Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interesting Question...Please Answer

Wikiposts

Interesting Question...Please Answer

Old Mar 27th 2004, 7:28 pm
Badge

Originally posted by bondipom
Badge your point about the moving back to UK forum is good. 20 mins spent in there is probably worth more than 20 hours in the enthusiasm on here.
thanks BP.

The obesity point is important. Australians are just as fat as the Brits. For those inclined to exercise and sports this place is good but for the rest I am not so certain that your family will become fitter and healthier.
Indeed. There are fat people everywhere - but if a small country like Australia can compete at Olympic level then they must be doing something right somewhere. ;-) So I think we have found a new 'law' :
Australia is easy for the sports fans to keep their interest, but may not make you fitter if you aren't already that way inclined.

This is an important 'law' as it is all too easy to look at fat people in Australia and say 'call this a sporting country?".

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Mar 27th 2004 at 7:31 pm.

Old Mar 27th 2004, 7:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Badge have you ever been to the AIS? Well worth it and an insight into what is required to be a world class athlete. The problem is that it has no relevance to getting ordinary people fit and healthy.

One way of looking at it is the difference in physique from the Bondi Beach type to the stereotype Parramatta westie. It is like a fitness apartheid. If you go down the beach early in the morning (as I believe you used to) the place is a hive of exercise activity.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Badge,

Having lived in Oz for 12 years, let me put my balanced view to counterbalance your balanced view!

BTW, you can't seriously compare Melbourne with London. Melbourne has half the population and 10% of the attractions. London with New York, Paris etc is one of the world's great cities. Sydney's a closer comparison, at least it's Oz's biggest city. On to your comments...

Originally posted by badgersmount
I lived in Straya for a year, but knew within a week I wanted to live there, and the rest of the year just confirmed it.
I also thought it was great when I first arrived - for the next few years.

For you guys who have never been, you have a head start already. You are reading this forum! Have a scan on the Moving back to the UK forum and tou will discover the negative things about this island of ours. Many of the dislikes come down to biggies like:

i) perceved racism
ii) perceived sexism
Oh come off it, Oz is way more racist and sexist than the UK. I read/heard somebody make the comment that Oz is about one generation behind in terms of racial tolerance.

iv) YOUR marketibility and value in the Australian job market
(There are many people who come from high income admin jobs in the UK who have earned these high salaries from many years of increments in long service and have been irreplacible, who suddenly find themselves on 'only' 20-30K here.)
Who are you talking about? The general view is that Oz provides fewer opportunities for professionals. So, for the jobs that exist, the competition is greater and the pay is lower. It's a function of Oz's relatively small population and its 'branch economy' status for multinationals. After all, why do so many Aussies and Kiwis go to UK, Europe and USA to earn money and develop their careers?
v) Isolationism. Some believe Australia is backward due to its isolationism.
Maybe. I think it's more parochial because it is isolated.

(I think its a wonder Australia does as well as it does! The RTA is cool, signature free EFTPOS is cool, more shops, less people in them ;-) )
Yes, uncrowded shops are good. But, the 'price' is relative lack of choice.

There are a few things that come to light after the honeymoon period which you should consider:

i) homesickness
ii) real cost of living (although many migrants use the initial purchasing power of their pounds to fund and counter this. ie lower mortgage, no mortgage, in a home 2-3 times the size).

Fuel, eating out, taking out the kids, (or yourselves) and houses are cheaper. If they more, then they are inner city locations and are as expensive as SW London, Putney, Clapham yet bigger etc Sure, there may be less to do comparing Melbourne to London, but by the times your kids notice they will be on the playstations etc!
The house comment is an important one. House affordability in Oz is much lower than it used to be. The Sydney house I bought went up 3x - but my salary has 'only' doubled in the same period. Of course, you can buy a big house in a cheap area- but, associated with that is usually the relative lack of jobs or long commute - that's why the houses are cheap! In that sense, Oz is becoming increasingly like UK.

