Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You mean this bit....

""At the moment I'm still of the view that once rates stabilise, lending will pick up and we will continue to see modest house price growth."
Which reminds me of...

“Housing markets are cooling a bit. Our expectation is that the decline in activity or the slowing in activity will be moderate, that house prices will probably continue to rise.”

2/15/06 – Ben Bernanke - Hearing before the Committee on Financial Services

Sorry but this is getting spooky...
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away

Just need the exchange rate to vastly improve in favour of the £.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Interest Rates, where will they stop?

its up four cents today;dollar weakenning across the board
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilf70
its up four cents today;dollar weakenning across the board
No co-incidence that AUDJPY is weak and equities are falling across the board, i.e. today is "risk off" thus far at least, thats always bad for AUD.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Given that Japan has published some excellent manufacturing figures recently this suggests that the markets are extremely nervous--given that the yen rate is a good bellweather figure.Something dramatic is in the offing.Any comments anyone???
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wilf70
Given that Japan has published some excellent manufacturing figures recently this suggests that the markets are extremely nervous--given that the yen rate is a good bellweather figure.Something dramatic is in the offing.Any comments anyone???
Its not directly related to the Japanese economic indicators, its all about this...

The Carry Trade
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:52 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

just hoping someone can help, what qualifications do I need to become an armchair expert in interest rates, equities, etc?
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:58 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by asprilla
just hoping someone can help, what qualifications do I need to become an armchair expert in interest rates, equities, etc?
a computer with an internet connection
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:24 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
excellent ! I'm sorted then.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla
None at all, just an interest in the subject and a desire to preserve your wealth, BTW I don't claim to be an expert, just an interested novice, hence the sig

And tbf this thread is about opionions on the future direction of interest rates.

Last edited by freebo; Jun 2nd 2010 at 12:03 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by comet555
I love it

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:33 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by freebo
None at all, just an interest in the subject and a desire to preserve your wealth, BTW I don't claim to be an expert, just an interested novice, hence the sig

And tbf this thread is about opionions on the future direction of interest rates.
Don't worry I was just on the "wind up".
Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

In my view, interest rates are only the 4th most important factor in determining the cost of a homeloan.

It unfortunate however that the banks have got most of their customers tied over a barrel with their 30 year home loans thinking that the rate is the only thing that matters. That's obviously how they make their money though!

The term of loan is by far more imortant. For example, I can increase the interest rate by 50% and still pay less...

$100,000 @ 2% over 20 years = $40,000 total interest paid
$100,000 @ 3% over 10 years = $30,000 total interest paid.

Instead of looking at rate, people should be looking at what structure they can put in place to reduce the term of loan. That way, rates can pretty much do what they like.

There are a few excellent products on the market that allow you to use your income more effectively in reducing the daily value of your capital balance - thus reducing your interest charge.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 5:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by longreach
In my view, interest rates are only the 4th most important factor in determining the cost of a homeloan.

It unfortunate however that the banks have got most of their customers tied over a barrel with their 30 year home loans thinking that the rate is the only thing that matters. That's obviously how they make their money though!

The term of loan is by far more imortant. For example, I can increase the interest rate by 50% and still pay less...

$100,000 @ 2% over 20 years = $40,000 total interest paid
$100,000 @ 3% over 10 years = $30,000 total interest paid.

Instead of looking at rate, people should be looking at what structure they can put in place to reduce the term of loan. That way, rates can pretty much do what they like.

There are a few excellent products on the market that allow you to use your income more effectively in reducing the daily value of your capital balance - thus reducing your interest charge.
But at 50% Rate increase, and halving the term, you almost double the monthly repayment, eg:
$250,000 @ 6% over 20 years = $179,859 total interest paid, at $1,791pm
$250,000 @ 9% over 10 years = $130,026 total interest paid, but at $3,166 pm
An excellent option if you have the cash-flow to do the shorter term though.
$250,000 @ 6% over 10 years = $83,061 total interest paid, at $2,776pm

Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But at 50% Rate increase, and halving the term, you almost double the monthly repayment, eg:

An excellent option if you have the cash-flow to do the shorter term though.
Normally I would agree, however, not if you have a mortgage that doesn't have repayments!!

Like I said, it all comes down to having the right products in place. There are products that don't have repayments. Any good broker should be able to do this for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.