Initial costs

Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default Initial costs

What did people find to be the things that they spent the most money on when 1st arriving in Oz ? ie, buying a car, rental bond etc etc ?

Just trying to get a rough idea from people as we dont want to convert too much money initially....

thanks!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Initial costs

Hi
Congratulations on getting the visa and starting the move.

I noticed from another thread that your husband is a sheet metal worker/thermal insulation engineer. Can I ask what visa you applied for?

My hubbie passed an apprenticeship in sheet metal and thermal craft, now been working as a welder/fabricator for past 6 years, we just missed out on the removal of pathway d. We are trying to find another path to get to Oz.

Thanks

Sonya
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:37 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial costs

Originally Posted by travelbug
What did people find to be the things that they spent the most money on when 1st arriving in Oz ? ie, buying a car, rental bond etc etc ?

Just trying to get a rough idea from people as we dont want to convert too much money initially....

thanks!
We had about $11.5k with us when we moved, which was spent on bond / rent, driving licence, deposit on a car and I can't really remember what else. We had 4-5 weeks off before starting work and we were running pretty low by the time pay-day came around.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Burkins
Hi
Congratulations on getting the visa and starting the move.

I noticed from another thread that your husband is a sheet metal worker/thermal insulation engineer. Can I ask what visa you applied for?

My hubbie passed an apprenticeship in sheet metal and thermal craft, now been working as a welder/fabricator for past 6 years, we just missed out on the removal of pathway d. We are trying to find another path to get to Oz.

Thanks

Sonya

Hi Sonya, we received our visa's last April - took us about 18months from start to finish... We used an agent as my OH didnt have any formal qualifications as he never fully completed his apprenticeship years ago but had worked in the trade for more than 20years - so thankfully we could apply with references etc to prove his experience. Luckily we managed to make contact with enough old employees and they gave very detailed references listing all the tools etc he could use / and exactly what the work had entailed.
Our visa is a 136 - as a 1st class sheet metal worker.
Have you chatted to any agents? We used GoMatilda and they were very good....might be worth speaking to one of the guys there to see what they say.
Sorry i cant help you further.... I hope you manage to sort something out - because believe me - we've seen loads of jobs advertised for both sheet metal workers and welders/fabricators all over Oz...
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wmoore
We had about $11.5k with us when we moved, which was spent on bond / rent, driving licence, deposit on a car and I can't really remember what else. We had 4-5 weeks off before starting work and we were running pretty low by the time pay-day came around.
Hi - thanks for that.... I think that's roughly the figure we might try to take initially so's not to convert too much. If we run out we'll just have to convert a little bit more But hopefully the OH would be working in roughly the same timeframe you had....so with a bit of luck not too much dipping into the equity will be needed..