British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Interest Rates increase November 2009 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/interest-rates-increase-november-2009-a-638764/)

ABCDiamond Nov 2nd 2009 2:32 pm

Interest Rates increase November 2009

The Reserve Bank of Australia increased Interest rates by 0.25% on Tuesday 3rd November 2009

The new Base rate is now 3.50%

the troubadour Nov 2nd 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Interest Rates increase November 2009

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8066107)
The Reserve Bank of Australia increased Interest rates by 0.25% on Tuesday 3rd November 2009

The new Base rate is now 3.50%

Great..bring it on.Can we have more please??

Geelong Gent Nov 2nd 2009 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 8066160)
Great..bring it on. Can we have more please??

Looks like the exchange markets were expecting .50% rise. Looks like a steady set of increases to come.

Come on 5% I want to see a certain estate agent cry:sneaky:

ABCDiamond Nov 2nd 2009 4:13 pm

I reckon it will keep rising till it hits 6%.

Looking forward to my interest income getting back to what it was :thumbup:

Wol Nov 2nd 2009 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8066230)

:thumbup:

harrip Nov 2nd 2009 9:01 pm

There are always winers and losers when it comes to interest rates, but I think there will be a few more losers when it comes to the next budget and the commencement of the repayment of the stimulus payments.

quoll Nov 2nd 2009 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8066230)

Aint that the truth! 8% would be nice again.

Stitch Nov 2nd 2009 10:25 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

BadgeIsBack Nov 3rd 2009 12:55 am

Philosophical moment - who should we be looking after...feel the most sorry for..(!)

families who have to find mortgage payments but may have jobs...or retirees who may have homes, but no jobs...

At a stretch, I feel families as they are still acquiring wealth - which will give them some return when they are older!!!

mindblower Nov 3rd 2009 1:02 am

![/QUOTE]

I think thozzies are getting ahead with themselves with this for now.

king kong Nov 3rd 2009 1:10 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8067418)
Philosophical moment - who should we be looking after...feel the most sorry for..(!)

families who have to find mortgage payments but may have jobs...or retirees who may have homes, but no jobs...

At a stretch, I feel families as they are still acquiring wealth - which will give them some return when they are older!!!

it wont take many more rises to see a lot of pain in suburbia , like lambs to the slaughter .People should be looking at a 350000 mortgage at 8.5% average here in aussie if buying their first home .
Whats that 3000 a month or something , lot of dosh after tax every month .

king kong Nov 3rd 2009 1:12 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8067418)

I agree ,but thats in the hands of the banks , they dont have to give huge wodgers of interest to ones that have heaps as long as its above CPI they arent losing .

BadgeIsBack Nov 3rd 2009 1:51 am

Originally Posted by king kong (Post 8067442)
it wont take many more rises to see a lot of pain in suburbia , like lambs to the slaughter .People should be looking at a 350000 mortgage at 8.5% average here in aussie if buying their first home .
Whats that 3000 a month or something , lot of dosh after tax every month .

Indeed. Anything about 6pc BASE ie. 8pc actual would worry me (not personally) and indicate we are returning to higher rates. 3000 would be an entire income for some people.

Look at the 40 year graph and rates have been highish for much of it. (Not just the last recession we 'had to have even though we could have passed on it thanks'.) I don't necessarily agree that the bank always wins...an argument for keeping rates floating - I would rather pay 1pc more than everyone else during low interest rate times than get shafted with 8pc + in high rate times...

nigel and wendy Nov 3rd 2009 2:17 am

perhaps houses may drop to an affordable level :lol:

king kong Nov 3rd 2009 3:11 am

Originally Posted by nigel and wendy (Post 8067585)
perhaps houses may drop to an affordable level :lol:

well that would be nice worldwide . Way overpriced as they are now .I guess its not in the banks or government interests to see them drop too low ,they got taxes and fees to think about .:D