Integration

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

rekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nice
Default Integration

How are the aussies at accepting Brits coming and taking jobs, housing etc. I know for sure us Brits complain to death about immigrants doing just that in the UK,
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Integration

Originally Posted by rekkymech
How are the aussies at accepting Brits coming and taking jobs, housing etc. I know for sure us Brits complain to death about immigrants doing just that in the UK,
My experience has been good. Welcomed with open arms if you can do the job. Never had anything but fun banter in the workplace tbh. I share running a workshop in Brisbane with another Scottish guy and the boss calls us his Scottish terriers Outside work I haven't had a single bit of negativity. People seem genuinely interested, although it does help immensely if you are loving Australia. Any negative comments about Aus are best saved for here.....
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Neither us or our friends from different countries have noticed any difference, there are so many different nationalities now everyone a large percentage of the population have relatives overseas.

I do think though that large numbers of a particular race hogging the parks etc often gets negative comments from the natives. I think its funny really, probably in Britain people hate 20 odd people coming around them etc and yet we do it ourselves here in Australia with out meet ups.

We are no different here to what new migrants to UK are, a lot stick with their own. So we really have to think about it before we are critical of others.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I think that the quicker anyone settles in and stops comparing things to how it is in the UK the better they are accepted. Nothing worse than hearing people say this tastes different or its not like this in England, of course its different we are the other side of the world.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kporte
My experience has been good. Welcomed with open arms if you can do the job. Never had anything but fun banter in the workplace tbh. I share running a workshop in Brisbane with another Scottish guy and the boss calls us his Scottish terriers Outside work I haven't had a single bit of negativity. People seem genuinely interested, although it does help immensely if you are loving Australia. Any negative comments about Aus are best saved for here.....
This sums it up perfectly. At my work no-one cares that I'm from another country and in fact they appreciate having different people from different backgrounds around.

However...I find that aussies do not take well to making any ciricisms about their country and if you say there is something about oz you don't like I find that some may take offence.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:11 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Integration

Originally Posted by rekkymech
We don't. We're too busy complaining about the Kiwis who come over here and don't work.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Are people worried that Australia will become overcowded like the U.K? I think this will cause resentment if numbers of incomers are not controlled.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Are people worried that Australia will become overcowded like the U.K? I think this will cause resentment if numbers of incomers are not controlled.
No because they are.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by big_matt
However...I find that aussies do not take well to making any ciricisms about their country and if you say there is something about oz you don't like I find that some may take offence.
I think this happens in most countries

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 8:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big_matt
Never found that myself. The one's I work with love to complain about their country and seem to believe that the UK is perfect. One actually queries why I would leave the UK to come and live in Aus on a regular basis. She is when I put her straight about the fact that shit happens everywhere and that the UK is no better and definitely no worse than Aus. All true blue Aussies.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 8:42 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
We don't. We're too busy complaining about the Kiwis who come over here and don't work.
Oi you

We are the ones keeping the country going
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 8:46 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Oi you

We are the ones keeping the country going
On whinging, yes