Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance claim - any builders Perth?

Insurance claim - any builders Perth?

Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:31 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Insurance claim - any builders Perth?

My insurance company sent a claims assessor to my house today, we have agreed on the following repairs/checks:

1. Check all roof tiles as water was coming in through bathroom/laundry

2. Check loft insulation in case water has got through - check whole loft

3. Repaint the wooden bit joined on to the house that has the pergola roof attached - I cant think of the name for it, he did say but Ive forgotten

4. Check the electrics as since the storm our lights have been flashing on/off periodically

5. Repaint bathroom ceiling

So we agreed on that - which was everything I pointed out and everything he agreed on.

Then he did some sums and proudly handed me a figure for $1497 and said would you accept this cash agreement? It will be quicker if you do and you need to act now, please sign here and give me your bank details and we will pay the money in.

I told him I wouldnt sign anything until I had checked it out but forgive me for being naive here, the roof and the electrics could cost that each if there was a big problem discovered?

I don't know what to do, my neighbour who is a claims assessor for another company told me not to accept it.

But how do I know how much everything is going to cost and how do I avoid someone ripping me off?

He told me not to bother getting individual quotes in and a builder should be able to quote me for everything. The electrics really do need checking and the roof as well, do I need an electrician and a builder?

If anyone can advise me I would be most grateful but I am not settling for that amount when if inside my loft is buggered it might cost that alone.

Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance claim - any builders Perth?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
My insurance company sent a claims assessor to my house today, we have agreed on the following repairs/checks:

3. Repaint the wooden bit joined on to the house that has the pergola roof attached - I cant think of the name for it, he did say but Ive forgotten

4. Check the electrics as since the storm our lights have been flashing on/off periodically

So we agreed on that - which was everything I pointed out and everything he agreed on.

Then he did some sums and proudly handed me a figure for $1497 and said would you accept this cash agreement? It will be quicker if you do and you need to act now, please sign here and give me your bank details and we will pay the money in.

I told him I wouldnt sign anything until I had checked it out but forgive me for being naive here, the roof and the electrics could cost that each if there was a big problem discovered?

I don't know what to do, my neighbour who is a claims assessor for another company told me not to accept it.

But how do I know how much everything is going to cost and how do I avoid someone ripping me off?

He told me not to bother getting individual quotes in and a builder should be able to quote me for everything. The electrics really do need checking and the roof as well, do I need an electrician and a builder?

If anyone can advise me I would be most grateful but I am not settling for that amount when if inside my loft is buggered it might cost that alone.

My first question would be, as the items havent been 'checked' how can anyone determine the cost of the repairs. I would agree with you depnding on what they find it could be a lot more than 1400 bucks.

We recently made an insurance claim (westpac) and the work they approved was done by the insurance companies choice of tradesmen we didnt have a say in anything despite being a registered building company.

However another claim, ( suncorp ) large tree through roof of house in storm the work all had to be done by original tradesmen/company and they paid the lot except the GST.

So to me it seems a little unusual to pay up before you know what it costs.

Edit This is qld not perth.

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 9th 2010 at 4:49 am.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

$1400 isn't going to get you far especially if electrics become an issue but if your other half is a sparky then it would be tempting to take the cash offer. Painters charge about $200 a day and I have no idea how much roof tilers charge if they are needed. We've all recently heard about how dodgy roof insulation can be if it's not put in properly so that would be a concern of mine. A roof insulation expert will come round your house and no doubt tell you it needs replacing, even if it didn't, just to cover his arse.

I'd wait for the insurance company to get it sorted by their people, you might have to wait along time but worth it if there are any problems further down the line like incorrect electrics or further roof tile leaks. A pain, I know, especially if the electric is playing up as you can live with an unpainted ceiling.

Good luck.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking back a few months, when our tenants trashed the house, the RE agent got in their tradesmen in case it would go to court/RTA etc.

The prices they charged from memory were insane, 150 to patch a fist punch through a door that we could have replaced for $50. $220 to clean the carpet, $500 something for the cleaners, they were there one morning!!$200 for an electrician to check the oven and replace the element. $600 something to look at and fix the hot water system - tiny unit in cupboard, probably could have bought one for that!

So 1400 probably wouldnt go far at all.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
My first question would be, as the items havent been 'checked' how can anyone determine the cost of the repairs. I would agree with you depnding on what they find it could be a lot more than 1400 bucks.

We recently made an insurance claim (westpac) and the work they approved was done by the insurance companies choice of tradesmen we didnt have a say in anything despite being a registered building company.

However another claim, ( suncorp ) large tree through roof of house in storm the work all had to be done by original tradesmen/company and they paid the lot except the GST.

So to me it seems a little unusual to pay up before you know what it costs.

Edit This is qld not perth.

This was Westpac.

I have decided not to take the offer, my next door neighbour is a claims assessor so I am going to discuss it with him tonight.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:00 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pomtastic
We've all recently heard about how dodgy roof insulation can be if it's not put in properly so that would be a concern of mine. A roof insulation expert will come round your house and no doubt tell you it needs replacing, even if it didn't, just to cover his arse.
Have to be careful, I remember seeing the news about some guy who had some work done in his roof and the tradesman got electrocuted from the wires that had been left behind from a previous trademans handywork. The home owner was successfully sued for not providing a safe working environment for the second tradesman!!!!

read this
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Have to be careful, I remember seeing the news about some guy who had some work done in his roof and the tradesman got electrocuted from the wires that had been left behind from a previous trademans handywork. The home owner was successfully sued for not providing a safe working environment for the second tradesman!!!!
Shit, now what do I do? If I get an electrician in who does a shoddy job and then the next tradie comes in an if something happens then I get the blame.

It might be easier to take the money and leave it I guess.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:08 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

think I preferred the Westpac solution were they sort everything out - that way, I assume they get the blame if there's any problems.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by coolshadows
think I preferred the Westpac solution were they sort everything out - that way, I assume they get the blame if there's any problems.
I am going to call Westpac and tell them they can organise it all. Ive just called one electrician who said for $100 he can come out and do an assessment but then I have to get someone in to look at my roof/insulation and my tiles.

So I shall call Westpac on Monday.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:19 am
Pie Eater

I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:07 am

I told the insurance company that I wouldnt accept their offer, they didnt seem surprised.

They have said I have to obtain some quotes from a builder. I thought I would have to find a roofer, electrician etc but they said a builder should do it all.

Does anyone have any experience on this or can advise me?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:52 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Sympathies, pain in the ass this, only in australia.

Dave
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:56 am

Sympathies, pain in the ass this, only in australia.

Dave[/QUOTE]

I dont know who to contact first, would a builder be a "jack of all trades' and be able to do the roof tiles, repaint areas and sort out the electrics?

Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a completely different experience than you with Westpac. We recently had an insurance claim and they have been really helpful. Organising quotes from builders, organising the carpet restorers etc. I haven't had to do anything!

Hope it all works out for you.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Rudi
I have had a completely different experience than you with Westpac. We recently had an insurance claim and they have been really helpful. Organising quotes from builders, organising the carpet restorers etc. I haven't had to do anything!

Hope it all works out for you.

Love

Rudi
x
Really? The claims assessor who works for some company hired by Westpac said I had to do it all myself.

I am going to call Westpac and talk to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.