Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance for the older relatives visiting Oz.

Insurance for the older relatives visiting Oz.

Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Insurance for the older relatives visiting Oz.

Hi there,

I need some help so that I can advise my parents in law.

They have been out to Oz many times before to visit there daughter but they are now visiting again as we arrived just a few months ago so 2 out of 3 of their children (5 grand children) are now in WA.

Here's the problem. My father is law is now in his 70's so concerned about health insurance and visas. Can anyone else answer these questions? I promised I would try and and find out for them.

1) If you choose not to have health cover what is covered by medicare (they are hoping to come for 3 months to see everyone). They seem to have just the old aches and pains etc that come with old age.

2) What sort of cost is the health care for over 70's?

3) Are there any companies that you would recommend for the older traveller?

4) Do policies tend to be valid for 60/90 days etc.

5) Do they have to get a visa?

I hope this makes some sense and someone can help me find the answers for them.

Kind Regards

Poppet UK
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

GreyDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Insurance for the older relatives visiting Oz.

Poppet,

Can't help you with the answers to Q 1-4 but I think this link from the Australian High Comm in London will answer Q5 (in short the answer is yes):

http://www.australia.org.uk/lhlh/fil...ver%2070%2epdf
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi there,

I need some help so that I can advise my parents in law.

They have been out to Oz many times before to visit there daughter but they are now visiting again as we arrived just a few months ago so 2 out of 3 of their children (5 grand children) are now in WA.

Here's the problem. My father is law is now in his 70's so concerned about health insurance and visas. Can anyone else answer these questions? I promised I would try and and find out for them.

1) If you choose not to have health cover what is covered by medicare (they are hoping to come for 3 months to see everyone). They seem to have just the old aches and pains etc that come with old age.

2) What sort of cost is the health care for over 70's?

3) Are there any companies that you would recommend for the older traveller?

4) Do policies tend to be valid for 60/90 days etc.

5) Do they have to get a visa?

I hope this makes some sense and someone can help me find the answers for them.

Kind Regards

Poppet UK
Just bumping.

Been on the phone to a broker in the UK and travel insurance for the parents in law is around £600. Ouch. They want to stay for 3 months so that rules out some companies.

Anyone can offer some advice?

Did your older relatives take insurance out. What would medicare cover?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Just bumping.

Been on the phone to a broker in the UK and travel insurance for the parents in law is around £600. Ouch. They want to stay for 3 months so that rules out some companies.

Anyone??

I have found out that medicare have a reciprocal agreement with the UK government so any emergency treatment is covered.

Would appreciate any other views on this as it is worrying my parents in law.

Thanks
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:05 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Just bumping.

I'll find out from my parents (when they are awake it's night time in the UK). They are both in their 70's and have been coming every year for the past 4. They don't pay anywhere near GBP600. I'll find out who they are with. They always stay for 3 months and they normally get world wide annual insurance this way it covers them when they go to the Canaries as well.

LJJ
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

cj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant future

I have some elderly friends coming out soon. They used Saga for their insurance and I think Age Concern do insurance as well.
If anything happens they will be covered by medicare. My mum came out to Australia when she was 71 and broke her wrist, had to have operation in hospital, never paid anything as they have a reciprocal agreement with the UK.

Last edited by cj23; Jul 31st 2007 at 1:20 am.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ljj
I'll find out from my parents (when they are awake it's night time in the UK). They are both in their 70's and have been coming every year for the past 4. They don't pay anywhere near GBP600. I'll find out who they are with. They always stay for 3 months and they normally get world wide annual insurance this way it covers them when they go to the Canaries as well.

LJJ
Thanks for the responses. I knew there must be more people that visited for 3 months and were 70+. Any info is much appreciated.

Regards

PoppetUK
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

I have PM'd you