Arguably these things are important in quality of life so it may stack well for you.

Groceries, cars, electrical equipment will probably cost more.
The upside of this is that cheap kids and adult clothes from Target, Kmart and Best for Less are great.
This is not specific to Oz. Most of these clothes are made in China and available all over the world. Perhaps the Oz plus point here is that Oz dress is informal.
Just buy a few nice things from RM Williams up in the city etc for 'best'.

(For me personally, my income means that all the things that are more expensive in Australia are now the same as the UK).

iv) Australian education.

At early stages, say 5-13, it seems to focus on the all rounder. Many people compare and find their kids are ahead coming from the UK, but then Australian kids tend to have better social skills - I find this very evident myself. By year 10 all kids everywhere will have learnt the important stuff, and it all seems to equal out in the end, otherwise Aussies would not be able to come to Europe and take many high end jobs.

Take a kid out of the Strayan system and put them in to the UK system may cause problems - for a while. However the home environment is just as important.
Agree the education systems are on a par. Aussies are generally more extrovert than Poms, but that doesn't necessarily equate to better social skills.

v) TV is poor. More adverts, many are bad. The upside is that there is plenty of sport, and the adverts are at least funny.

vi) Lack of cheap flights to Europe. True. However there are cheapish flights to Adelaide (Barossa Valley), tropical QLD - ie. Caribbean quality beaches (better than sunny Spain anyday!) , Sydney and Melbourne for cafe culture and museums. People speak English too. No personal comments either way.
Agree.

vi) Australia's 'self confidence' as shown in male social gatherings, sport(!), in the country's image etc may grate after a year. However, the other side of this, is if you are 'self confident' yourself and can 'compete', then it will just reflect the sort of country you want to live in :-)
No question - Aussies are confident at sports. Unless they lose. The rest? They are pretty insecure - wanting immigrants to say 'Oz is wonderful', can't take criticism, etc. If they were self-confident they could take it.
Personally, I love this, as I am quite sporty and so feel at home amongst all the barracking, in the UK I was always having to play down my sports, 'why do you want to be fit for?', here it is 'good on ya' (regardless of how uninterested, or how much people do themselves :-) On the other side, if you have low self esteem, are sensitive, then you may find this 'confidence' hard to keep up with. If you are an allrounder then you will be fine.
In UK, people generally don't care that much about sport (yes, I know there are the addicted football supporters). Mainly, because it's not seen as important in the great scheme of things.
It must be said, Australia has its fair share of 'fatties', just like anywhere in the Western world. If you believe yourself to live in an area where there are a fair amount of 'fatties', then people on this forum have suggested that it is due to lots of fast food, and warm weather makes people do less.

There are also a few minor things that only you people can decide whether or not will effect you, and going by people's experiences on this forum, it CAN:

i) less range in the supermarkets
(people say they have more fresh ingredients, after 15 months I still haven't noticed!)
Less 'treats'.
Less ready meals.
(No comments on all these. I'll leave these up to you).

ii) Availability of 6 and 8 cylinder cars may annoy you as it creates a car culture. My opinion: bugger(!).

Badge
Only annoying from the gas-guzzling, environment-damaging perspectives. I like the noise of a V8!

Last edited by MikeStanton; Mar 27th 2004 at 8:46 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 9:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Badge,

Having lived in Oz for 12 years, let me put my balanced view to counterbalance your balanced view!

