Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interesting article - a 'Pom' expert's view of Sydney!

Interesting article - a 'Pom' expert's view of Sydney!

Old Jan 26th 2007, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting article - a 'Pom' expert's view of Sydney!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...788693816.html

OzTennis
Old Jan 26th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice
Default Re: Interesting article - a 'Pom' expert's view of Sydney!

Originally Posted by OzTennis

The author in mention was on BBC Radio 2, Jeremy Vine, this week plugging his book.
1st impressions were he swallowed a dictionary and talked crap, but then he did seem to have some valid points
Old Jan 26th 2007, 4:08 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like I made a good choice in going to Melbourne.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 5:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Interesting article - a 'Pom' expert's view of Sydney!

A depressing read; sounds like middle-class Sydney has lost her soul (though we must remember that he's talking about well-heeled yuppies here, not the average Sydney punter).

On the flip side, it certainly raises some interesting questions about the negative stereotypes that keep appearing on this forum...

Instead, he found a city in thrall to American values and a puritan work ethic that robbed life of joy and meaning. Middle-class Sydney, he writes, is "packed with career-obsessed workaholics". When they are not working the longest hours in the developed world
I thought all Australians were lazy skivers who take regular sickies?

they pursue perfect bodies through joyless fitness regimes
I thought all Australians were hopeless couch potatoes who suffer from chronic obesity?

or obsess about property prices. Always, they are looking around anxiously, in the hope that others aren't doing better than them.
I thought all Australians were so wrapped up in the "She'll be right" mentality that they never strive to excel, and can't be bothered to improve themselves?

"(It was) full of people who place a high value on money, professional status and appearance," he said.
I thought all Australians were scruffy slobs with no fashion sense, who never wear anything more formal than T-shirts, shorts and thongs?

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 26th 2007 at 5:38 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:02 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of utter bollocks... Of course it would be cynical of me to suggest that writing about just how good a place this is to live wouldn't do much for his book sales...
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:17 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on book from a tiny excerpt, but he does seem to have put his finger on some things about Sydney.

Having started off wanting to live near there we were totally disillusioned for many of the same reasons - and a lot more - and now, whenever we have to go into the place for any reason thank God when we drive past Campbelltown on the way home! And we are surrounded by folk who have moved away from Sydney, all for similar reasons.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
A depressing read; sounds like middle-class Sydney has lost her soul (though we must remember that he's talking about well-heeled yuppies here, not the average Sydney punter).

On the flip side, it certainly raises some interesting questions about the negative stereotypes that keep appearing on this forum...

I thought all Australians were hopeless couch potatoes who suffer from chronic obesity?

I thought all Australians were so wrapped up in the "She'll be right" mentality that they never strive to excel, and can't be bothered to improve themselves?

I thought all Australians were scruffy slobs with no fashion sense, who never wear anything more formal than T-shirts, shorts and thongs?
I think you said it yourself....

"though we must remember that he's talking about well-heeled yuppies here, not the average Sydney punter"

...all your other comments DO apply to the average Sydney punter.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty much sums up exactly how I felt about Sydney-siders after spending 6 months there working. Even in the US I was hard pushd to find shallower people!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:26 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Not for nothing is the Northern Beaches area known as the Insular Peninsula...

........... apologies to any BE members up there
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:48 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Not for nothing is the Northern Beaches area known as the Insular Peninsula...

........... apologies to any BE members up there
That's me...!

And to be honest in this particular part of town that can be fairly accurate...
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Time for one of my favourite quotes.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."
-- Anais Nin

With something as complex as a large city, it's easy for people to see what they want to see.

Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:15 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

All very true! Sydney has been getting worse since large amounts of "cashed-up" english immigrants have moved in. They have changed the feel of the place, for some reason the Sydney-siders feel they need to compete.

Who really cares what some "so called expert" from pommy land thinks of us though. It doesn't take a psychology degree to point out the problems we have here.

What I find sadder though is Melbourne's obsession with Sydney. You will always find articles dissing Sydney in their paper.

Last edited by MD09; Jan 26th 2007 at 10:18 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
All very true! Sydney has been getting worse since large amounts of "cashed-up" english immigrants have moved in. They have changed the feel of the place, for some reason the Sydney-siders feel they need to compete.
Considering that the average number of British immigrants each year to NSW varies between 2,500-4,500 and the total population of Sydney is over 4 million, I hardly think that they make much of a dent in the City's psyche!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:04 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC
Considering that the average number of British immigrants each year to NSW varies between 2,500-4,500 and the total population of Sydney is over 4 million, I hardly think that they make much of a dent in the City's psyche!
It does when many of them move to the same 3 areas- northern beaches, Bondi and Lower north shore.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:12 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>> Time for one of my favourite quotes.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."
-- Anais Nin

With something as complex as a large city, it's easy for people to see what they want to see.<<

Snappy quote-lines are often correct but just as often are... just snappy quote-lines!

I spent several years in the UK telling anyone who would listen that we were going to Sydney and how wonderful it was, so I certainly didn't move there with an "anti" attitude. It didn't take long though for the Sydney "culture" to get to me and make me realise that it was NOT where I wanted to live, despite the undoubted attractions of the harbour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.