Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Inland Revenue form P85 - Help !

Inland Revenue form P85 - Help !

Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice
Default Inland Revenue form P85 - Help !

Anyone filled this out recently?

In Section 1, it asks 'Are you leaving the UK to work?'. If you say yes you've then got to fill out Section 2 with your Employment details.

We're obviously moving to Australia to live, but will be working eventually when we find jobs. So what's the answer to the question? I've no details for Section 2 if I say yes?

Why can't they draft these forms in plain English !!

Cheers
Judy
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:08 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland Revenue form P85 - Help !

Originally Posted by Judes2308

In Section 1, it asks 'Are you leaving the UK to work?'. If you say yes you've then got to fill out Section 2 with your Employment details.

We're obviously moving to Australia to live, but will be working eventually when we find jobs. So what's the answer to the question? I've no details for Section 2 if I say yes?

Cheers
Judy
I think it means "is work sending you out on some sort of project?". I answered no to this one.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:53 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I was drafting my R105 to claim interest gross the other day.

They ask when did you leave the UK - I haven't gone yet but I can tell you roughly when I will go. I will take a guess.

And what is your new address - I don't know. I am about to become homeless so will give them a parents address (but that looks odd as it is a UK address and I am filling in a form claiming tax relief for being OUTside the UK.

So I have drafted my forms with an essay scribbled across them.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

The question is intended to detremine whether you count as non-resident for UK tax purposes - if you were leaving the UK to work abroad for say 6 months then you would continue to be classed as UK resident.

You should answer NO to the question.

It's really aimed at people who are sent to work overseas for a period of time.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Originally Posted by worzel
I was drafting my R105 to claim interest gross the other day.

They ask when did you leave the UK - I haven't gone yet but I can tell you roughly when I will go. I will take a guess.

And what is your new address - I don't know. I am about to become homeless so will give them a parents address (but that looks odd as it is a UK address and I am filling in a form claiming tax relief for being OUTside the UK.

So I have drafted my forms with an essay scribbled across them.

Hadn't got to the R105 yet but have just taken a look. Do you have to fill out a seperate form for each account? We've got 4 accounts in total but they are all with the same bank.

Thanks for all replies.

Judy
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:39 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hadn't got to the R105 yet but have just taken a look. Do you have to fill out a seperate form for each account? We've got 4 accounts in total but they are all with the same bank.

Thanks for all replies.

Judy
I think you do need a separate form for each account but then how many accounts will you leave open? We will have a savings account and a current account only left by the time we go.

If you ask the particular branch they have their own version of the forms I am told. This may mean you only need one form for each account with that institution.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:43 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Judy
I put yes but probably should have said no. I have filled out 2 P85's now as they sent me a second one cos likely they didn't check their records! Grr! They asked if I was intending to remain in Oz so i wrote them a snotty letter telling them that if they had checked their records they would know that my move was a permanent one as indicated on my previous P85 i had sent. Havent heard anything back yet. It is a confusing question though. Probably best to send a cover letter too to explain your intentions. Thats what i did.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

jacksoo is on a distinguished road

Just Spoke With Inalnd Revenue Re Completion Of Form For Myself & Wife. Had Same Question And Was Told "the Form Is Very Old" "answer Yes But In Section 2 Just Write 'non Uk Contract' And Go To Next Section" Hope This Helps.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:59 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by jacksoo
Just Spoke With Inalnd Revenue Re Completion Of Form For Myself & Wife. Had Same Question And Was Told "the Form Is Very Old" "answer Yes But In Section 2 Just Write 'non Uk Contract' And Go To Next Section" Hope This Helps.
I guessed right!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Whats this all about??

Do we all have to fill in thes forms??

HELP
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Your tax is calculated based on a full working year. If you're leaving before Apr 5 2006 then you should get a refund by completing form P85 and returning to your tax office.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Your tax is calculated based on a full working year. If you're leaving before Apr 5 2006 then you should get a refund by completing form P85 and returning to your tax office.
thank you
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

moke is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it as simple as that though, can I trust them to refund the correct amount? Or should I take professional advice regardless?
Thanks,
Dean.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

I guess you should do what you're most comfortable with. I'm happy they'll do the correct calculation and will ask for illustration on how they completed it anyway - but that's me!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

the3leadbetters is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you have to wait until you have your P45 before you fill in your P85 - is this correct?

Any idea how long they take to sort it all out?

Gill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.