BTW, you can't seriously compare Melbourne with London. Melbourne has half the population and 10% of the attractions. London with New York, Paris etc is one of the world's great cities. Sydney's a closer comparison, at least it's Oz's biggest city. On to your comments...
They can be compared in the extent to that they are very different places.
Oh come off it, Oz is way more racist and sexist than the UK. I read/heard somebody make the comment that Oz is about one generation behind in terms of racial tolerance.
In general maybe a bit more racist than the poms. I find the type you are on about are the loudest and more conspicuous so the comparison is hard. To be balanced one could hardly say the UK is a bastion of tolerance.
Who are you taliking about? The general comment is that Oz provides fewer opportunities for professionals. So, for the jobs that exist, the competition is greater and the pay is lower. It's a function of Oz's relatively small population and its 'branch economy' status for multinationals. After all, why do so many Aussies and Kiwis go to UK, Europe and USA to earn money and develop their careers?
Your favourite topic. It does depend on the career.
Maybe. I think it's more parochial because it is isolated.
I started a thread on Aussie parochialism. In soon got into Mancs vs Scousers, Brummies sound stupid, the welsh shag sheep and the scots and tight bastards.
Partly due to a smaller market and partly due to a diminishing protectionism. Personally I hate shopping but the Mrs says shopping here is not as good as Europe.
The house comment is an important one. House affordability in Oz is much lower than it used to be. The Sydney house I bought went up 3x - but my salary has 'only' doubled in the same period. Of course, you can buy a big house in a cheap area- but, associated with that is usually the relative lack of jobs or long commute - that's why the houses are cheap! In that sense, Oz is becoming increasingly like UK.
We need hard figures to support this one
This is not specific to Oz. Most of these clothes are made in China and available all over the world. Perhaps the Oz plus point here is that Oz dress is informal.
If you want to pay you can get the good stuff. It is the mid range stuff that is lacking.
Agree the education systems are on a par. Aussies are generally more extrovert than Poms, but that doesn't necessarily equate to better social skills.
So why are these the Aussie professonials doing so well around the world.
No question - Aussies are confident at sports. Unless they lose. The rest? They are pretty insecure - wanting immigrants to say 'Oz is wonderful', can't take criticism, etc. If they were self-confident they could take it.
Maybe in general but the sporting success appears to be curing the affliction that the English are not innocent of. With the umpteenth ashes victory the Aussies could not give a toss. The reaction of some English people winning the rugby world cup was embarassing.
In UK, people generally don't care that much about sport (yes, I know they are the addicted football supporters). Mainly, because it's not seen as important in the great scheme of things.
But they can go on about 66 and now RWC 2003.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

This has turned into a really interesting thread; us wanabees who haven't been before really benefit from reading the positives and negatives.
Blim got into an interesting conversation with his optician, who lived in Perth for a few years. Seems like he enjoyed it, but returned because he had problems with the missus?
Anyway, he emphasised that it's really important to settle in an area with a strong sense of community, and not just a huge house on a faceless estate. I had already thought of this, because I grew up with high privett hedges etc. and prefer living somewhere friendlier. I'd hate to end up in a beautiful house, but cut off from social activities etc.
What do you think of this? I get the impression you need to be more careful in Perth because they have more of the new estates.
Also, what tips have you got for us to make the most out of Aus?
Ta!
Old Mar 27th 2004, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Your favourite topic. It does depend on the career.
Jobs relating to (eg) house construction were plentiful over the past few years. But, professional jobs are significantly scarcer. For those returning to UK, this scarcity - along with limited career development - is often cited as a factor. Which makes you wonder why DIMIA is so hot on professional, managerial qualifications...

I started a thread on Aussie parochialism. In soon got into Mancs vs Scousers, Brummies sound stupid, the welsh shag sheep and the scots and tight bastards.
You mean it's not true?

We need hard figures to support this one
Do you mean Oz housing affordability? Try these for starters:

Houses less affordable than ever

On average, in Dec 2003 houses ~24% less affordable than in Dec 2002:
Record Low Housing Affordability In December Quarter

So why are these the Aussie professonials doing so well around the world.
Some are, some are not. As you would say, 'we need hard figures to support this one'. As a general aside, immigrants tend to work harder than the locals - I'm sure that is as true of Aussies/Kiwis in UK as Poms in Oz/NZ.

