Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance and Valuation

Insurance and Valuation

Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice
Default Insurance and Valuation

Hi folx,

As there have been queries on insurance I thought I'd give my tuppence worth... I had guesstimated that I would insure my container for around £10,000 however I dutifully went through the PSS valuation form and received a shock!

I'm a 33 yr old single(ish) guy living in a two bedroom house, I've sold some of my "junk" (bedroom furniture etc) that I don't want to take with me however the final value of my possessions came to £30,000 !!!

So how come... Here are a few of the larger figures..

260 CDs - assume £10 each - £2,600
150 DVDs - assume £15 each - £2,250
PC Equipment - £2,500
3 Piece Suite - £1,680
30 pictures (includes some limited signed ones) - £1,650
8 book cases - £600
Dining table & chairs - £750
Sideboard - £300
Dinner Service etc - £400
640 books - assume £8 each - £5,120
Camping Equipment - £400
2 Dysons - £400
TV & DVD & Stereo - £700
Motorbike misc - £500
Powertools - £350
Clothes - £3,440 (suits, djs, shirts, trousers, shoes etc etc)
Motorbike Clothes - £3,000

These figures are realistic estimates of the price to replace. I had never imagined my items would be worth anywhere near that amount. If you are a couple of have a family it could be even higher.

I will actually be doing my insurance through Letton Percival as they charge much less, although it was useful to use the PSS form as the Letton Percival one is not as detailed. I also took photos of the main items just in case!

It just goes to show that your worldly belongings are probably worth more than you expect.. And if you lose the entire container then that is a big loss!

Take the time to accurately catalogue what you have.. It may be a hassle however if you are unlucky enough you'll at least be able to make an accurate claim.

regards

Alex
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:25 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance and Valuation

Hi Alex,

thanks for the info. We'll also be using Letton Percival for the container insurance. Which company did you choose for your one-way travel insurance?

Good luck with the move and settling in process.

Gina
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:40 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex Hall
Hi folx,

As there have been queries on insurance I thought I'd give my tuppence worth... I had guesstimated that I would insure my container for around £10,000 however I dutifully went through the PSS valuation form and received a shock!

I'm a 33 yr old single(ish) guy living in a two bedroom house, I've sold some of my "junk" (bedroom furniture etc) that I don't want to take with me however the final value of my possessions came to £30,000 !!!

So how come... Here are a few of the larger figures..

260 CDs - assume £10 each - £2,600
150 DVDs - assume £15 each - £2,250
PC Equipment - £2,500rok
3 Piece Suite - £1,680
30 pictures (includes some limited signed ones) - £1,650
8 book cases - £600
Dining table & chairs - £750
Sideboard - £300
Dinner Service etc - £400
640 books - assume £8 each - £5,120
Camping Equipment - £400
2 Dysons - £400
TV & DVD & Stereo - £700
Motorbike misc - £500
Powertools - £350
Clothes - £3,440 (suits, djs, shirts, trousers, shoes etc etc)
Motorbike Clothes - £3,000

These figures are realistic estimates of the price to replace. I had never imagined my items would be worth anywhere near that amount. If you are a couple of have a family it could be even higher.

I will actually be doing my insurance through Letton Percival as they charge much less, although it was useful to use the PSS form as the Letton Percival one is not as detailed. I also took photos of the main items just in case!

It just goes to show that your worldly belongings are probably worth more than you expect.. And if you lose the entire container then that is a big loss!

Take the time to accurately catalogue what you have.. It may be a hassle however if you are unlucky enough you'll at least be able to make an accurate claim.

regards

Alex

Agree its the cost people should really be more aware of.

Our initial estimate came out at £4000 for the insurance so "revalued" to bring it down to a more reasonable £1K.

My issue was really trying to insure our jewery - no brokers in the UK could help. So we ended up travelling with it C2P (close to person).
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Alex,

thanks for the info. We'll also be using Letton Percival for the container insurance. Which company did you choose for your one-way travel insurance?

Good luck with the move and settling in process.

Gina
Hi Gina,

I'm flying with Emirates and spending 4 weeks in Thailand/Hong Kong on the way out. Stopping in Thailand doesn't affect the flight price and you can stay in Thailand at a nice hotel for £10-£20 a night. Booked my flights via http://www.airline-network.co.uk/ who I've used a few times before and also they sorted out one way travel insurance, although I can't remember who it is underwritten by.

I've heard a few people mention http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/emigrating.php for travel insurance.

Counting the days down until the 22nd July!

:-)

Alex