Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Inheritance in the UK, tax liability in Australia

Inheritance in the UK, tax liability in Australia

Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:53 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inheritance in the UK, tax liability in Australia

I have received a small inheritance in the UK. I won't be bringing it over just yet as the exchange rate is poo! Does anyone know if I have any tax liability in Australia while it remains in a UK bank and any liability when I eventually bring it over? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default Re: Inheritance in the UK, tax liability in Australia

Originally Posted by northernbird
I have received a small inheritance in the UK. I won't be bringing it over just yet as the exchange rate is poo! Does anyone know if I have any tax liability in Australia while it remains in a UK bank and any liability when I eventually bring it over? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
If the amount is over $10,000 it will be reported and you may be asked to explain yourself (money laundering/drug money/procedes of crime ect).

A friend of mine recently inherited a large sum of money. He has not declared it and has not been asked to either. As that friend is now not working (retirement age) he has no intention of declaring it. Time will tell if he gets away with it.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Barney
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

The inheritance itself is not taxable on the recipient, but any interest arising on the capital sum will be, regardless of where in the world the money is if you are a permanent resident.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
The inheritance itself is not taxable on the recipient, but any interest arising on the capital sum will be, regardless of where in the world the money is if you are a permanent resident.
If said person were to hold a uk bank account, they could withdraw it from cash machine in Aus and no one would ever find out, unless they did the honest thing and declared it. But charges for taking money out would probably be more than the tax???
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

On your Oz tax return, you will need to state interest received on overseas bank accounts etc and the tax which as been deducted by the country where the money is invested (if any).

So with us, the Abbey National would not accept the Inland Revenue (IR)forms saying that we don't have to pay tax on our savings - insted they wanted us to open Abbey offshore accounts, we did not want the hassle so left the money there. Therefore the IR take their cut of our interest in the UK then we declare the interest plus the IR on our Oz tax return..under the 'double taxation rules' the net interest from the UK is not taxed again in Oz.

There are parts on the tax form though that require you to state gains on currency conversions etc, but really I would not worry too much.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by northernbird
From the horses mouth

Q: I'm about to inherit a large amount of money. Do I have to pay tax?

A:
  • If you inherit money you don't have to pay tax on it.
  • In fact, you don't even need to declare it on your tax return.
  • Tax must be paid if that money is invested and you earn income from it.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co....htm&page=2&H2