Maybe in general but the sporting success appears to be curing the affliction that the English are not innocent of. With the umpteenth ashes victory the Aussies could not give a toss. The reaction of some English people winning the rugby world cup was embarassing.
And the reaction of the Oz media was like that of a spoilt child.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Mar 27th 2004 at 10:04 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 10:13 pm
Badge

thank you ;-)

Indeed, but Sydney and Melbourne have a valued added that no other Euro city can offer. I love both. London and Paris may offer more in real terms, but Aussie cities are small and friendly. I love the fact that there are 3-4 State capitals all inside 2 hrs flight of each other. London is bigger than all of them. But they are much bigger than Manchester, B'Ham, Leeds, N'Ham, Glasgow, indeed any other UK city. See what I mean, take away London and you're not left with much, seriously....bloody hell never thought that before. Go to Leeds, B'Ham, Mac, what do you get, just a different night scene, go to Sydney- public beaches, go to Adelaide, wine valley, Brissy - 1 hr away the Sunshine Coast.

Oh come off it, Oz is way sexist than the UK.
I'm not so sure Mike. I notice a kind of intellectual -ism in the UK. Blokes are less overtly sexist but their actions often speak louder than their voices. Also you don't know what blokes are THINKING. Aussie blokes get it out in the open, and a lot of women, both Aussie and UK prefer their honesty, old fashioned 'being looked after' and the fact that they are at least nice and laid back with it. ie. sexist (joking manner) and laid back vs pretend intellectual who is all mouth and no trousers who is scared of upsetting women - in fact anyone. I've been to dinner parties in the UK and ended up being the only bloke who has a sense of humour, all the other blokes are seeing all can wear the coolest jumpers and grow the coolest beards, and have the biggest MP3 collection AND be cool all at the same time, and they wonder why I get the girls ;-) I've tried explaining it to them...but they don't get it. :-(

Who are you talking about? The general view is that Oz provides fewer opportunities for professionals. So, for the jobs that exist, the competition is greater and the pay is lower. It's a function of Oz's relatively small population and its 'branch economy' status for multinationals. After all, why do so many Aussies and Kiwis go to UK, Europe and USA to earn money and develop their careers?
True to an extent. I've done OK! Why do Kiwis /Aussies go overseas. Because they can. :-) I don't blame them. Many come back.

Indeed. But there is enough. People who say otherwise seem to want more than they really need.

YOu are lucky that your salary has doubled. Mine went up 1k a year from 1998 to 2004.

But they can, I think this whole thing is overated myself. Do Aussies really look out the window every morning and think 'bugger l'm so insecure - lets find a Pom and let rip'. No, in the main they are a happy nation, and like people from the old country enough to have a gentle banter. It doesn't help that eveyone first visiting their country LOVES it, and when they they themselves go to Europe. they find that their 'easy going' reputation has preceded them. When I came back to the UK, and people asked me where I had been, and I said Aussie, everyone is always so 'wow'. There is a reason for that, and its not just neighbours.

In UK, people generally don't care that much about sport (yes, I know there are the addicted football supporters). Mainly, because it's not seen as important in the great scheme of things.
Actually, I think sport is EVERYTHING. In an age of consumer ease, lack of danger or pursuit, its the one thing left where humans can live outside the box and thus achieve self worth, self education, awareness of team spirit, push themselves in testing environments- when you are knackered you make mistakes. The top jobs always go to the best educated from the best unis, who also prove themselves to be a success outside acedemia. eg a first from Oxford who captained the rugby team will get the job over a first from Oxford who lists his hobbies as trainspotting.

Old Mar 27th 2004, 11:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

what tips have you got for us to make the most out of Aus?
Hmm, good one Larissa. Come with an open mind, expect it to be different, and expect to feel - if not actually homesick - then familiarity-sick for the stuff you miss from the UK.
Try and get out as much as you can and join in with as many things as you can, and let the Aussies know that you want to be here, and you're enjoying it. They don't like Poms who whinge about Oz, just like we don't like people coming to the UK and whinging about life there.
I think you've got the right attitude - you'll be fine!