Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest rates up again!

Interest rates up again!

Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:47 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interest rates up again!

Just in time for Christmas - Gutted
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interest rates up again!

Great news!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Interest rates up again!

If only Australia's economy was like the UK's: ie. thrashing around like a deer with a gaping wound in its jugular!

Then we'd have lower interest rates.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
If only Australia's economy was like the UK's: ie. thrashing around like a deer with a gaping wound in its jugular!

All the money that the UK is printing should cause some inflation and therefore put interest rates up - we have some cash sitting over there and it's earning f**k all!

Here's hoping anyway.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:05 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

When China does a Dubai, it will!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:07 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Interest rates up again!

Originally Posted by swigski
When China does a Dubai, it will!
China won't do a Dubai. The two economies are worlds apart.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

heamish will become famous soon enough

On a slightly similar note Westpac have upped their rate by 45 base points (0.45%) and probably hoped this would be over-shadowed by the overall rate rise headlines.
Personally I think WestPac have done this as they may have a lot of bad debt coming their way from Dubai lending. They have issued a statement saying otherwise but as they had ~100m on loan to Dubai business investors, they now have to recap that from somewhere. This is going to make one hell of a Christmas for most families...
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:17 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep Dubai is much more open.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:19 am

They say they are doing it due to the rising cost of funds which have become increasingly divorced from the base rate.
Originally Posted by heamish
On a slightly similar note Westpac have upped their rate by 45 base points (0.45%) and probably hoped this would be over-shadowed by the overall rate rise headlines.
Personally I think WestPac have done this as they may have a lot of bad debt coming their way from Dubai lending. They have issued a statement saying otherwise but as they had ~100m on loan to Dubai business investors, they now have to recap that from somewhere. This is going to make one hell of a Christmas for most families...
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:20 am

Down the line it will.
Originally Posted by Amazulu
All the money that the UK is printing should cause some inflation and therefore put interest rates up - we have some cash sitting over there and it's earning f**k all!

Here's hoping anyway.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:22 am

Yep the increase in rates is a sign of strength in the economy.

Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Here's hoping anyway.
Great for mortgages though :-D less money for the bank more to the loan. I read about someone who had interest only mortgage on a 1% tracker. So in theory the bank should be paying them but apparently the bank system can't cope with that so they have to pay 1 pence per month in interest.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:38 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Shame on West pac - I hate banks here - they are soo greedy!

I have just had a HUGE Row with the Bank of Queensland as they are just dipping into my money whenever they choose and taking 'charges' from me - although they never seem to pay me my $2 bonus payment each month for keeping my minimum balance - cheeky swines:curse: I told them I will be closing the account and with drawing all my funds from them ggrrrrr

It seems to me that UK is the place to be at the moment - everyone I know is quids in there - new cars and new houses -always going out boozing -the recession seems to be a good thing as far as they are all going - think its just the people with money who suffer cos they lose the interest earned instead of interest charged, I keep asking them what its like and they say "what recession never noticed"............ mind you I left a small amount of money in an ISA over there and it used to get a few pounds interest every month, which I thought I would leave in there for my next holiday, now it gets 1pence a month!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop

It seems to me that UK is the place to be at the moment - everyone I know is quids in there - new cars and new houses -always going out boozing -the recession seems to be a good thing as far as they are all going - think its just the people with money who suffer cos they lose the interest earned instead of interest charged, I keep asking them what its like and they say "what recession never noticed"............ mind you I left a small amount of money in an ISA over there and it used to get a few pounds interest every month, which I thought I would leave in there for my next holiday, now it gets 1pence a month!
Got to say, thats exactly the news I'm getting via my UK net contacts. Lots of happy Londoners for sure.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:03 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Problems caused by investors in Dubai and Government in China. Both caused huge asset bubbles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.