Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interesting Hume Hwy Diversions (NSW)

Interesting Hume Hwy Diversions (NSW)

Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Interesting Hume Hwy Diversions (NSW)

Hi

We're planning a drive to Sydney from Melbourne up the Hume Highway to visit friends there. We plan to take a couple of days to get there, and already know our diversions in northern Victoria (Rutherglen, Benalla, Milawa). Can anyone recommend a nice mid-journey distraction in southern NSW near or on the Hume Highway?

Neil
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting Hume Hwy Diversions (NSW)

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Hi

We're planning a drive to Sydney from Melbourne up the Hume Highway to visit friends there. We plan to take a couple of days to get there, and already know our diversions in northern Victoria (Rutherglen, Benalla, Milawa). Can anyone recommend a nice mid-journey distraction in southern NSW near or on the Hume Highway?

Neil
It's not the most exciting route to Sydney. There's not that much to see until you get near Canberra which is not that far off the highway.

Also checkout Berrima (interesting, old colonial village) and Bowral.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:42 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Hi

Neil

When are you going? I am planning on doing the same during late November. Got a girlfriend visiting from the UK and she wants to go to Sydney. As I don't pay any money for fuel it will be cheaper than flying! I thought that I would do the Hume Hwy in one hit and then come back on the coast road and stop overnight.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

You can always come and see us in Wangaratta (much more interesting than Benalla )depending on when you are travelling the Jazz festival may be on.
When I drive up to Canberra we always stop at Holbrook to look at the submarine, but I haven't been any further along than the Canberra turn off so can't help beyond there.
Have fun.
Nicky

ps Wodonga / Albury is a bit of a nightmare at the moment with the road works, but they have a paddle steamer there apparently.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm biassed but Bowral/Berrima is a relatively civilised area with a smalltown feel (mainly because they *are* small towns!). You've just missed the Bowral Tulip festival tho'.

The Berrima Guest House is a very friendly small hotel run by a great couple: eight rooms and a nice breakfast - well worth a stop.