Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance for your Removal - I'm confused?

Insurance for your Removal - I'm confused?

Old May 21st 2008, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

welovebonds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance for your Removal - I'm confused?

We have had 3 quotes in for moving our contents to Melbourne, which all seems straight forward, but the cost of the insurance seems to be high ranging from 2.5% and 3%.

Now have contacted Letton Percival (Marine brokers) and they have quoted us 1.6% - which is good except this only covers us once the container leaves our house until it is delivered at the other end. They cannot cover us while our goods are being packed....the removal companies can't or won't tell me whether their high percentages cover the packing of the goods, or whether as removal companies this is automatically part of the removal package (not the insurance side)?

Does anyone know..
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:41 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance for your Removal - I'm confused?

Originally Posted by welovebonds
We have had 3 quotes in for moving our contents to Melbourne, which all seems straight forward, but the cost of the insurance seems to be high ranging from 2.5% and 3%.

Now have contacted Letton Percival (Marine brokers) and they have quoted us 1.6% - which is good except this only covers us once the container leaves our house until it is delivered at the other end. They cannot cover us while our goods are being packed....the removal companies can't or won't tell me whether their high percentages cover the packing of the goods, or whether as removal companies this is automatically part of the removal package (not the insurance side)?

Does anyone know..
That's a little strange. I had insurance "offers" from both Doree Bonner and Crown Relocations. In both cases the policy documents stated that insurance cover was in place while the goods were being packed. It also included cover to any damage of our house, driveway etc. Have you asked for copies of the insurance policies and read them? (I would never just believe something an estimator tells me.)

We went with Letton Percival in the end. The real risk of damage is once your stuff is in their container or removal lorry. I decided that the risk of damage while being packed was very small and didn't warrant the high premiums the shippers charge.

Gina
Old May 22nd 2008, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

plasterpete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welovebonds

Does anyone know..
We have had 2 companies in at the moment (getting 2 more soon) one explained about insurance quite well, the other not as well. One guy said that their insurance covered you for everything that could happen from the minute the packers walk in the house, so if the slip and damage something you are covered, right upto the end of the delivery until you have signed the inventory to say that everything is ok or that they've made a note if something is damaged.The rate was £3.00%. The other company weren't FSA registered and explained that their insurance was a full cover standard liability cover. Their rate was £2.50%. I much prefer the full cover option but I'll see what the others have to offer. Who are Letton Percival?
Old May 22nd 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

We were in a similar situation trying to find out who insured the packing itself. For us, this seemed the most risky part of the process where things might get broken. Don't forget, applies to unpacking at the other end.

I asked the shippers if they would do insurance for 2% to clich the deal and they did. Saves worry about who is covering what. Like most things, never a problem until something goes wrong !
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

welovebonds is an unknown quantity at this point

Carlap, that's a brilliant idea, I will try that tomorrow and see if either of the removal companies will go down to £2%, have to agree don't want to be worrying about who is covering what.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:52 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasterpete
The other company weren't FSA registered and explained that their insurance was a full cover standard liability cover. Their rate was £2.50%.
Standard liability cover is not insurance! It will only cover you if you can prove that (a) any damage or loss happened while your stuff was in the possession of your removal comapny and (b) they were negligent.

So, if your stuff arrives broken or some stuff is missing you will get nothing, because you won't be able to prove (a) and (b) above (your stuff could have got broken or stolen anywhere on route and not necessarily through negligence by your removal company).

Only companies that are registered with the Financial Services Authority can sell insurance.

The easy way to know whether a removal company is selling your "real" insurance or just pretending (standard/extended liability cover) is to check whether you have to pay an "insurance tax premium" (ITP). If there is no ITP then it's not insurance.

Gina
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

plasterpete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Standard liability cover is not insurance! It will only cover you if you can prove that (a) any damage or loss happened while your stuff was in the possession of your removal comapny and (b) they were negligent.

So, if your stuff arrives broken or some stuff is missing you will get nothing, because you won't be able to prove (a) and (b) above (your stuff could have got broken or stolen anywhere on route and not necessarily through negligence by your removal company).

Only companies that are registered with the Financial Services Authority can sell insurance.

The easy way to know whether a removal company is selling your "real" insurance or just pretending (standard/extended liability cover) is to check whether you have to pay an "insurance tax premium" (ITP). If there is no ITP then it's not insurance.

Gina
Thanks for that Gina. The Standard Liability company rang following up their quote today and I asked them to explain their cover a bit more and they said virtually the same as you mentioned. So I wont be using them!