Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Initial accommodation in brisbane

Initial accommodation in brisbane

Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:25 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Initial accommodation in brisbane

Hi,

We've taken the Plunge and booked our flights, arriving 13th September in brisbane. Now struggling to find any decent accommodation at reasonable rates, best we can find is somewhere just north of northlakes for £530+ p/w. we have friends we could Probably stay with at a push but I'm worried we won't be friends after we've left

Circumstances have been beyond our control regarding timescales, house exchange of contracts happened months after it should have done hence the short notice to try and secure flights and initial accommodation. Would prefer to be in north Brisbane as we plan to try for a rental in sandgate or surrounding suburbs. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. There are 4 of us in total

I've scoured the usual websites and have drawn a blank, lots of suitable places but all unavailable

Cheers for reading and any suggestions

Last edited by rinkerdink; Jul 18th 2012 at 7:26 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Initial accommodation in brisbane

What kind of accommodation and where abouts are you wanting to live?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:07 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
What kind of accommodation and where abouts are you wanting to live?
2-3 bedrooms in northern suburbs Brisbane, that's pretty much it
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

North Lakes is fairly far out. Im looking round 8-10km out and theres loads of houses 3-4 bed for $350-450 a week. Areas like Chermside, Carseldine, Bridgeman downs, McDowall..

Have you used www.realestate.com.au ?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/wi...ocation-search
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

I can recommend this place. http://www.milton-motel.com.au/

They are near the CBD and near the Milton train station.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:05 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

GBP530 or $530?? Sandgate/Shorncliffe/Brighton - all very under rated areas in my opinion.

How about this place?
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...iffe-405248902

3 mins walk from the train to the city (30mins).

3 mins walk to a lovely park and the waterfront.

2 mins walk to the local pub!

edit - sorry, I misread your post... if you're looking for initial accommodation, I have a feeling that you'll need to look in areas that have holiday rentals. Places like redcliffe/scarborough have a few. But there are plenty more up at caloundra. With a bit of investigation I'm sure you'll get a suitable holiday place for 4 weeks for $2000 to $2200, easy. Will take some phone calls though. Good luck !

Last edited by asprilla; Jul 19th 2012 at 1:09 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:20 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Originally Posted by asprilla
GBP530 or $530?? Sandgate/Shorncliffe/Brighton - all very under rated areas in my opinion.

How about this place?
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...iffe-405248902

3 mins walk from the train to the city (30mins).

3 mins walk to a lovely park and the waterfront.

2 mins walk to the local pub!

edit - sorry, I misread your post... if you're looking for initial accommodation, I have a feeling that you'll need to look in areas that have holiday rentals. Places like redcliffe/scarborough have a few. But there are plenty more up at caloundra. With a bit of investigation I'm sure you'll get a suitable holiday place for 4 weeks for $2000 to $2200, easy. Will take some phone calls though. Good luck !
I hear you, just finding any available is the problem, looks like we'll take the one by northlakes and grab a firm rental asap
Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:42 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

"Initial accommodation" presumably means you are looking for a furnished rental, and they are much harder to find - you are basically looking at a serviced apartment or holiday let which are much more pricey. You just have to grin and bear it until your container arrives.