Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
A step on the ladder?
Yes - the sizeable deposit for a Australian home. I lived in it for 6 months then rented it out.

I remember feeling a bit miserable in 2000 wondering if I had done the right thing. A local in a pub told me it was a bad move. I bought there as it was close to my SW London base - well a fraction too far away. I could have borrowed a lot more and gone for a slightly swankier area - read - a gritty area, but a more interesting one. The crazy thing is, there were other areas that I did not consider and should have. With hindsight I might have ended up over your neck of the woods perhaps - my wife to be was working in Deptford..
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:14 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Interest rates headed for 10 per cent

"MORTGAGE rates are predicted to hit a horror 10 per cent within the next two years as the Reserve Bank hikes rates to prevent runaway inflation."
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Economists at Macquarie Bank and CBA's Commsec, have forecast that the RBA cash rate will reach 7.25% by 2012. The current rate is 4.25%. So they are estimating another 12 rises of 0.25% each, during the next 20-30 months.

That could mean that the banks standard variable home loan rate could reach 10%, if the current larger than normal margin is retained.
My guess is that the banks would trim their margins back to normal levels if they hit those rates.

The last time it was 7.25% was Mar 2008, with most bank standard variable rates at 9.35%

Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:56 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Looks like there's going to be two quick hikes of 25pts in the next couple of months, taking the standard rate to 4.75.

“The fact that the prospective rise in the terms of trade was now likely to be noticeably stronger than had been expected was a factor suggesting that it might be prudent not to delay adjustment,” the RBA said in the minutes.
PRICE hikes for iron ore and coal that were stronger than expected are encouraging the Reserve Bank of Australia to raise interest rates

The RBA appears concerned that the mining sector is BOOMing too much and they want to bring it in.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:13 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My guess is that the banks would trim their margins back to normal levels if they hit those rates.
I'm not sure this will be possible as more than 50% of bank lending is raised in the global market. This global market is expected to see significant increases to the cost of lending due to new regulation.

I think this is the reason banks here are trying to get more deposits from savers.

Last edited by coolshadows; Apr 20th 2010 at 5:17 am.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:21 am
Pie Eater

I think it's looking more and more likely that the standard rate will head towards 6%, sooner rather than later.

The RBA is now under tremendous pressure to reduce the BOOMing economy before it blows out.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...rom=public_rss

even accountants are on the move...
http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Busi...gh_453436.html

Me thinks - perhaps the stimulus package is doing more damage than good?

Last edited by coolshadows; Apr 21st 2010 at 6:25 am.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:11 am
ABCDiamond

5% ??

The RBA has said it needs to return interest rates to “normal” as conditions in the economy also normalise. RBA Governor Glenn Stevens will speak on the economy this Friday and is expected to maintain an upbeat view on its outlook.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...rom=public_rss
RBA Minutes:
Members noted that lending rates for housing and business were a little below their averages for the period since 1997.

Since lending rates were still a little below average, members expected that they would probably need to rise further in the period ahead.

Reaching a consensus on which level is deemed average or normal has provoked much discussion amongst market analysts, who peg the range somewhere between 4.75 per cent and 5.00 per cent.

The RBA assistant governor said the RBA was in the process of moving its cash rate "back to somewhere around average levels, which is not far away from where we are at the moment".

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225852776087
Mr Stevens highlighted that since the early 1990's, the cash rate average was around 5 per cent.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225846756851

Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:44 am
Pie Eater

5% ??

RBA Minutes:
I'd kinda agree but growth is now expected to go above trend, so I can only assume so will the RBA rate.

I can't imagine 25pt or even a 75pt having much effect.

economic-growth-to-accelerate-above-trend-in-2010
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:04 am
ABCDiamond

I'd kinda agree but growth is now expected to go above trend, so I can only assume so will the RBA rate.

I can't imagine 25pt or even a 75pt having much effect.

economic-growth-to-accelerate-above-trend-in-2010
The scary things is looking back at Mortgage rates:

Historical Interest Rates
Mortgage Interest rates during the terms of the last 4 governments have been:
1972 - 1975 rates went UP from 7% to 10.38% (up 3.38%)
1975 - 1983 rates went UP from 10.38% to 12.5% (up 2.12%)
1983 - 1996 rates went DOWN from 12.5% to 10.5% (down 2.00%)
1996 - 2007 rates went DOWN from 10.5% to 8.55% (down 1.95%)
2007- xxxx rates went xxxx from 8.55% to .... ?
The average mortgage interest rates during those last two government terms were:
11.94% 1983-1996
7.32% 1996-2007

Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you compared the rates over the last 10 years to see what the averages have been to give you an indication of what may happen?

1972 - 1975 rates went UP from 7% to 10.38% (up 3.38%)
1975 - 1983 rates went UP from 10.38% to 12.5% (up 2.12%)
1983 - 1996 rates went DOWN from 12.5% to 10.5% (down 2.00%)
1996 - 2007 rates went DOWN from 10.5% to 8.55% (down 1.95%)

The average mortgage interest rates during the last two government terms were:
11.94% 1983-1996
7.32% 1996-2007

What is todays average mortgage rate ? 6.58%

My guess.... another 1% over the next 2 years... Could be right, could be wrong.
And in the late eighties, early nineties interest rates were up around the 18% mark.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deancm
And in the late eighties, early nineties interest rates were up around the 18% mark.
I had a mortgage back then, taken out in 1991 at about 15%, on a $100k loan. Average wage was $31,200

Monthly repayment $1,280 or 49% of single gross wage, for a 3 bed house.
Same house today is $375,000 at 8% = $2,894 pm or 52% of single wage.

Now that was unexpected ! I'll check the figures later, as even I am a bit surprised.

Old May 3rd 2010, 5:53 am
Pie Eater

The annual rise in house prices was the fastest ever recorded by the Australian Bureau of Statistics
“This is a shocker,” said Rob Henderson, head of Australian economics at National Australia Bank.

“The RBA needs to up their rhetoric and acknowledge that the economy is now growing at above-average rates, requiring above-average interest rates,” Mr Henderson said.
soaring-house-prices-strengthens-case-for-rba-to-lift-interest-rates

This is really starting to look like being a roller-coaster ride.
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:55 pm
ABCDiamond

soaring-house-prices-strengthens-case-for-rba-to-lift-interest-rates

This is really starting to look like being a roller-coaster ride.
And depending where the property is, your position on the roller coaster may be very different...

Darwin has had the largest annualised growth over the last 5 years at 14.2% average per year, with Sydney being the slowest, rising at only 2.21% average per year.

The interesting thing with Sydney being, that prices have risen by only 11.5% in total over the last 5 years, but 21.0% was in the last 12 months.

And in 2005 Brisbane was the 3rd most expensive city, out of 8, but is now down to position 6, with only Adelaide and Hobart being cheaper.

In 2005 Sydney was 30% higher than the next most expensive City, but is now in 2nd place !

Based on ABS 6416.0 – Established House Price Indexes: Eight Capital Cities, Mar 2010

0.25% rise tomorrow ?

Old May 4th 2010, 7:09 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

0.25% rise tomorrow ?
...and indeed, .25% it is ;-)
Old May 4th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough

Would they dare risk0.5 to hammer home the point before the whole edifice collapses in ruins???----just a passing thought.Will probably have to go up that much in the next few months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.