement.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:10 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
If it helps, we did a large transfer the other way from CBA to RBS last year. We transferred $x but the bank statement showed £x + $30 as being debited/withdrawn. CBA therefore charged $30 for the transfer and it was visible on our statement.

There's a long thread on here about these charges. It seems completely normal behaviour to apparently charge a fee to receive funds from an overseas transaction. HSBC charge $10.

S
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:19 am
Just Joined

jimbo33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all. My concern is the LACK of clarity on Commonwealth Bank's part to declare their fee process.. I will look for the thread and see what it says. This is a poor practice in 2014.. Swerv-o can you direct me to the thread please.. Jim

Last edited by jimbo33; Jun 11th 2014 at 9:28 am.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:18 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I was 'warned' about this when doing a Money Transfer from Halifax in UK to CBA here. So I went via Oztransfers and it was seemless and cost effective and I chose the rate myself...not arbitrarily of course!!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

moo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone had dealing with these peeps? World First
Someone recommended them to me for transferring funds from my UK bank account to a Aussie one.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moo1982
Anyone had dealing with these peeps? World First
Someone recommended them to me for transferring funds from my UK bank account to a Aussie one.
Not seen them recommended before - most people seem to have used Ukforex / Ozforex / tranzfers
Old Jun 20th 2014, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

moo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not seen them recommended before - most people seem to have used Ukforex / Ozforex / tranzfers
Ok

They do seem a reptuable company. They seem to have all the correct registration and approvals to be a money transfer business.
Just my worry is I make a transfer and suddently the money disappears into thin air.