Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Old May 27th 2010, 7:36 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Interest Rates, where will they stop?

18th May 2010

Until now there's been a feeling the Reserve Bank would raise rates several times again this year.

Economists are revising their predictions and many are now tipping the RBA Board may even cut rates next month.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopS...op_459639.html

Old May 27th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
18th May 2010

Until now there's been a feeling the Reserve Bank would raise rates several times again this year.

Economists are revising their predictions and many are now tipping the RBA Board may even cut rates next month.

And why would they do that I wonder, not to support the housing market I suspect!
Old May 27th 2010, 10:03 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
18th May 2010

that article is dated - Saturday, May 08, 2010 (and not the 18th as you suggest )

whereas , Higher interest rates ahead is from today.
Old May 27th 2010, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Four to five rate increases!!!--every home owner/mortgagee will be bankrupt.Surely not?.The carry trade will love it if it does go up 120 base points.
Old May 27th 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

BOOM BANG there goes the bubble
Old May 27th 2010, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilf70
Four to five rate increases!!!--every home owner/mortgagee will be bankrupt.Surely not?.The carry trade will love it if it does go up 120 base points.
hardly....been a lot higher than that.
Old May 27th 2010, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
hardly....been a lot higher than that.
True, but not for some time and meanwhile a great many borrowers based their budgets on much lower repayments & maxed themselves out at that level, hence the higher levels of mortgage distress which inevitably lead to selling pressure and debt default. Neither are positive for house prices going forward.
Old May 27th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
True, but not for some time and meanwhile a great many borrowers based their budgets on much lower repayments & maxed themselves out at that level, hence the higher levels of mortgage distress which inevitably lead to selling pressure and debt default. Neither are positive for house prices going forward.
Genious house bubble to burst but my 11 year old could tell me that.
Old May 27th 2010, 11:14 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wilf70
Four to five is only 1% - 1.25%, not exactly a massive jump. It only looks bad because of the number of home loans maxed out when rates were at their lowest (of course, even Rudd suggested that people sort sold financial advice and plan ahead when taking out such loans, so no need to worry ).
Old May 28th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eugene43
Genious house bubble to burst but my 11 year old could tell me that.

So you, I and your 11 year old agree, this is why when we sold in the UK we're choosing not to buy again for now, tell me when it'll happen, now that would be genoius, you can confir.

Last edited by freebo; May 28th 2010 at 2:41 am.
Old May 28th 2010, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

So you, I and your 11 year old agree, this is why when we sold in the UK we're choosing not to buy again for now, tell me when it'll happen, now that would be genoius, you can confir.
18 months time just in time for my arrival.
Old May 28th 2010, 6:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
that article is dated - Saturday, May 08, 2010 (and not the 18th as you suggest )

whereas , Higher interest rates ahead is from today.
And also today:

All 17 economists polled this week by AAP say the Reserve Bank of Australia will leave the overnight cash rate of 4.5 per cent unchanged at its June board meeting next Tuesday.

The 17 economists predict the cash rate will rise to between 4.75 and 5.25 per cent by the end of the year.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busi...0528-wijk.html
Current Cash rate is 4.5%, so the experts who were asked, think an increase of between 5.6% and 16.7% in rates is to be expected.

I wonder if the downward rate expert was asked again ?

Old May 28th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eugene43
18 months time just in time for my arrival.
If you're right you will indeed be a genious, or more likely just lucky, if not you're just guessing like the rest of us.

My guess is sooner than that.

Mind you if your bringing £'s over the bigger risk than house prices is the exchange rate.

EDIT: On a similar veign, I also expect UK interest rates to be substantially higher and house prices to be substantially lower in 18 months time, IMHO as the dual effects of Austerity and Inflation are experienced.

Last edited by freebo; May 28th 2010 at 9:23 am.
Old May 28th 2010, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah sure, but it really is not that large to justify:

"every home owner/mortgagee will be bankrupt.Surely not?"

though I realise you were probably just taking poetic license for effect...have you been watching too many politicians lately? we know some people are a bit dim but a lot of people do realise rates can go up....we posters are not the only geniuses in the world

Last edited by fish.01; May 28th 2010 at 11:26 am.
Old May 28th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
Yeah sure, but it really is not that large to justify:

"every home owner/mortgagee will be bankrupt.Surely not?"

though I realise you were probably just taking poetic license for effect...have you been watching too many politicians lately? we know some people are a bit dim but a lot of people do realise rates can go up....we posters are not the only geniuses in the world
The quote "every home owner/mortgagee will be bankrupt.Surely not?" was neither posted by me, nor does it reflect my opinion.

The "genious" bit was a reference to egene's earlier response to my post, which I think he may have agreed with but am not really sure.

Last edited by freebo; May 28th 2010 at 11:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.