Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:51 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Originally Posted by longreach
Normally I would agree, however, not if you have a mortgage that doesn't have repayments!!

Like I said, it all comes down to having the right products in place. There are products that don't have repayments. Any good broker should be able to do this for you.
They sound like they fall in the 'too good to be true' bracket.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:41 am
ABCDiamond

a mortgage that doesn't have repayments!!

Old Jun 5th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, it all comes down to having the right products in place. There are products that don't have repayments. Any good broker should be able to do this for you.
I take it you mean interest-only mortgages, there's one born every minute...
Old Jun 5th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by freebo
I take it you mean interest-only mortgages, there's one born every minute...
I would never ever go on an interest only mortgage unless it was for an investment property. How would that reduce your mortgage?

Do a search on equity managers or revolving line of credit relating to mortgage reduction

Last edited by longreach; Jun 5th 2010 at 9:04 am.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I would never ever go on an interest only mortgage unless it was for an investment property. How would that reduce your mortgage?

Do a search on equity managers or revolving line of credit relating to mortgage reduction
I can do a search but you're the one peddling it.

So you have spruiked my interest (no pun intended) , I'll ask "what kind of mortgage involves no repayments?", no need to be too basic; I am reasonably financially aware...
Old Jun 5th 2010, 9:54 am
Account Closed

So you have spruiked my interest (no pun intended) , I'll ask "what kind of mortgage involves no repayments?", no need to be too basic; I am reasonably financially aware...
http://www.financiallyfree.com.au/home_loans.htm#HOME EQUITY LOAN/LINE OF CREDIT

I would say that they are dodgy in the extreme for 90%+ of people
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
http://www.financiallyfree.com.au/home_loans.htm#HOME EQUITY LOAN/LINE OF CREDIT

I would say that they are dodgy in the extreme for 90%+ of people
Why?

Not that I would take that link as gospel, but where does it give the opinion that they are dodgy in the extreme for 90%+ of people?

It has worked 100% for everyone I have used this with including my own. Fair enough if it's not for you but don't assume that everyone is the same as you and wants a 30 year home loan!
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

A revolving line of credit is similar to the old 'One Account' we had in the UK.

You have 1 account... think of it as an overdraft. This is secured on your house. Income is deposited into this account and interest is then debited which is calculated on your daily balance. Because all of your income is used to reduce your capital balance on day 1 of the month, the monthly interest charge is significantly reduced. You should also use it in conjunction with a 55 day interest free credit card which 'auto sweeps'. This maximises the amount of time your income is being used effectively. I would also recommend that your credit limit reduces in line with a normal mortgage term for protection.

The average time frame to pay off your loan, depending on individual circumstances, should be 7-10 years if set up correctly. And it works without you paying anything extra - it just uses your existing income more effectively.

I have used it personally and I only recommend what works from personal experience.

And if it makes you feel any better, I'm a qualified accountant also

I hope that helps - I know it's different to what people are used to but that's only because most of the banks don't want you to go on them. Think of the shareholders!!

There are reasons why 90% of the worlds wealth is held by 10% of the population - they do things different to the masses

Last edited by longreach; Jun 5th 2010 at 10:34 am. Reason: One thing I am rubbish at is spelling...lol
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

A revolving line of credit is similar to the old 'One Account' we had in the UK.
So you're just talking about an offset mortgage, nothing new or revolutionary. Although unless your net balance is positive I'm pretty sure repayments are required.

Of course, if one has a higher amount on deposit than is required for the mortgage it can be a useful way of running a large line of credit at preferential rates. But again that's been well known for many years.

There are reasons why 90% of the worlds wealth is held by 10% of the population - they do things different to the masses
Very true, for a start they don't have residential mortgages, even offset ones.

Last edited by freebo; Jun 5th 2010 at 10:54 am.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

So you're just talking about an offset mortgage, nothing revolutionary.
1. No. It's similar to an offset but more effective as I explained. An offset still requires a traditional mortgage account.
2. I never said it was revolutionary, which it isn't - I only said it works!
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:58 am
Account Closed

1. No. It's similar to an offset but more effective as I explained. An offset still requires a traditional mortgage account.
Everything I have read about them says that that are totally reliant on you keeping control of your finances to an extreme degree.. something that the bulk of people don't manage to do.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

1) In what way is it more effective? Because it involves balance sweeping? My bank's been doing that for me since 1995 (Barclays Premier Banking).

2) In what way does it "work", i.e. any better way than a well structured financial plan, coupled with an off-the-shelf, no-commission-to-you financial plan?

And, while we're on.

3) If it is so different, which financial organisations offer it, and under what conditions?

BTW, the reason I'm grilling you is you appear to be touting for business on a public forum and I'm trying to figure out if you have anything to offer for the free advertising you appear to be trying to obtain.

Last edited by freebo; Jun 5th 2010 at 11:08 am.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

I've been a member on here for over 5 years. I'm not touting for business - I honestly couldn't care less whether you took my advice or not and with whom if you did. I get enough referrals from my existing base because I do the right thing by them. I'm only trying to offer suggestions to those worrying about rising interest rates. It's a sad day indeed when you cant even give away advice based on ones knowledge and experience.

As for your questions:

1. I never once said that its new or revolutionary... although it's relatively new for Australia and last time I checked Barclays was in the UK. One of the reasons is balance sweeping together with the ones I gave in my previous post. It's having them all together that makes it so effective.

2. You would have to provide me an example of a structured plan for me to compare but in summary, a well structured financial plan should have effective tools for reducing non tax decuctable debt as quick as possible as part of it, in my opinion.

3. There are a few banks. Generally they require a maximum LVR of 80%. Otherwise the usual qualification criteria apply as for any home loan. While I don't work for a bank, I'm not going to actively market one over another on a public forum without detailed knowledge of ones circumstances. I've given enough information to research yourself should you wish.

1) In what way is it more effective? Because it involves balance sweeping? My bank's been doing that for me since 1995 (Barclays Premier Banking).

2) In what way does it "work", i.e. any better way than a well structured financial plan?

And, while we're on.

3) If it is so different, which financial organisations offer it, and under what conditions?

BTW, the reason I'm grilling you is you appear to be touting for business on a public forum and I'm trying to figure out if you have anything to offer for the free advertising you appear to be trying to obtain.

Last edited by longreach; Jun 5th 2010 at 11:24 am.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure you're a reputable person, but when I read "a mortgage which requires no repayments" alarm bells went off, something which I haven't yet seen substantiated.

I have no requirement for a mortgage but if I could acquire one with no repayments I'd get one immediately, and invest the money (but not in Australian housing).
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Everything I have read about them says that that are totally reliant on you keeping control of your finances to an extreme degree.. something that the bulk of people don't manage to do.
Under control - Yes. Extreme - no.

Financial planning is something everyone should do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.